Help me correct my slice - Video

michaelandaz

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I've been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now and finally decided to register.

I've been playing golf for a number years now but I only recently joined a club and started playing on a more regular basis. I'm 24 years old and I play off 18.

I have a tendency to hit an unwanted fade with my driver along with my woods, rescue clubs and long irons. I used to be able to draw the ball when I was younger and I would love to be able to get it back.

I'm currently using Taylor Made RAC OS irons which are quite outdated and I'm sure some new fitted clubs would help my game. I can carry my 7 iron around 140 yards and I hit my driver around 200 yards. I would like to get better at ball striking to increase my carry distance as I sometimes duff or top some of my shots.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the video.

http://youtu.be/EnOamy7OAn8

Last edited:
Have you considered getting lessons? They have helped me tremendously through the years. New clubs won't correct the problem. I'll say your swing looks pretty good man, I think your slice is caused by you coming over the top on your down swing. I know that's why I use to slice. I'm sure Freddie will help with some more info

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about giving lessons a go. My local driving range offers 6 half hour lessons for £90. Do you think this is good value? Do you think I would see a significant improvement in my game after a few lessons?

I guess the reason I have never had lessons before is because none of my playing partners have had lessons. Therefore, I am interested to hear experiences from others who have seen an improvement after lessons.

Man you have so many good things happening in your swing. To answer your question about the value of lessons the answer is YES, at that price it's a steal, specially if they provide video, I just had my 7th lesson since December of last year and my ball striking has improved tremendously.

Just a couple of things that I could see in your swing, you have good flexibility but on the downswing you are casting the club causing you to go over the top, what is helping me with that is holding my wrist angle longer and not releasing until my hands are just past the ball, along with keeping my left arm straight until after impact.

first of all, you have a great athletic move--I think once you get squared up by Freddie here, you will have no problem pounding the ball out there. I am not a pro so I wont talk fixes, but you can see most clearly in the down the line view where you come out across the back of the ball "over the top" as they say. Rather than give you the basic internet Band-Aid fixes I have heard, I will let Freddie talk about the corrective drills to help out.

I like to use the v1 home edition to look at the swing frame by frame to help self-diagnose issues, but as the guys mentioned above I think a decent pro could help you with the over the top portion right away. Again you have a very athletic swing and will gain a ton of distance just from learning to fix the fundamentals.

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about giving lessons a go. My local driving range offers 6 half hour lessons for £90. Do you think this is good value? Do you think I would see a significant improvement in my game after a few lessons?

I guess the reason I have never had lessons before is because none of my playing partners have had lessons. Therefore, I am interested to hear experiences from others who have seen an improvement after lessons.

Just out of curiosity, where in the area are you and which range are you talking about as I too am in the north-east so maybe a round might be in order at some point

Thanks for all of your comments. I think I'm going to get my self some lessons.

Just out of curiosity, where in the area are you and which range are you talking about as I too am in the north-east so maybe a round might be in order at some point

I live in Chester-le-Street. I was referring to Parklands Golf Course in Gosforth, Newcastle. It seems to be the best driving range around here I think.

You are bascially coming across the ball from right to left causing the club to give the ball a slice spin. Freddie should be able to your path straitened out to get you in a better postion at the take away and top to get you swinging down the line and not across it

Thanks for all of your comments. I think I'm going to get my self some lessons.

I live in Chester-le-Street. I was referring to Parklands Golf Course in Gosforth, Newcastle. It seems to be the best driving range around here I think.

Live in Darlington here, but tend to head to Ramside after work at the moment and just joined Knotty Hill in Sedgefield

I couldn't help but notice the incredible amount of flex in the shaft of the club you re swinging. You might be under shafted a bit. I feel that with your swing, you should be hitting it farther than you do. Awkward is right, you definitely cut across the ball. FK will help iy out with that

As everyone else has commented, you are coming across the ball outside-to-in at impact -- so you have to find a way to correct that. My suggestion would be concentrating on making an inside move during your takeaway. Place a clubhead cover (or something similar) under your right armpit, then take your swing while ensuring you keep the clubhead cover under your arm....at least until after you make impact and/or follow thru. I would also recommend trying to start your backswing at a slower tempo too.

