I was rooting so hard for Fed...would love to see him back in the winners circle in the majors.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It's hard to not root for Fed. He is by faaaaaar the classiest guy in tennis since...I don't know who..maybe Pete or Bjorn? I think he has at least one more major in him.

I still haven't seen the men's final, and now I'm on travel and looking at this Residence Inn channel guide, and they don't have Tennis Channel..F***!

The US open is such a greulling test in the NYC August heat. I don't know if the old man can persevere in 5 game matches in 95*/90% humidity. I think it's going to come down to Nole or Rafa against some of the young talent coming down the stretch..

I used to love playing tennis in high school. I havent played in years though and only watch it on TV from time to time, certainly not enough to really know whats going on in the world of tennis though.

I used to live on the Tennis court from 12 to 22, put myself through college working in sporting goods store and pro shops. Still played a lot into mid 30s then started to lose interest.

Never liked to watch it though on person or on TV. Funny.

Agree Fed is a good guy. Wish there were American challengers, but tennis really died here in the US.

I have been wanting to get into tennis some kinda bad. I dont think I will be a fanatic, but I am so interested. It looks fun, demanding and like great exercise.

Can anyone point me in a direction for a decent priced racket? Can I just walk into Target and select any racket?

I have been wanting to get into tennis some kinda bad. I dont think I will be a fanatic, but I am so interested. It looks fun, demanding and like great exercise.

Can anyone point me in a direction for a decent priced racket? Can I just walk into Target and select any racket?

You get from Target in Tennis gear what you get from golf. Not bad to start with but you will get something better eventually. I would search craigslist for decent used rackets. A good one will last a long time.

You get from Target in Tennis gear what you get from golf. Not bad to start with but you will get something better eventually. I would search craigslist for decent used rackets. A good one will last a long time.

All true. Strings are almost as important as the racket. So get a new unstrung racket at a sporting goods store or pro shop and have it strung for you, or buy used and re-string it.

Start playing, take a lesson and let your pro advise you on what to buy. Fortunately even a great modern racket isn't expensive compared to golf clubs.

It is a great game. Good exercise and you can play for most of your life. Had an uncle that played until 88 when cancer took him quickly or he'd still be playing.

This thread as really got me thinking about getting back into it. I used to be pretty good. Was the number one player in my highschool as a freshman through senior year, but knew I couldnt play for a D1 school so I started to play golf. I need to dust off the rackets and start banging it around again.

All true. Strings are almost as important as the racket. So get a new unstrung racket at a sporting goods store or pro shop and have it strung for you, or buy used and re-string it.

Start playing, take a lesson and let your pro advise you on what to buy. Fortunately even a great modern racket isn't expensive compared to golf clubs.

It is a great game. Good exercise and you can play for most of your life. Had an uncle that played until 88 when cancer took him quickly or he'd still be playing.

I have no desire to get lessons. I do not plan on playing regularly, just get out once in a blue for fun.

Played Tennis in High School. Very fun and would like to get back into it.. Just seems I'm golfing every free chance I get.

I too played in high school, first single. Loved the game but tendonitis from that and pitching took its toll on my shoulder. I do try to find a pick-up game when I can.

I am reading the Andre Agassi book called "OPEN" right now, FANTASTIC read, can't put it down.

I too played in high school, first single. Loved the game but tendonitis from that and pitching took its toll on my shoulder. I do try to find a pick-up game when I can.

I am reading the Andre Agassi book called "OPEN" right now, FANTASTIC read, can't put it down.

Exact same thing happend to me. My elbow is pretty recked from playing for so long growing up. Usually have to take 3 aleve before I play now.

I have been wanting to get into tennis some kinda bad. I dont think I will be a fanatic, but I am so interested. It looks fun, demanding and like great exercise..

Nah, wouldn't recommend a cheapo racquet, even for just casual play. Tennis Warehouse, Holabird Sports, or Midwest Sports have good selection and prices. You can go to Traget or Dicks just to find out what grip size you need (when you wrap your hand around the grip your fingertips should come to within ~1/2 - 3/4" of meeting your palm). I would recommend a 98 sq in mid-level stick from any of the big names - Wilson, Head, Prince, etc. I started with the Head Liquidmetal Radical MP. Have them string it up with a decent poly string (I like Technifibre Red Code 17g), and you're ready to go.

Tennis Warehouse has a good forum where you can learn the basics about grips and swings.

Good luck!

