Whats your favorite driver of all time?

I can remember every single non-wooden driver I've had in my 21ish years playing golf.

My first metal driver was the King Cobra Ti offset driver. I have fond memories of this club in high school. Hit my first 300 yard drive with it. Also snapped the head off once trying to be Happy Gilmore.

Next was a Purespin driver. This thing had a diamond/titanium face and a non-tapered kevlar shaft that was like swinging a broom stick with a driver head on the end. I hit some absolute bombs with this baby measuring 335 to 350. But that was scorecard measuring and probably not totally accurate. They are still the longest drives I've hit on my old home course, though I rarely play there now and haven't with either of my last few drivers.

Then I got a used Titleist 970something off of ebay that I hardly ever used during a time when I rarely played golf. I don't remember hitting it well at all.

Next was a used Cleveland HiBore XL with the scoped crown when I finally had a decent job and a little time to play. I liked it but was never in love with the shaft. This was the last stiff flex driver shaft I had.

Then after getting married and a much better job and moving accross the street from a golf course and discovering the PGA Tour Superstore, I tried every driver available and got a Callaway Diablo Edge Tour driver. I also then found out that in-store launch monitors are often deceiving and that I maybe needed some lessons. I was never very consistent with it.

Then I got a Ping G20 that worked well for me in the consistency department. It was also the highest lofted driver I've ever used. It launched moon balls with higher spin and not much roll out, but it was the best since the Purespin.

Next was a short lived experiment with a Cleveland Classic 310. The right swing and contact would really go but I sprayed it around quite a bit. My retooled driver swing now would work with it a lot better but, alas, that wasn't the case while I had it.

Then for my most recent ex-driver, I came back around to the Cobra Amp Cell Pro. This was my first adjustable driver. It was pretty consistent for me and longer than the G20 but the spin was still a little bit up there for me.

Now I have the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha and I am certain that it is by far the best driver I've owned. Best launch with the lowest loft I've ever played (8°), best spin, best distance and probably tied with best consistency. I've hit multiple legit gps measured 325, 335, and 340+ drives and am consistently beyond where I used to be on most holes where I usually play now.

My top three would be 1) Alpha 2) Purespin 3) tie with the Cobras

No one probably has this driver on their list.... it was actually the first club I bought with my own money. Seems like a lifetime ago, although it's only been one(!) decade....

TM R580XD

It was a real game changer for me at that time when I was using Dad's old used clubs.
Face caved in, and got it replaced with a R7 from TM, but never had the same affection for it.

I had a TM R540XD that was the FIRST driver that I bought brand new with a X-stiff shaft. I could literally fall out of bed and hit the sweetest power fade with that club!! I have long since replaced that stick now, but I had it in my closet up until about a year ago....when I gave it to a friend of mine that just took up the sport. Of course he moved to a different state not long after that, so now it's like the "child" that has moved out of the house and never to be seen again.

Fond memories........

TaylorMade R500 Tour Driver....Most solid, controllable, and workable head ever made. Great combo with the Speeder 757 tipped 1/2" too!

I have a curious question about this thread. Almost all of the people in here have a favorite and use something different. Now that favorite can be had for a song, so my question is why not play it now?

Could it be lack of memory? Meaning we, as golfers, will amost always remember the great and forget the bad.
Social Credit? As golfers, having the latest and greatest feels good.

Why not play what you considered your favorite?

For me, it's mainly nostalgia. While the 975D and TiSI are my favorites that I've owned, I know that they no longer hold up compared to my current gamer performance wise (distance and forgiveness). However I love the looks of both of those clubs over the G20 for sure.

R9. I have two large fitting outlets near me, I always bring my R9 with me to compare, nothing touches it. I have noticed during the demo's they start you with your club to warm up. After I hit my R9 the sales rep always clears the screen and hands you the new club, which always seems to be straighter and longer..I have since switched back and forth to make sure the reps are not trying to adjust the data for their benefit. Curious to know if it's a sales tactic or a fluke...

983E .

It's the alpha I'm currently gaming right now. If there was something better I'd be gaming it now. The epic is still too pricey around here.

Has to be the driver I'm currently using. My Cobra Flyz + set at 10 degrees loft

Has to be the Callaway Epic. Took 15 years off of my tee game.

JM

Cleveland classic XL,tried so many . Automatic fairway finder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best driver is easily my current 2016 M2.

Favorite driver of all time would also be my current M2, but if I can't choose that one I would go with the 910D2 with the Razr Fit close behind.

It's the epic and it's not even close

Nickent 4DX

2016 M1

My personal favorite of all time was my 905s. Although I certainly wouldn't trade my current F7 for one lol.

It has to be the 2016 M1. This is the first time 20+ years of golf that I've taken one side of the course out of play and I feel confident on the tee.

Epic Sub Zero. Amazing driver. Absolutely amazing. Forgiveness and distance gain is real.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cleveland Launcher.

my current driver. bridgestone j815. makes me want to buy backups in case anything happens to this head.

Whats your favorite driver of all time?

Old 975D or J, or my old R5 Txxxx TP driver off the tour. Probably the later, man I loved that driver. I've never loved my current driver the way I loved any of the above...except for maybe today, because I was killing it and hitting it dead straight today.

Epic subzero is the best I've ever gamed. And I've gamed a lot...

2016 M1

I've got nothing to add to your post my friend but I must say, as a former Wyoming resident, I love your avatar.

I'm loving the GBB now that it's dialed in, but I still don't have the confidence that I had with the 910 D2. That thing wasn't the longest, but boy was it a fairway finder. Definitely my favorite of the driver I've owned so far.

I've only played a 1996 GBB, an r11S, and an Epic.

The Epic wins pretty easily.

T 915D4. By far the best one I've had. Can work it left or right when needed or peirce the wind low. Absolutely love the stick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back