Titleist 714 AP2 - THP Review Thread

Agreed that they aren't for the same type of player. Although they are forgiving they are not AP1 forgiving.

Right, however they do advertise the AP2 as a club with forgiveness.

In comparison to a traditional CB style club.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Right, however they do advertise the AP2 as a club with forgiveness.

But doesn't every company? And every set almost?

Well, it's almost time for my true test with the irons (and a slightly revamped swing). This weekend will have a lesson, one range session, and hopefully, at least 9 holes, before a tournament on Monday. I fully expect the 7 - PW to work well for me; I haven't quite knocked the rust off of the mid and long iron swing, yet. Forecast has the potential for some dampness, though, so I might get to see how the turf interaction changes with wet ground conditions.

Well, it's almost time for my true test with the irons (and a slightly revamped swing). This weekend will have a lesson, one range session, and hopefully, at least 9 holes, before a tournament on Monday. I fully expect the 7 - PW to work well for me; I haven't quite knocked the rust off of the mid and long iron swing, yet. Forecast has the potential for some dampness, though, so I might get to see how the turf interaction changes with wet ground conditions.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 4-6 irons as well. They are much more forgiving than I expected. Full disclosure, I have played blades my entire life.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 4-6 irons as well. They are much more forgiving than I expected. Full disclosure, I have played blades my entire life.

Good to hear (and I feel confident that I'll get there, eventually). Every few swings, I catch one the way I intend to, and the results are very nice.

Just a side-note regarding distance... Obviously, all of the manufacturers, including Titleist, are touting increased distance with irons (some more than others). As I demo-ed irons, I found myself really paying attention to how far I was hitting a club versus other options. For some reason, I didn't do that with the AP2s. The dispersion was better, but the distance was less, on average. I don't have any expectations to hit a 200 yard 6-iron with these; I do expect a 180 6-iron, when the swing hopefully comes together. I do have the expectation that "I" will put these closer to my intended target, though.

Good to hear (and I feel confident that I'll get there, eventually). Every few swings, I catch one the way I intend to, and the results are very nice.

Just a side-note regarding distance... Obviously, all of the manufacturers, including Titleist, are touting increased distance with irons (some more than others). As I demo-ed irons, I found myself really paying attention to how far I was hitting a club versus other options. For some reason, I didn't do that with the AP2s. The dispersion was better, but the distance was less, on average. I don't have any expectations to hit a 200 yard 6-iron with these; I do expect a 180 6-iron, when the swing hopefully comes together. I do have the expectation that "I" will put these closer to my intended target, though.

My distances have been nearly identical to the last set I gamed regularly - cobra amp pros. Almost to a yard.

Rambler, FWIW I had similar distance observations with them during review, not the longest out there for the tech they have in them, but not the shortest either. A lot like the TM CB's to me, not going to wow you there but don't disappoint either.

Rambler, FWIW I had similar distance observations with them during review, not the longest out there for the tech they have in them, but not the shortest either. A lot like the TM CB's to me, not going to wow you there but don't disappoint either.

Good to know, Jman. I feel like it eliminates a variable for me... I don't expect to get a little "extra" out of an iron swing. (Leave that to the woods/hybrids. Hah! :alien:)

Good to know, Jman. I feel like it eliminates a variable for me... I don't expect to get a little "extra" out of an iron swing. (Leave that to the woods/hybrids. Hah! :alien:)

But what you say is true. For me, iron play is all about getting what you expect to get- repeatable distance whatever that is. That repeatablity is there in spades with these

Having played some real golf (finally!!), I have some updated feedback. Below link was put in the Recoil review thread...
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=3024114&viewfull=1#post3024114

Basically, I am really happy with my iron set-up. I toyed with an Apex/Recoil ponder over the last week, but rounds this past weekend put that ponder to rest. Performance is what it's supposed to be - put a good swing on them; get a good result. Put a crappy swing, get a crappy result. Although, I continue to be impressed with the forgiveness on thin hits and slightly toe-ey hits. Posted a PB front-9 this weekend (before my FW and sand game bit me on the back 9), and a lot of that was due to getting solid results from the AP2/Recoil combination.

