Increasing swing speed

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
I feel like I lack power in my swing. I don't want to demolish the ball, but I feel like I could gain some extra yards especially since my 3W is rivaling my driver in terms of distance. Irons are perfect right now in terms of distance.
I have read that a headless shaft is good for speed training, but when I swing it, I don't have that resistance and I get funky feedback.

Right now my driver speed is 90-105MPH which is a pretty big variance in speed. I would like to sit around 110MPH with a tighter speed gap.

Would love a bit more all through.

Read an article the other week that was discussing the situation of 3w matching driver for distance and it was discussing it's more often the driver characteristics than the swing speed, can't remember all the details but will try find it.

My instructor is having me get more of my body involved in the swing for those two reasons:

1. More swing speed.

2. Consistent swing speed.

So far it has been working. I have also been working out my core muscles. Across the board I have probably added 15-20 yards to each club over the last 4-6 weeks.

If your irons are fine and your 3w and driver are equal, it sounds like your driver swing needs work. If you SS does vary as much as you say getting 110 will take a good bit of work. Swing, weights And flexibility.

Swinging the butt of the club add a but but not much. Making sure your chest moved through the shot will add as well. But reassured that proper technique will help with distance. A properly fit club will aid as well.

But to your question, I would work on your flexibility and use the large muscles to increase club head speed. I'd also look at your positions through out the swing and make sure you don't have power leak.

This may seem trivial and one of the "duh" comments but I'll do it anyway. A few summers ago I started training for a 5k. I had never been a runner in my life (I'm 34 now). I ran all winter long when we can't play golf here in cold Kansas. Anyway my first round back on the course I added an EASY 15 to 20 yards on each club across the board and I did nothing to change my swing in the off season. The difference was strength in my back, legs and core that simply wasn't there before. I know a lot of people cannot commit to something like that but I only ran 3 days a week and did between 2 and 4 miles each time. It's not difficult to do but does take some determination. Just a thought.

If I were you, I'd find out why my swing speed can differ so much between swings. Increasing your swing speed won't help you much if you continue to have such huge variance.

And finally...swing speed is tremendously overrated. Yeah, it sets the bar for many things but with proper attack angle, launch and spin you can knock it around 280 yards with a 105 SS.

I'll tell you a secret but you have to promise not to tell anyone :quiet:
The harder you try and swing and the more you fret over it, the slower you'll swing. It sounds counter intuitive but trust me it's 100% right. I swing a driver at upwards of 115mph and that's swinging easy. If I try go after it then it drops by as much as 15mph. What I'm saying is proper technique and training the right muscles is the way to go. Simply trying to swing harder will lead to massive inconsistencies.

Number one thing that has helped me with speed and consistency is learning to swing easy with my big muscles and to quit focusing on the ball and learn to focus on throwing my club head at the target instead of at the ball. Works wonders.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I haven't read through it yet, but a golf magazine was delivered yesterday and there was a whole section on the driver with information on what causes the various problems and drills you can work on to cure them

As I was quickly skimming through last night, one of the drills for increasing swing speed was to swing the driver (or whichever wood) with the headcover on as this will add resistance and help to work the muscles involved

If I remember, I will read in a bit more detail and post up any further things that are suggested in there and people can decide for themselves if it is worthwhile

Swinging it with the headcover on is a fine idea until it comes flying off, lol. And yes that does happen, it happened with my Cobra Amp Cell fairway wood, lol.

I'll tell you a secret but you have to promise not to tell anyone :quiet:
The harder you try and swing and the more you fret over it, the slower you'll swing. It sounds counter intuitive but trust me it's 100% right. I swing a driver at upwards of 115mph and that's swinging easy. If I try go after it then it drops by as much as 15mph. What I'm saying is proper technique and training the right muscles is the way to go. Simply trying to swing harder will lead to massive inconsistencies.

Agree with this totaly. the last fitter I went to over a year ago said he makes everyone (including me) try to hit the driver far as they can on the very last swing and everyone has the same result. They actually lose SS. Reason being we tense up. Its all about how to wind up further without tensing up and still managing to stay loose but its not easy to do. Then even if one is capable of doing it they now have to maintain control of the club too which is something we all struggle with to diffeerent degrees anyway. So even if one is able to pick up swing speed they still have to keep it at a place that they can still maintain control.

I'll bet to the OP that you just may be hitting your 3w on the sweatspot more than your driver. That could be for many reasons. It could be the longer driver shaft harder to control or could be you are trying to kill the ball with the driver and (just as stated) actually slowing down the club and also causing less sweatspot contact. And may also be why your big spread in ss. The old saying in golf my last instructor uses all the time. "in golf, less is more" and i beleive that totaly.

My normal swing speed is 112. If I amp it up, I can get it to 128. What I do to produce the extra 15 or so is widen my stance just a bit and make sure I transfer my weight a little more than normal towards my back foot. I also turn my shoulders away from the target just a bit in the back swing. In a way, you could see me coil up, cocking back the hammer on a gun. Then when I swing, I throw my weight forward through the ball so that my hips go through and turn so I don't block it and send it right. I think the wider stance allows for the better shift in the weight which give me the extra speed. I mean, I do swing harder with my arms for sure but that weight transfer I think adds a little extra. I also tend to hit high long draws in this manner too. Sometimes too much draw so I don't do it all the time unless I am looking at a wide open Par 5 that I want to try and reach in 2.

I kinda want to open this open again, as it's seemed that I've lost 10-12 mph with my driver resulting in a solid 40 yard loss in distance. I know it's hard without seeing the swing but are there any good drills/excerises people have used to gain distance?

If your irons are fine and your 3w and driver are equal, it sounds like your driver swing needs work. If you SS does vary as much as you say getting 110 will take a good bit of work. Swing, weights And flexibility.

Swinging the butt of the club add a but but not much. Making sure your chest moved through the shot will add as well. But reassured that proper technique will help with distance. A properly fit club will aid as well.

But to your question, I would work on your flexibility and use the large muscles to increase club head speed. I'd also look at your positions through out the swing and make sure you don't have power leak.

What are some things that can cause a power leak?

Back