Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

So what's the US chance at actually winning this game? 70/30? 60/40? I know in the friendly game they played this year they were schooled by this team. Were different guys playing? I'm rooting for 'em but I also have my expectations gated a bit because I think this Belgium team is really good.

This statistical analysis says Belgium 59%, USA 41%. http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

In the friendly last year, Michael Bradley didn't play for the USA, but Eden Hazard (probably Belgium's most talented offensive player) didn't play for Belgium. The defense for the USA was a hot mess in that game, I think that the team overall is playing better now. But Belgium has the better individual players, it's just whether they can really come together as a team on the biggest stage. They are probably closer in terms of their playing style to Germany as opposed to Portugal or Ghana, which is what really concerns me. If they dominate the ball in midfield, the USA is going to have a long and unhappy day.

I say it's a 50/50 chance IMO. The friendly I don't put too much emphasis on bc if I remember correctly some guys that played won't start. The Belgium guy that did the scoring isn't even on this team, They are missing fullbacks. Doesn't mean they are not a capable side, but the US had to start strong. Our slow starts and allowing early goals have been our Achilles heel. If we can play strong & fast early on I think it's a good chance we can get away with a win.[/QUOTE]

I was about to post exactly that....that is the key to the game

The knockout rounds have been pretty crazy so far, so anything is possible. IF the US does manage to get through, we could go even deeper as the rest of this side of the bracket is weaker than the other. We avoid Brazil, Germany, and France until the Finals. I know I probably shouldn't look ahead, but Klinsmann is right ... we need to win NOW!

At the half, Argentina and Switzerland tied at 0.

Anyone know of another way to watch the game online?

Watch ESPN is not letting me watch it. I have DirecTv and that is not an option to select to watch.

Anyone know of another way to watch the game online?

Watch ESPN is not letting me watch it. I have DirecTv and that is not an option to select to watch.

did you try the ESPN3 stream at Watch Espn?

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers.

Argentina is shaky in the back, they could easily be down by 2 or 3

I need the Swiss to win this game.
Hopp Schwiiz!

did you try the ESPN3 stream at Watch Espn?

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers.

Yea, its telling me I have to upgrade to XFinity. :banghead:

I just watched the freaking thing last week!

Great Game by the swiss hopefully they can pull it out

If I am Argentina there is no way i want this to go to a Shoot Out...

OOPS>>>>Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll

that is a clutch goal

DAGGONIT!!!!!!!!!

How did the Swiss not score on that corner?

wow...just wow

soccer gods don't want the swiss to win

Free kick the drama

LoneSafeBactrian.gif

InfantileSlimAnnelida.gif

Bloody Argentina!!!!!

Group winners are 7 for 7...time for that streak to end.

Klinsmann says Altidore will not start today.

Back