Help me decide again! Club overlap!

clidefr0g

Reaction score
Handicap
I need 1 more club to fill my bag, my signature has all my current clubs. One that isnt listed is a 64° wedge, Ive literally used it once and my shot went 20 feet in the air and 4 feet in front of me. It will be this 64° that I am replacing for my last club.

Im leaning towards a 5 wood or a 5 hybrid but I dont want too much club overlap and I really have no idea what the "average" distance for each specific club is supposed to be. I tried searching google for some reference chart or something that would give basic yardages for each club head.

Distances are completely dependent on you. There really can't be any charts per say. You just have to put in some due diligence and determine your distances.

If you are happy with all of your gaps, I'd throw a 60° wedge in there.

If you're looking to fill a gap, I'd say the 5 wood would likely be better (though I don't know your distances). Should be a little further than the 3h is. The 5h would almost assuredly overlap one of your irons, since you're 4-PW. Unless you want the 5h for longer shots out of the rough or something, where your irons might get more tangled up.

Which do hit better or at least like to hit? The 3W or 3H? I would probably go with the 5W or 5H of which one you have the most confidence in wood or hybrid already.

The 60° wedge makes the most sense unless there is a hole in the gap between your 3W and 3H, then the 5W.

I need 1 more club to fill my bag, my signature has all my current clubs. One that isnt listed is a 64° wedge, Ive literally used it once and my shot went 20 feet in the air and 4 feet in front of me. It will be this 64° that I am replacing for my last club.

Im leaning towards a 5 wood or a 5 hybrid but I dont want too much club overlap and I really have no idea what the "average" distance for each specific club is supposed to be. I tried searching google for some reference chart or something that would give basic yardages for each club head.

IMHO .... most of your irons should already be accurately spaced out. I feel like most of the gaps should be in your scoring clubs ... your wedges. Find out where your misses are? Do you leave it short with a 56* SW but are long with a 48* wedge ... then you need a 52* wedge. Most of the gaps in the wedges are usually about 4*. These are the scoring clubs and can make the difference between you hitting the green or getting up and down for par. Why try and hit a hard 56* and put too much spin on it ... or try and take something off a 48* wedge ... that takes too much precision and practice. How often are you hitting a 5 wood in a round? I'd say maybe twice if your lucky. But how many times do you hit the wedge? Too numerous to count.
My favorite club in the bag is the 50* wedge that I have bent to 52* ... I use it for shots from 100 yards and in ... also around the green for short pitches. My gap is filled .... 48*, 52*, 56*. By the way, I have never carried a 60* or 64* ... it's just as easy to open the face of a 56* to achieve the same result. As long as you have the correct bounce for your type of swing and game.
Just my 2 cents worth :act-up:

If you are happy with your current setup, I would suggest a LH club for getting out of trouble.

I have like 3 extra slots in my bag right now (without the hybrids in), have played with a spare slot for the past year.

A LH 7i is on my search list right now, just for those predicaments when I am in some serious trouble. It might be a waste to carry it most of the time, but could come in handy sometimes. (Just my opinion though. Your bag is pretty well spaced, and I would assume you don't have any large gaps you need filled.)

Thanks for the responses guys. I feel currently as if my wedge gaps are fine. I have a larger gap from P to 52 since my P is actually 45. Ive been thinking about getting my 45 bent to 47 or 48, and as one person mentioned you can easily open the face of a 56 to get a more 60ish shot shape. Im using an average bounce on both my cleveland wedges (2 dot on both, dont have the chart infront of me for the °).

A question regarding club distance though, shouldn't it not matter how I hit the club or you hit it, or the other guy next to you. Does each club not have a "General use", the driver is obviously for the longest distance, the next club in line is for shorter distance, each club should have a "control" distance and purpose regardless of how an individual may strike with the club?

I dont want to overlap with the 5W and my 3H or my 4I or any other clubs for that matter, but I dont have the technology or swing consistency to accurately measure my clubs yet.

so far I have a few votes for 5w a few votes for 60° wedge, and one vote for a 5h which I too believe will overlap with my 4I

If you are happy with your gaps, just leave an empty slot. It's less to think about on the course.

If you're just dying to fill that slot, but are happy with the gaps, look at a thriver. Get a higher lofted, shorter shafted driver that you can pull out when you just have to hit the fairway. That would do more to help your score than anything else and I say this as someone with a similar handicap. The higher handicapper's score is most closely linked to FWs hit.

My two cents is ditch the 3 wood, get a 5 wood, then a lob wedge. I think the 5 or 7 wood gives much more options than a 3 wood which is a tee only club for most mid-high caps.

I would venture to guess your biggest gap would be between your Mizuno 4i and your TM 3 hybrid. Maybe a TM 4 hybrid would fill in that gap.

A question regarding club distance though, shouldn't it not matter how I hit the club or you hit it, or the other guy next to you. Does each club not have a "General use", the driver is obviously for the longest distance, the next club in line is for shorter distance, each club should have a "control" distance and purpose regardless of how an individual may strike with the club?

I dont want to overlap with the 5W and my 3H or my 4I or any other clubs for that matter, but I dont have the technology or swing consistency to accurately measure my clubs yet.

....why waste the money then?

I agree with you, you don't really need a 60 or 64 if you can open the 56 for flops. You just don't use it that much.

I'm voting for a high launching 5w, for that long shot at about 230 that you want to get over a hazard and stop. This shouldn't overlap your 3h much.

Back