Nah, wouldn't recommend a cheapo racquet, even for just casual play. Tennis Warehouse, Holabird Sports, or Midwest Sports have good selection and prices. You can go to Traget or Dicks just to find out what grip size you need (when you wrap your hand around the grip your fingertips should come to within ~1/2 - 3/4" of meeting your palm). I would recommend a 98 sq in mid-level stick from any of the big names - Wilson, Head, Prince, etc. I started with the Head Liquidmetal Radical MP. Have them string it up with a decent poly string (I like Technifibre Red Code 17g), and you're ready to go.

Tennis Warehouse has a good forum where you can learn the basics about grips and swings.

Good luck!

I dont think id wanna put that much time/effort into it honestly. It would be something that I might play 10 times a year MAX. Golf will always be the first choice on a nice day.

Just don't uses a junk racquet. Can cause arm problems. Not likely but possible and "tennis elbow" can creep into your golf. Other than that have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

^^^Agree. Cheapo racquets are usually very stiff with strings like wire. Feels like hitting a rock. Think of thinning a TF XL with Northwestern irons.

Beware, for some tennis can be as addicting as golf!

Played tennis with a buddy. Both of us are complete rookies. Here are some things that stood out.

1. I am better than I imagined I'd be.
2. Its easier to spin a backhand than a forehand.
3. Drop shots are not as easy as Federer makes them look.
4. Holy crap, what a workout.
5. It's hard to hit the serve hard and keep it in bounds.
6. It's really hard to hit those low screamers.
7. I freaking love it.

I bought a Head Ti Radical Elite Racquet. He had a Wilson from Target. The main difference I noticed... my grip felt ALOT better and my racquet felt a little lighter.

All in all... we had a blast!

That's f'n awesome.

1. Good!
2. Yup, if you're talking about backspin.
3. Drop shots are an advanced shot (good ones, that is)
4. Few things make my body feel as good as 1-2 hrs of tennis.
5. Serves are remarkably similar to hitting a driver - center contact makes the ball go fast, and this is acheived (at least for us hackers) by swinging within yourself
6. Learn to hit with topspin - this allows you to hit it a little harder and keep it in - it essentially makes the court larger.
7. I told ya tennis can be addicting!

I would advise going on tenniswarehouse.com forums and learning just the fundamentals - grips (there are a couple different ones you should use during a game), and how to hit forehands and backhands (I recommend a 2-hand) and serves.

Just like golf, IMO there are few things that are prettier in ball/stick sports than hitting that perfect forehand topspin winner, or an ace down the T, just like a pured drive or 3i.

Enjoy, and let us know how you progress!

Edit: Just like in golf, one of the big "secrets" that every tennis player knows but struggles with is watching the ball all the way through contact (unless you are Duval or Sorenstam).

Last edited:
That's f'n awesome.

1. Good!
2. Yup, if you're talking about backspin.
3. Drop shots are an advanced shot (good ones, that is)
4. Few things make my body feel as good as 1-2 hrs of tennis.
5. Serves are remarkably similar to hitting a driver - center contact makes the ball go fast, and this is acheived (at least for us hackers) by swinging within yourself
6. Learn to hit with topspin - this allows you to hit it a little harder and keep it in - it essentially makes the court larger.
7. I told ya tennis can be addicting!

I would advise going on tenniswarehouse.com forums and learning just the fundamentals - grips (there are a couple different ones you should use during a game), and how to hit forehands and backhands (I recommend a 2-hand) and serves.

Just like golf, IMO there are few things that are prettier in ball/stick sports than hitting that perfect forehand topspin winner, or an ace down the T, just like a pured drive or 3i.

Enjoy, and let us know how you progress!

Edit: Just like in golf, one of the big "secrets" that every tennis player knows but struggles with is watching the ball all the way through contact (unless you are Duval or Sorenstam).

Bolded is EXACTLY something that I noticed when I played. I often pulled my head up.

I don't know what that is. Our stupid brains for some reason think that sending the ball to a certain spot is accomplished by looking at that spot. Of course as soon as you do this, your brain says, "where's the ball?", and you proceed to frame the ball. And, no matter how many times you shank it, your brain still continues its dumb ways, and has to manually overridden almost every shot.

A good game going on right now between Murray and Djokovic. I'm no fan of his, but gotta cheer on the Brit.

A good game going on right now between Murray and Djokovic. I'm no fan of his, but gotta cheer on the Brit.

I watched the 1st 2 sets then called it a night. Looks like Murray fell flat in the last 2 sets. Oh well, I'm hoping Federer can get past Monfils (should be a good match tonight) and can keep his play up for Djokovic.

It is impossible to not like Federer.

Back