That is usually what we try to do but the issue comes when singles want to play a packed course and expect to finish in less than 3 hours. They come in and complain that no one will let them play through or that play is too slow when in fact the course is moving at a 4 hour playing pace. We maintain that pace for the mist part without a problem which is more than many courses can say.

The Rudeness

That is usually what we try to do but the issue comes when singles want to play a packed course and expect to finish in less than 3 hours. They come in and complain that no one will let them play through or that play is too slow when in fact the course is moving at a 4 hour playing pace. We maintain that pace for the mist part without a problem which is more than many courses can say.

This problem is entirely different than what you eluded to in your first post saying singles cost you money , which simply is not true no matter how crowded your tee sheet is.

But managing their expectations should be the responsibility of the course staff. If they continue to be unreasonable after explaining they are expected to follow same pace of play that the course expects no faster, no slower than it's on them.

Last edited:

Its your responsibility to let that single know BEFORE they tee off that as long as the groups ahead are keeping proper pace that they should not expect to play through. The real problem is that everyone these days think their time is more important than everyone else.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

I am going to leave it at this. The way that I have handled things since taking things over last year has boosted revenues and memberships along with the quality of playing conditions( I also serve as the superintendent) Our profits are the highest that they have been in the last decade and we went from having around 100 members to over 700 in less than a year with us still adding new members every week. I can see where it would benefit a course that is fighting for play to work around the issue of singles during peak hours but when things there packed they are more of an issue than a benefit. Especially when they feel entitled to have things their way!

The Rudeness

I don't really try playing as a single during peak time. But if I wanted to I just head over and try to find a game.

All the rest of this crap is why golf suffers, IMO. A single comes to the course to find a game for the afternoon the course should gladly fit them in. It's a game that is meant too be played socially and sometimes with people you don't know.

I have no time for courses that don't share this mindset.

I don't really try playing as a single during peak time. But if I wanted to I just head over and try to find a game.

All the rest of this crap is why golf suffers, IMO. A single comes to the course to find a game for the afternoon the course should gladly fit them in. It's a game that is meant too be played socially and sometimes with people you don't know.

I have no time for courses that don't share this mindset.
This I have no problem with at all and do the same thing quite often. I know just about every Pro in our area so when I get to their course I usually have them pair me up with one of their groups that needs an extra player. I have met quite a few good friends that way and many if them ask me to join them again at another course or on another date.

This problem is entirely different than what you eluded to in your first post saying singles cost you money , which simply is not true no matter how crowded your tee sheet is.

But managing their expectations should be the responsibility of the course staff. If they continue to be unreasonable after explaining they are expected to follow same pace of play that the course expects no faster, no slower than it's on them.
At a $28 fee per player and a seat that is not filled there is a $28 dollar lose on that cart and another $56 in the other cart that should went out with them. Put that with lost food and ProShop revenues and there is over $100 in lost revenue from that single. I have no problem with singles when the tee sheet isn't packed but when it is packed there is a loss in revenue.

Well Im a walker so they arent losing when I play. And normally I dont call for a time when I know I will be paired up.

Ill drive up and check the parking lot if its packed....Ill get my gear out and head to the practice green for however long if Im still interested in playing if its pretty busy.

Honestly I prefer playing alone. Gives me my thinking time to myself with little to no distractions. But I dont mind playing with others at all if I have too.

Just don't book a tee time as a single. That's rude. Call to see if there is a three or twosome you can be matched up with. Be a single, nobody has an issue with that. But don't show up and expect special treatment.

Personally I dont expect any treatment other than treated with respect cause I am a customer.

My main beef with the marshalls and pro shop attendants being a**holes on the phone and at the shop when I show up without making a tee time trying to see if I could get in a round... thats all

Why is it that some courses and Marshalls feel the need to be rude when you show up with no tee time..

A local Munic course that I play more than others are good for this..

They say only make a tee time for 3 or more players.

But when I show up Solo or with a friend they get unreal about it cause of tee time.....

Rant over
Painted doesn't take tee times over the phone for singles, but do for twosomes, threesomes and foursomes. One way around it is to book online at the course website or on GolfNow. You should be able to get tee times for singles. You'll probably get paired up, but you should be able to get one.