I don't think this is an AP2 specific topic, so I'll ponder posting a separate thread... I have run into some interesting approach shot spin findings... I have never been one to play for a lot of spin coming into the greens; play for some roll-out, even with premium balls. However, I have had non-premium golf balls "dancing" on a number of occasions, this season. Yesterday, I played a couple of more premium golf balls, and I couldn't get the same spin performance out of them. Anyone else run into this? Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Just wanted to mention this here. Yesterday I was almost a club longer with the AP 2's than my previous set. It wasn't overly hot or warm or windy either. And lord knows I haven't been in the gym much lately. I think as my game rounds into form this year these results should hold. I was consistently 10 yards longer with all my irons almost exactly. I had two situations when I hit a 9 iron from a normal 9 iron distance for me - 150- and airmailed the green completely. After 2 times I learned my lesson and hit a PW from 147 to within 10 feet. I haven't had that distance since I started gaming players irons. Point being, the distance is even better than I expected from these.

Glad you're seeing some additional distance. I'm still not seeing it, and still not worried. :act-up: Of course, that is mostly due to a swing flaw that leaks distance. Maybe I'll make some progress on that next off-season.

I am generally getting very good results with these. My misses are an occasional push or just turning it a bit too much right-to-left, but overall, very predictable. Iron play was definitely a strength during my last tournament, and I expect that to continue. I don't know that it is specifically associated with the irons, but I am seeing very good spin on approach shots as well, even with non-premium golf balls.

Glad you're seeing some additional distance. I'm still not seeing it, and still not worried. :act-up: Of course, that is mostly due to a swing flaw that leaks distance. Maybe I'll make some progress on that next off-season.

I am generally getting very good results with these. My misses are an occasional push or just turning it a bit too much right-to-left, but overall, very predictable. Iron play was definitely a strength during my last tournament, and I expect that to continue. I don't know that it is specifically associated with the irons, but I am seeing very good spin on approach shots as well, even with non-premium golf balls.

Dude it was weird. I wish I could say it's a mechanical thing but I know it's not. I am a good ball striker and this is my first non-blade set of irons in 4 years so maybe I'm just finding the larger sweet spot more, but man it was crazy to hit a 9 iron 160ish. I agree with your take too. They are predictable and misses are very manageable.

Dude it was weird. I wish I could say it's a mechanical thing but I know it's not. I am a good ball striker and this is my first non-blade set of irons in 4 years so maybe I'm just finding the larger sweet spot more, but man it was crazy to hit a 9 iron 160ish. I agree with your take too. They are predictable and misses are very manageable.

That's really interesting, and a good benefit for the change. I will say, that on clean hits, I found the 714 CBs to be a half-club longer than the AP2s for my swing. But, the incremental forgiveness in the AP2s won out.

That's really interesting, and a good benefit for the change. I will say, that on clean hits, I found the 714 CBs to be a half-club longer than the AP2s for my swing. But, the incremental forgiveness in the AP2s won out.

Really? Holy carp. I better not swing those right now haha - totally agree alittle more forgiveness is a nice change

Just wanted to mention this here. Yesterday I was almost a club longer with the AP 2's than my previous set. It wasn't overly hot or warm or windy either. And lord knows I haven't been in the gym much lately. I think as my game rounds into form this year these results should hold. I was consistently 10 yards longer with all my irons almost exactly. I had two situations when I hit a 9 iron from a normal 9 iron distance for me - 150- and airmailed the green completely. After 2 times I learned my lesson and hit a PW from 147 to within 10 feet. I haven't had that distance since I started gaming players irons. Point being, the distance is even better than I expected from these.

That's really great! I was on the brink of buying these but the Apex Pros just felt too good. I found these to be about a half club shorter than the Apex Pros, but that's not why I didn't get them. I can live with whatever distance a club gives me and club up/down as needed.