You have a fluid swing and when I stopped the behind-view video near the top of your swing, the bottom of your grip was in-line with the ball meaning you are staying on plane pretty well. I think if you try drills that force you to keep your right arm/elbow closer to your body during your takeaway you will see the end of your fade and most likely will have a draw/hook develop.

Good luck!

I'd start with your grip, it's the foundation of a solid swing. Do you know if you have a strong, neutral or weak grip? For as young as your are, still having very good flexibility, I'd lean you towards a strong(er) grip, but usually neutral is the most consistent for most golfers. I see a few things in your swing, and I'll let FK go into more details as I'm sure he will see them, too. You've got a strong cast flip on your down swing, and that's something that a LOT of golfers fight. The combination of your inside take-a-way, set at the top and coming down over the top WITH your cast flip, leads to a weaker swing and left to right slicing motion.

See in the red circle? Two things jump out at me. 1st: Your club face, should be on or very close to the same line as your left arm angle. I'd like to see you make sure your left wrist is flat and down the same line as your arm (like a ruler was taped to the back of your hand and down your forearm), that, along with a more neutral grip should fix your club face. 2nd: I've drawn a line down your target line, your club at the top of the swing, should be pointing down and be on the same parallel line, and it's not. That's a hard one to feel at the top of your swing, there is a really great training aid you can buy (that's affordable) to help with this called the Swingyde.

I'll let Freedie take care of the rest for ya! Good luck!

Ur biggest fault is ur front foot...u keep it open like a baseball player trying to pull a ball. Close that front foot up and set up un a reverse K. This will promote an in to out swing path and should straighten u out. That foot being so open is having the club swing across the ball and causing that slice/fade. Even try dropping ur back foot back a couple inches from ur front.

I looked at your swing the other day and there is some about it that didn't sit well with me. Not Ina bad way but I couldn't out my finger on the issue. After watching again there are a few things you might want to address.

you spacing between your feet. Your stance is very wide. This will impede your ability to transfer the weight properly from right to left through impact. Try to get your feet shoulder width apart.

The biggest thing is your delivery into the ball. It's not an over the top move. It's a down the line delivery. It's not from the inside or outside, it's down the line. You get hear by throwing your hands out away from you, a bit of a cast, on the down swing. This combined with a wide stance is making you short arm impact and pull with the left arm just prior to impact.

With a narrow stance this will be hook city. So instead of throwing the hands out away from you. I'd like to see you pull the hands down to you right hip. The club will follow and the angle will be held. From here I want you extend the arm down the line after impact. Feel like you hitting a back handed shot with a tennis racket through impact. Form wrist but turn the left forearm.

Worth of syance

pull club down to right hip

its not a lot but it's important. Work on that and report back in a few weeks.

edit: keep the left foot open, it will help with your release.

http://youtu.be/hZ4vDFvvBBg

http://youtu.be/NX3XgBQFrbg

Here are a few more videos from my round today. I included a front facing view.

I've been working on trying to keep my right elbow as close to my body as possible on the backswing. I also have been working on my temp and trying to keep the club on plane.

I am still hitting a fade, although I still seem to be loosing a lot of distance.

A few things I notice in my swing are that I am still releasing far to early. Also my right elbow is still bent on impact. Should this be straight? Any drills? Also should my wrists be turning over more as I go through the ball? I.e right wrist over he left wrist after impact.

Any more drills or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Your early release can be fixed by pulling the butt of the club down toward the ball. You slice seems to an alignment issue. You are aimed so far left that you have no choice but to slice. Set up done the middle and pull the butt of the club down toward the ball.

Back