We don't take them over the phone, but welcome singles as long as they know they will have to wait until there is an opening, and if it is a threesome, they will be sharing a cart with a stranger.

Usually only an issue on weekends, and maybe Fridays or Mondays.

I wasnt going as a single tho.. me and a buddy was.meeting up.

Was told differenr time that you had to have 3 or more to make a tee time...we were only 2 so we didnt make one. But they felt it was their obligation to talk to me like I was a child when I said I was told by members of their staff that we didnt have too if it were only 2 of us. We expected to group up with another 2some or 3some.

When Im going to be a single I usually call ahead of time and ask about getting out / paired with another group, if they say its booked solid Ill go somewhere else.....There is no excuse for anyone to be rude

At a $28 fee per player and a seat that is not filled there is a $28 dollar lose on that cart and another $56 in the other cart that should went out with them. Put that with lost food and ProShop revenues and there is over $100 in lost revenue from that single. I have no problem with singles when the tee sheet isn't packed but when it is packed there is a loss in revenue.
$28>$0. I don't care how full you think you are I'm sure you don't have golf carts lined up at the first tee box from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I agree 100% that the golf course loyalty is worth more than a random foursome of hackers that just like to get drunk and drive the cart.

I play as a single 98% of the time and I find this also very annoying. Most courses around me won't take a tee time for a single so I can't make one. Leaving me scrambling for someplace to pay. I also hate when groups refuse to let you though. I took my cousin out yesterday and got stuck behind a group that was terrible (also playing from the blacks) and spend 5-10 mins a hole looking for balls. After 5-6 holes behind them we just skipped a par 3 to get in front of them. And not one Marshall said a thing. As for not letting a single play through because "there's nowhere to go" is also annoying. One the scorecards it states let faster players play through even if he has to get in front of 5 groups he will be smooth sailing once he's through them.

100% disagree. It takes time to let people through, which slows down all those groups as you are going on your merry way. Sorry. If you aren't going anywhere, sit tight. You chose to come on as a single. How often do singles try to get through twosomes or threesomes instead of joining them when it's packed. It's the "let me through because I am a single" attitude you have that sucks for everyone else.

100% disagree. It takes time to get through. Sorry. If you aren't going anywhere, sit tight. You chose to come on as a single. How often do singles try to get through twosomes or threesomes instead of joining them when it's packed. It's the "let me through because I am a single" attitude you have that sucks for everyone else.

No it's the let me dictate the pace of your round while I look for my ball for 10 minutes that ruins it for everyone else. And no I also don't want to play with that person as I'm then obligated to help him look for that ball he sliced 2 fairways over.

No it's the let me dictate the pace of your round while I look for my ball for 10 minutes that ruins it for everyone else. And no I also don't want to play with that person as I'm then obligated to help him look for that ball he sliced 2 fairways over.

Then don't come as a single on a busy day or time if you don't want to get paired up. Twilight play might be better suited since it's less busy.

$28>$0. I don't care how full you think you are I'm sure you don't have golf carts lined up at the first tee box from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I agree 100% that the golf course loyalty is worth more than a random foursome of hackers that just like to get drunk and drive the cart.
We are usually packed from 730 when we open until about 100 and then we get an afternoon crowd from about 330 until 630 when we stop carts from going out.

Then don't come as a single on a busy day or time if you don't want to get paired up. Twilight play might be better suited since it's less busy.
I never play during peak hours, that doesn't mean I don't get stuck behind a group that plays from the blacks but doesn't carry it but 200 yards and then wonders why it takes so long to play a round.

I never play during peak hours, that doesn't mean I don't get stuck behind a group that plays from the blacks but doesn't carry it but 200 yards and then wonders why it takes so long to play a round.
That is an issue that I have had to deal with too. Players trying to play from the tips when they can not reach a single par 4 in two from there. Most of them reply " That's where the Pros play from!" or something along those lines. I have to tell most of them that they are not pros or scratch players so they are trying to play outside of their ability. They would have much more fun and score better from the next set of tees up or even the set in front of that. Most of them comply and thank me for the advice when they have finished their rounds and shot a much better score than what the usually do from the tips.