It's awesome when you find out that you can hit a club longer than your last set. I had that this past weekend with a 4 iron from a sand trap from 180. I thought it would maybe get to the green, but then I flew right over the top.

I love the look and feel of the AP2s and feel that one day I'll own a set.

That's really great! I was on the brink of buying these but the Apex Pros just felt too good. I found these to be about a half club shorter than the Apex Pros, but that's not why I didn't get them. I can live with whatever distance a club gives me and club up/down as needed.

It's awesome when you find out that you can hit a club longer than your last set. I had that this past weekend with a 4 iron from a sand trap from 180. I thought it would maybe get to the green, but then I flew right over the top.

I love the look and feel of the AP2s and feel that one day I'll own a set.

Totally agree dude. If you can hit it whatever number you expect - that is the point. I was posting because I was surprised. I certainly didn't buy them for that as they aren't an advertised distance iron. It was a sweet added bonus!

Totally agree dude. If you can hit it whatever number you expect - that is the point. I was posting because I was surprised. I certainly didn't buy them for that as they aren't an advertised distance iron. It was a sweet added bonus!

No doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pulled the plug on these....switching from i20's to the AP2's.....

instantly felt let the weight difference....was just checking out the projectx6.0 vs. my 5.5 in the I20's and was shocked to feel the weight difference...

made mention to the pro and asked them to validate it was indeed a PX6.0...but was just the increase (albeit slight) in head weight flexing shaft differently, causing it to feel softer...

for me, I really wanted to like the i20's, loved the shafts (dispersion) never had gotten used to flight....

within 3 swings of the AP2's with Projectx 6.0 in them, I walked into pro shop and said order them....

instantly precise dispersion, repeatable hits, shaft and head are perfect for my swing...really looking forward to gaming these!!!!

clubs get here tomorrow....really looking forward to range time tomorrow through Friday, and big tournament Saturday Sunday...

changes from Ping set above will be standard loft, and going to a projectX 6.0 shaft...

LOVED the flight and consistency with the made up set from the cart...if the clubs have the same feel...will be PERFECT!!!!

Sweet. I really like the Ap1 714s. Nice compact head with a perfect amount of offset. I would spend too much to customize. The 5 iron comes standard 37.5" which is a half inch shorter than most other standard 38" lengths. Might look for some heads on ebay though and have my assistant pro help me build them for kicks.

Sweet. I really like the Ap1 714s. Nice compact head with a perfect amount of offset. I would spend too much to customize. The 5 iron comes standard 37.5" which is a half inch shorter than most other standard 38" lengths. Might look for some heads on ebay though and have my assistant pro help me build them for kicks.

are you sure you are looking at the 5 iron specs? Both AP1 and AP2 seem to list 38" as the length

4 days into these...Really really love the workability...think draw, and it draws...nice controllable draw as well...Distances are very true, definitely higher ball flight than the I20's...Misses on the toe (not the tip of toe) are penalized with distnace only, nothing severe...

played a tournament with them after 2 days of playing them, and they felt great, REALLY wet conditions so misses were mostly fat....

however, really really loving how these clubs really reward a smooth swing...the smoother the swing the better the outcome...

am surprised with the trajectory, but it played incredibly well for me on the tournament...example...187 to the pin, elevated green...pulled 6 iron, lots of wind, sitting in the fairway so was able to get good spin, and the ball went exactly the right distance, stopped on the green (one hop, about 8 feet) then rolled a few feet to stop pin high....the higher trajectory at end of distance (best I can describe) allows the ball to sit down nicely...

noticed the same thing on my home course in dry conditions, and normally not soft greens...home courses greens are NOT greens you hit your yardage, and it will stop/drop and spin back...they are designed to be played from very specific areas (typical Robert Trent Jones Sr. greens) they make you place your shot, and play for position and reward it...

Really happy I went with the Projectx 6.0's the 5.5's on my i20's were a little soft...

Back