Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

How long was your previous driver?

So quick recap of the Alpha performing down in Ocean City.

- 4 drives of 300+ yards
- longest drive was 318 (wind aided)
- drove the green on 3 par 4s (ranging from 279-295)

Man, I love this driver.

How long was your previous driver?

Probably 270 average or so (amp cell) . However the spin killed my average. I could touch 290 with it but that was with a perfect swing and no wind. Any wind, especially a head wind, spelled trouble for me. The Alpha allows me to get more distance because of the lower spin. It's so nice not having drives balloon on me.

Thanks so much. Your numbers are where I am. Used to be able to smack 4 - 5 300+yrd drives a round, now I can only get 270 - 280 off the tee with my RBZ.

Probably 270 average or so (amp cell) . However the spin killed my average. I could touch 290 with it but that was with a perfect swing and no wind. Any wind, especially a head wind, spelled trouble for me. The Alpha allows me to get more distance because of the lower spin. It's so nice not having drives balloon on me.

Thanks so much. Your numbers are where I am. Used to be able to smack 4 - 5 300+yrd drives a round, now I can only get 270 - 280 off the tee with my RBZ.

I wouldn't definitely hit your RBZ side by side with the Alpha to see what the difference is for you.

With the Alpha, I am seeing areas on my home course that I never had with my RBZ or Amp Cell. Just goes to show the importance of finding a driver that fits you.

I got the chance to see a few THPers hit either their Big Bertha and/or Alpha driver this weekend and wowwwwwwww can they all hit them deep and straight. These drivers are certainly something to consider if you're in the market!

For me it's all about finding a driver that can "miss" to a fairway. I've found that the Alpha shares a lot of the same contact characteristics of the Razr Fit and Fit Extreme, however the sound produced by balls striking the sweet spot are vastly improved. It's an intoxicating and relatively violent noise that I am able to generate, and all I want to do is repeat the sound.

I'm returning to golf, only played for a year before with the RBZ driver and I hit it pretty well to be honest but changed to BBA a couple of months back, I'm hitting it an absolute mile! Saying that, I've been working really hard on a number of things and I'm hitting everything pretty long at the moment!!

Played on Saturday and just couldn't get my irons working at all, I'm having this habit of leaving my wrists cocked and just firing the ball straight right, anyway the tee shot's are where I did well. Hit 13 fairways with the driver (15 efforts) and most out and about the 280-300 mark.

On my home course I've now driven the 2nd, 8th, 12th and 17th par 4 greens.

I love getting on the tee with this driver but hate pretty much everything else about golf right now!!

For me it's all about finding a driver that can "miss" to a fairway. I've found that the Alpha shares a lot of the same contact characteristics of the Razr Fit and Fit Extreme, however the sound produced by balls striking the sweet spot are vastly improved. It's an intoxicating and relatively violent noise that I am able to generate, and all I want to do is repeat the sound.

Agreed with the sound on the screws, it's addicting. You have the core down, have you noticed any difference in the sound compared to core up? I have but maybe I am tone deaf.

Agreed with the sound on the screws, it's addicting. You have the core down, have you noticed any difference in the sound compared to core up? I have but maybe I am tone deaf.

My longest drives with the Alpha actually have a more muted sound at impact. It's like there are three different sounds: off-center impact, center of club face impact, and that sweetest of sweet spot impact.

Center club face impact sounds awesome. The 330+ drives that I've hit really sound muted, though (both with GC up and down). Anyone else experience this?

My longest drives with the Alpha actually have a more muted sound at impact. It's like there are three different sounds: off-center impact, center of club face impact, and that sweetest of sweet spot impact.

Center club face impact sounds awesome. The 330+ drives that I've hit really sound muted, though (both with GC up and down). Anyone else experience this?

Yup. For me when I hit it on the screws it is like an air cannon going off - muted, yet powerful. When it's a louder 'thwack' I know I missed it a bit.