That is an issue that I have had to deal with too. Players trying to play from the tips when they can not reach a single par 4 in two from there. Most of them reply " That's where the Pros play from!" or something along those lines. I have to tell most of them that they are not pros or scratch players so they are trying to play outside of their ability. They would have much more fun and score better from the next set of tees up or even the set in front of that. Most of them comply and thank me for the advice when they have finished their rounds and shot a much better score than what the usually do from the tips.
Lol, oh ya my favorite is "I paid to play the whole course." I really don't care where someone plays from as long they keep a good pace. But spending 5 mins looking for your ball, hitting, then driving to your partners ball then spending another 5 minutes looking for his. That's what I had to watch for 5 holes Friday because I finally skipped a hole to pass them. And yes I was out before peak hours (7:15).

The Rudeness

On an unfamiliar course I will ask the starter what he recommends based in handicap when it's not noted on the cards. Distance wise I can handle 6600 comfortably and maybe up to 6800-6900 on a really good day and still play to my handicap. But when playing a place for the first time I may move up anyway and if it goes well I can note it and move back next time.

Got off I a tangent there but the point is that the starters are there for a reason and have probably played the course 100 times. It's worth listening to their advice. Many respect the fact that I ask and are a pleasure from there on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

You're missing the point. If you have a foursome already, you're full. No issue. If you DON'T have a foursome, a single can always be used to fill. You never have to send a single INSTEAD of others. So all your math is just fiction. And I promise you, I've done this for many courses, get the right math and you'll see you have money to gain and nothing to lose.

You're missing the point. If you have a foursome already, you're full. No issue. If you DON'T have a foursome, a single can always be used to fill. You never have to send a single INSTEAD of others. So all your math is just fiction. And I promise you, I've done this for many courses, get the right math and you'll see you have money to gain and nothing to lose.

You are absolutely right.

A couple of things though. The single should be used to FILL an open tee time, or at least on open spot on a tee time of a twosome or a threesome, not to book a tee time as a single. That precludes a foursome from booking in that time slot, and if that entire time period is full (in say, the one hour window the foursome wants to tee off) then they will go somewhere else. Singles during busy times should only be used as fill spots, never as a tee time by themselves. A single should be able to get out pretty quickly, as there are always those groups who book as a foursome, but their fourth just isn't going to make it. That happens all the time. The single can always fill that spot.

Although, as I said earlier, they can always book as a single on GolfNow or the course website. But to expect to go out as a single because you don't want to be paired up with someone who MIGHT slow you down is ludicrous. In that case, find a time when no one else is out there and enjoy yourself.

If someone wants to go out as a single when there are open spots, I have no issue with them wanting to do so. Then, it's definitely better than sending out no one. But they should be walking on, not making a tee time.

You are absolutely right.

A couple of things though. The single should be used to FILL an open tee time, or at least on open spot on a tee time of a twosome or a threesome, not to book a tee time as a single. That precludes a foursome from booking in that time slot, and if that entire time period is full (in say, the one hour window the foursome wants to tee off) then they will go somewhere else. Singles during busy times should only be used as fill spots, never as a tee time by themselves. A single should be able to get out pretty quickly, as there are always those groups who book as a foursome, but their fourth just isn't going to make it. That happens all the time. The single can always fill that spot.

Although, as I said earlier, they can always book as a single on GolfNow or the course website. But to expect to go out as a single because you don't want to be paired up with someone who MIGHT slow you down is ludicrous. In that case, find a time when no one else is out there and enjoy yourself.

If someone wants to go out as a single when there are open spots, I have no issue with them wanting to do so. Then, it's definitely better than sending out no one. But they should be walking on, not making a tee time.

So you bring up a point. If a golf course was saying, "Oh, a single wants to book all four slots as a single, we will turn down a foursome". That's the only situation. When you turn wary a foursome become of a single.

Practically, I've never seen that happen. If a single insists on playing as 1 person, I've never seen a club allow that unless they paid for all four slots. And I didn't assume that was what AK was suggesting, and I could have missed that.

The point I was making, with research to prove it, is that singles don't cause a loss of money and don't negatively impact pace of play. And if they don't do those two things (assuming good start time management), they are an asset not a liability.

Back