Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridges on the crown just seem weird.

Definately an interesting design and concept. If the sole/crown technology works, I'd put it in play in a heartbeat.

I'd imagine the turbulators are something you'd get used to quickly, especially if you're getting a bit more head speed. For me, the strange thing is that I've never been able to hit the Ping G-series drivers well, even though they're pretty much made for someone like me, who will take all the forgiveness they can on the tee. It might be something about the head shape that just doesn't suit my eye. I do look forward to giving this a shot to see if that changes with the G30.

I wonder if you can chip off or dent a turbulator with a misshit on the top of the crown

While I never love the look of Pings Drivers the results are usually so good ill take that.

I can't really see the ridges bothering me. Faster swing speed is good but Id be more interested in how this thing performs across the face

Currently game the i20 driver and love everything about it, but this has spiked an interests for sure!

I believe the the turbonators are there for aerodynamics. These will basically smooth and straighten the air as it goes over the top of the crown and down off the back of the crown. You will see these a lot on semis at the back of the cab to straighten and help airflow off the cab and down the sides of the trailer. These will also help speed up the air as the clubhead passes through the air by directing the air into a smaller space and straightening it.

I think this is going to be the next wave of innovation. Adams dabbled in the aerodynamics of golf a few years ago, but I think this is going to be the next wave of it. The OE's are figuring out that we are swinging a barn through the wind at 100+ mph and that aero and air play a role in how fast you can swing that barn. I personally like it. I can see a bigger benefit coming from reduced drag and better aerodynamics than a slot in the head.

This is more or less correct. They are typically called "vortex generators", and will (in theory, anyway) trip the boundary layer of airflow on the surface of the crown from a laminar state to a turbulent state, which helps prevent and/or delay flow separation from the clubhead, which reduces drag and should increase clubhead speed. You will see similar devices on the leading edge of aircraft wings - can typically see them pretty well if you are seated over the wing.

Aerospace engineer nerd moment over now. :alien:

Give Ping some credit for coming up with something new. The matte black finish is solid and my guess is the fins won't seem as drastic at address.

Give Ping some credit for coming up with something new. The matte black finish is solid and my guess is the fins won't seem as drastic at address.

And knowing ping, I'm guessing if they put these there, they actually do something.

If it makes the ball go straight, I don't care if it's got a buzzard tattooed on the crown.

I hit this club about 2 weeks ago....Stopped by the range and the Ping rep was there with the pro hitting it.....I think the club looks really good at address...I didn't even hardly notice the ridges on the top at address....they certainly didn't distract me.
I hit the 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft...I liked the club and it has a little different sound do from my G20. I found the club very easy to hit ....My normal ball flight was there ...a slight draw...
I would recommend taking a look at this club when it comes out....The stock shaft in it was blue and it matched up well with blue on the bottom of the club.

Also...the rep told me he gained 2 mph of club head speed with the ridges on the top....Sounds like sales talk to me...
Joe

I hit this club about 2 weeks ago....Stopped by the range and the Ping rep was there with the pro hitting it.....I think the club looks really good at address...I didn't even hardly notice the ridges on the top at address....they certainly didn't distract me.
I hit the 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft...I liked the club and it has a little different sound do from my G20. I found the club very easy to hit ....My normal ball flight was there ...a slight draw...
I would recommend taking a look at this club when it comes out....The stock shaft in it was blue and it matched up well with blue on the bottom of the club.

Also...the rep told me he gained 2 mph of club head speed with the ridges on the top....Sounds like sales talk to me...
Joe

Any idea what the stock shaft is?

I'm excited about this club for two reasons.

1. Because I'm interested to see if I can get a free 1-2MPH out of some wings.
2. Because I need a G25 8.5° head and a G30 will bring that price of a used one down!

Since moving to the G25 I've had my best driving days so far. I'm excited to see if the G30 can improve on an already perfect driver.

Looking at the pic it seems there are more adjustments on the adapter as well as possibly a weight kit option for the rear weight.

If it makes the ball go straight, I don't care if it's got a buzzard tattooed on the crown.

Now that is something I might game!

I actually think it looks good, I'd love to go give one a try.

I'm pretty sure the rep said the stock shaft is made by Aldila.....

Interesting to say the least. I guess Ping is willing to try everything. Can't fault them for that.

It's a Ping driver, so it's guaranteed to be long and ridiculously east to hit. The turbulators don't bother me and Ping isn't prone to "gimmicks". I am assuming the technology is sound and can't wait to hit it.

what is this, a Klingon driver?

seriously, the sole looks so sweet, and crown makes me want to cry...

I'm pretty sure the rep said the stock shaft is made by Aldila.....

Could it be the Tour Blue? That is a pretty popular option and stock on some offerings out there.

Could it be the Tour Blue? That is a pretty popular option and stock on some offerings out there.

I can guarantee its a Ping made for shaft. Maybe a deviation on the PWR line from the I25 woods.

I can guarantee its a Ping made for shaft. Maybe a deviation on the PWR line from the I25 woods.

You're right, they do have that line and make great stock shaft pairings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back