This has been my experience too. It was a little odd at first because it is such a different sound than I was used to.

Definitely a muted sound when you really crank one out there. Just this weekend when I accidentally ice jacked a group it was certainly that sound and the two others in my group immediately knew it was good. So good Joe went back to the cart to get his Alpha. A mis-hit is characterized by a tad louder sound for me, which is great initial feedback.

A lot of great shots out of the Alpha for me this weekend, I think I've found what I've been wanting out of it, especially for a club into the wind. Probably my best 2 drives of the entire weekend were into the wind on the same hole Friday and Saturday. It's just so nice to not see a balloon ball into the wind, yet see a nice penetrating flight that still gets out a healthy distance.

I played a round with MillerTime a few weeks ago and absolutely crushed one with the Alpha. He actually asked if I caught it right after I hit it, because of the sound.

I'm going to be totally honest, I've never turned the core up. With my swing data, I don't think it makes any sense to even try.

I'm going to be totally honest, I've never turned the core up. With my swing data, I don't think it makes any sense to even try.

I totally understand, was just curious. Get that spin down brother! Didn't even notice you were gaming this til now, glad you found one.

Your description of the sound is fitting. I love this driver for so many reasons. The improved sound is one of them. Also, the fact that I can tinker with things I have no reason to tinker with gives me something to do when I'm bored.

I wish I could say that this driver has added distance, but my swing has gotten better and as a result everything is better. I've got the right shaft combo with this and LOVE it. The Oban White was perfect for me. The only other driver I've hit this year to rival this is the Bio Cell +.

I totally understand, was just curious. Get that spin down brother! Didn't even notice you were gaming this til now, glad you found one.

Spin really hasn't been a big issue for me lately. Granted I'm not getting a ton of roll, someone told me earlier this year to embrace my numbers regardless of the spin if it means anything in the realm of 260-270 in the air and accurate. I GPS the long ones, which usually include rollout, and they are over 300. I'm going to start putting numbers on all my drives, but i bet I am right in the 60-70 range of carry, typically in the short grass.

Spin really hasn't been a big issue for me lately. Granted I'm not getting a ton of roll, someone told me earlier this year to embrace my numbers regardless of the spin if it means anything in the realm of 260-270 in the air and accurate. I GPS the long ones, which usually include rollout, and they are over 300. I'm going to start putting numbers on all my drives, but i bet I am right in the 60-70 range of carry, typically in the short grass.

You can't go wrong with that either. My roll out has really been dependent on the core setting for me. I was hitting these towering bombs that weren't rolling too far. I flipped the weight down and have a much more boring shot that rolls a bit more.

Also, high handicappers shouldn't be afraid of the alpha, I'm normally hitting around 100 per round but my driver stands up well to friends who play in low teens and single digits

I picked up the Alpha 9 deg. head from JFLores and it is a "tour" model, I have been looking all though this thread (and all over the internet) to try and find if there is actually any difference between the Standard and the "tour" model.

I really don't care that it is a tour model I just always wanted a pair of Bertha's (ha) When I got my BB I was fitted with the Alpha Shaft so it will be fun to see how they compare on the course.

Does anyone have info on this? Thanks

Shoot the Callaway guys a note on twitter. I'm sure they can get you the right info

One of my friends from another forum said he read something online that indicated the Alpha is being closed out already and a replacement will be announced shortly?

One of my friends from another forum said he read something online that indicated the Alpha is being closed out already and a replacement will be announced shortly?

Interesting. I wonder what the replacement would be.

Either way, I really, really like the Alpha. Very good combination of distance and forgiveness for me. Looks great too.

Interesting. I wonder what the replacement would be.

Either way, I really, really like the Alpha. Very good combination of distance and forgiveness for me. Looks great too.

Agreed Seth. This club can fit such a wide variety of not only swings, but where golfers hit the ball on the face. Sure it is less forgiving in places, but it is long, accurate, and looks tremendous. That sound on the sweet spot is so addicting too.

Back