How do I stop doing this?

widespot

Reaction score
Handicap
Note the bowed wrist. I literally cannot replicate this on practice swings. Looking at my swing in the mirror? Don't do it. Even when trying my hardest not to I cannot not bow on a actual swing. Odd thing is I've managed to miss to the right most of the time. Unless I play for it, then it goes left.

ega3yqyv.jpg

Dustin Johnson does it. If your impact is fine and you're not hitting too many bad shots don't worry about it

Note the bowed wrist. I literally cannot replicate this on practice swings. Looking at my swing in the mirror? Don't do it. Even when trying my hardest not to I cannot not bow on a actual swing. Odd thing is I've managed to miss to the right most of the time. Unless I play for it, then it goes left.

ega3yqyv.jpg

What is your typical ball flight and shot pattern? Does it only go left when you play for it. Do you possibly have a video of the start of the downswing?

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I would say my typical ball flight is left to right, more like center to right though. It does seem like when I set up a little left in anticipation of the fade it goes strait or pull hooks a little on me. It's infuriating. I can upload a video later. In looking at it I seem to do a pretty good job of adjusting, but it adds a lot of un-needed effort and it's impossible for me to get the timing right consistently.

I could be wrong but doesn't taking a stronger grip (bring the left hand over to show more knuckles) help eliminate some of the hand rotation that leads to the bowed wrist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bowed wrist isn't the issue. It's the length of your back swing in connection with your first move down to the ball. Your first move puts you out in front of thee ball. This mean in order to make solid contact you have to hold everything and allow the club to catch up. This results in an improper turn through the ball and hence a slight block to the right. If you manage to release the club you get a pull hook.

Now ow the length of back swing can work for you provide the sequence is correct. As high as your hands are you can either reroute the club on a flatter plane or make sure when the hips start the down swing you are dropping the hands into your right front pocket and pulling the butt of the club down toward the ball. This I'm combination of working behind the ball or keeping your head behind the ball will produce a straight to draw shot shape with a high trajectory.

The bowed wrist isn't the issue. It's the length of your back swing in connection with your first move down to the ball. Your first move puts you out in front of thee ball. This mean in order to make solid contact you have to hold everything and allow the club to catch up. This results in an improper turn through the ball and hence a slight block to the right. If you manage to release the club you get a pull hook.

Now ow the length of back swing can work for you provide the sequence is correct. As high as your hands are you can either reroute the club on a flatter plane or make sure when the hips start the down swing you are dropping the hands into your right front pocket and pulling the butt of the club down toward the ball. This I'm combination of working behind the ball or keeping your head behind the ball will produce a straight to draw shot shape with a high trajectory.

Thanks Freddie, that makes some sense. There were some text corrections in there that are confusing me though.

You seem to be on the same page as my instructor. He isn't worried about the bow either. Last lesson I worked on staying behind the ball and letting my momentum pull through. It does seem like whenever I Try to start with my hips it ends up 2 fairways to the right.

Back