Advice appreciated on driver dilemma incl. X2 Hot

Sowega

Reaction score
Handicap
I would appreciate some advice, or confirming my current plan, regarding my drivers. The past 5 or so years I've gamed a TM Burner 10.5 with the stock R flex shaft. Given my irregular play during this time (4-8 rds per year) it served its purposes.

The past year I've been able to play more, and got some new irons last summer. At that time I got a stiff shafts per recommendation of Golfsmith tec after viewing my swingspeed (95 on 6i). Last month, I also put a better shaft in the Burner. With the R flex I just wasn't very consistent and had power to all fields, as they say. Got a Fujikura. Tested swingspeed of 105 avg. so its actually an X-stiff, and he cut the shaft down to around 45''. I haven't played a full round but so far during practice it seems like the new shaft plus shorter length will give me more accuracy (and maybe a few extra yards but nothing drastic). I'd average 240-260 yds before, and I think that would be about the same with the new shaft.

Unexpectedly, a friend has gifted me a brand new X2 Hot from Amazon, but its a Reg. flex. I've read the threads here on the club, and it seems like a nice enough driver. But I'm hesitant to go back to a Regular flex. And I have enjoyed the shorter driver shaft in the limited uses I've had with updated Burner.

Here are some options as I see it:
1) Return the gift X2 Hot to Amazon and swap it for same club, just in stiff flex. The gift club is still wrapped and mint condition and I have 30 days to exhange/return. assuming i can do this.
2) Play my current Burner with new shaft for a full round this weekend, then hit the X2 Hot somewhere like Golfsmith and try to get a sense for how they compare. I am playing this weekend. Re-assess after this round and game whichever club I like best.
3) Return the gift X2 Hot to Amazon for some sort of credit that I can spend on other (golf) stuff. :D, assuming Amazon lets you do that for gifts. I'd rather not do this because if I play with my friend he'll probably notice I'm not using the club. :dont-know:

I suppose I am leaning towards Option 2. I don't want to game the new X2 Hot in case i need to exchange it for a S flex. But I'd appreciate your advice, particularly around those with knowledge of the X2 Hot....e.g. how much of an upgrade it would be over my current Burner? Is the stock stiff shaft pretty decent? Have you had success trimming the shaft shorter than standard 46"? Thanks in advance guys.....

I'd definitley head to a store and hit the X2 in a couple flexes. That's a pretty high SS for a Reg flex in that shaft. It's already pretty soft imo. Worst case, you return it outright and get some other goodies.

can you call cally c.s. and explain the situation, maybe they will swap shaft stiffness?
they have two aldilla options. the lightened tour blue and the standard tour green

can you call cally c.s. and explain the situation, maybe they will swap shaft stiffness?
they have two aldilla options. the lightened tour blue and the standard tour green

I think given its still unwrapped and has all the tools/head cover, I can swap it with Amazon. This assumes once I test drive the X2 Hot, the Stiff works for me and I like the overall feel.

sorry i probably didnt explain myself and was too brief. hit the x2h and the x2h pro. the standard x2h comes with a slightliy lighter (~5grams lighter) then standard tour blue that you get from aldila (its lighter to match up to the ti head from what i read, there is a thread somewhere here about the aldila shaft options to explain it better), the pro comes with the standard weight green aldila shaft. if you like that shaft better then maybe call cally and see if you can get the tour green shaft? amazon x2h will come with the lighter tour blue when you trade in for a stiffer shaft

edit
here is the thread

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?57030-Callaway-and-Aldila-Tour-Blue-shafts

One more option! Pull the shaft from the Burner and put it in the new driver.

sorry i probably didnt explain myself and was too brief. hit the x2h and the x2h pro. the standard x2h comes with a slightliy lighter (~5grams lighter) then standard tour blue that you get from aldila (its lighter to match up to the ti head from what i read, there is a thread somewhere here about the aldila shaft options to explain it better), the pro comes with the standard weight green aldila shaft. if you like that shaft better then maybe call cally and see if you can get the tour green shaft? amazon x2h will come with the lighter tour blue when you trade in for a stiffer shaft

edit
here is the thread

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?57030-Callaway-and-Aldila-Tour-Blue-shafts

Very good feedback. Today I hit both the x2h stiff with blue shaft and the pro with the green shaft. No question I was hitting the pro better. Whether its the smaller head or shaft, don't know. However, I also hit my current gamer and it was really better than the x2pro. The x2 pro had a more penetrating, lower ball flight and a bit higher Swing speed and ball speed. But my current gamer had higher flight with a tighter dispersion. I suppose the x2hot pro has the advantage of being customizable so I could tinker with loft and bias.

What would be benefits of getting the green shaft in the normal x2hot head vs just ordering the pro since it has the green shaft already? I think the answer is the pro head is less forgiving...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

benefits of green shaft in the x2hot standard head. that i am not experienced enough to answer. i assume a forgiving head with more penetration flight. when i read your original post i took it as a shaft dilemma and the different shaft options in the x2h line came to mind since you were gifted a x2h. fwiw i think its neat that the x2h bertha and optiforce use the same adapter. talk about shaft testing options galore :):act-up:.

Back