Need Driver Advice

Ss12108

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

I'll keep this short. I'm in the market for a new driver because I'm playing a driver that was given to me which isn't exactly right for me, even though I have days I hit it OK. It's a Cleveland classic 270 with a 46" senior flex shaft and 12 degree loft. I went to golfsmith and swung a Titleist D3 with stiff flex and 10.5 degree loft, and have consistent 95-105 mph club head speed and 16-18 degree loft angle. The face on my Cleveland is INCREDIBLY forgiving, and I'm a 27 index although improving, so it's really hard to miss that thing really bad...its just not

Here's the kicker...I just won a 10 degree SLDR with stiff flex at an outing, and I'm afraid to take it out of the wrapper because I think I need something more "game improvement" and I can trade it in possibly for something else. The loft and flex are fine, but I just don't know how forgiving it is. I plan on swinging the identical demo at golfsmith now to test it out, but figured I have my friends at the forum to tell me what they know.

So friends, what do you all think? Is it too difficult of a club for a player like me?

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

I went to PGA SS to get fitted for an SLDR the fitter convinced me to try the new Big Bertha as well, between the two the Big Berta Driver was much more consistent and not really any shorter distance wise. The SLDR is longer when hit dead center but I found it to be a lot more penalizing when I missed center which I do a lot so I went with the Big Berta. If you hit the middle of the face most of the time the SLDR is great, but if your like me I found the BB a lot more forgiving.

I love my SLDR 10.5* stock stiff. But I will say, while the face is pretty forgiving, it may be the most finicky club I have ever hit. The difference between draw, straight, and fade is so small it is nearly nonexistent. I just switched from a 2006 Titleist 903. Even going from a 400cc head to a 460cc head, I find the SLDR to be more demanding (though I hit it a lot further).

Some people love the SLDR and some people hate it. If you are concerned I'd suggest going to a shop and hitting one before deciding whether to keep it or not.

I went to PGA SS to get fitted for an SLDR the fitter convinced me to try the new Big Bertha as well, between the two the Big Berta Driver was much more consistent and not really any shorter distance wise. The SLDR is longer when hit dead center but I found it to be a lot more penalizing when I missed center which I do a lot so I went with the Big Berta. If you hit the middle of the face most of the time the SLDR is great, but if your like me I found the BB a lot more forgiving.

Where exactly is the middle of the face? Lol

That's exactly what I read and exactly what I'm worried about. The BB is the other club I was thinking I'd trade for. I plan on hitting both now at the store but having that thing sitting there when I am playing again tomorrow is going to be TORTURE haha.

The SLDR is not the most forgiving driver on the market some forgiveness can be achieved by increasing the loft i would find a place where you can hit a in the 12* and 14* loft maybe even the 16*

Might as well try a X2 Hot as well. I thought going from the Razr Fit Xtreme to an X2 Hot would be a step backwards, it wasn't. It was longer and more forgiving over the big bertha. I would say hit as many as you can though.

Might as well try a X2 Hot as well. I thought going from the Razr Fit Xtreme to an X2 Hot would be a step backwards, it wasn't. It was longer and more forgiving over the big bertha. I would say hit as many as you can though.

That is definitely the pragmatic thing to do. I have to make a decision quickly on short notice because I will probably have to work on the pro shop at the club I won it at to work out a trade, so I don't want to wait too long. Might have to sneak over to golfsmith after my round tomorrow, hit a bunch of drivers, and make a move.

Well impulsiveness took over. I took the SLDR back to the club, they gave me $300 credit (what the outing paid), and I grabbed the BB for $375 lol. I'll let everyone know how I hit it today and after a range session to tune in the settings. He swapped out the R flex shaft it had for the S flex from an alpha he had as a demo, so I'm looking forward to the extra control over the spaghetti flex I've been using this season lol.

I think you will like the BB. I still like the look of the SLDR but the BB just performed better for me.

I was all over the place today but it had nothing to do with the club. Took me a while to adjust to the change in flex and the weighting of it, but the reviews aren't kidding when they say even off center hits are rewarded with some distance. I needed forgiveness today and I got it lol. I'm going to hit the range tonight since the wife is away and just groove this baby. Gotta get used to aligning it and everything...I hit every ball off the heel of the face today for some reason.

I have the Bertha as well and I think it's a great club. I mean, speaking for myself the club can only do so much. I have a tendency to hit things off the toe and I have found the forgiveness there very good.

Give the Cobra Bio Cell a try. It can be set up at 12*. Its very straight and forgiving for me and I've tried most out there. Good luck.

Big Bertha, you won't regret it.

I was all over the place today but it had nothing to do with the club. Took me a while to adjust to the change in flex and the weighting of it, but the reviews aren't kidding when they say even off center hits are rewarded with some distance. I needed forgiveness today and I got it lol. I'm going to hit the range tonight since the wife is away and just groove this baby. Gotta get used to aligning it and everything...I hit every ball off the heel of the face today for some reason.

I was going to say that as a 27 handicap with a 100 mph swing speed, the SLDR probably isn't a good fit for you, and I was going to recommend the Ping G25 as the best combination of forgiveness and distance. But the Big Bertha (non-alpha) is also an excellent choice, and it sounds like you're having some success with it.

I was going to say that as a 27 handicap with a 100 mph swing speed, the SLDR probably isn't a good fit for you, and I was going to recommend the Ping G25 as the best combination of forgiveness and distance. But the Big Bertha (non-alpha) is also an excellent choice, and it sounds like you're having some success with it.

Yea thank goodness I decided to trade it in for credit. I need a couple of range sessions with the big Bertha (it is the non-alpha) Just to get my setup right and tune in the fade/draw slider.

Now it's time to start considering new irons. I'm playing a set of Ping Zing 2 Black dots I bought on eBay. Love these things but I think it's almost time to take advantage of some newer technology, although these were way ahead of their time haha. People laugh when they see them in my bag until they see me catch a clean 5 iron and go, "wow that sounded nice" lol.

I would sell it and try an Amp Cell or Bio Cell which can be had for much cheaper.

Finally got out again today, and after a slow start with the driver, something finally clicked on the 8th hole and I never looked back. I hit absolute SEEDS with this thing! The ball just absolutely explodes off the face of this thing. I'm not usually one to give much credit to equipment, and I was skeptical, but I have no doubt I'll be longer and straighter off the tee with this. Even my misses and mishits went much straighter than my other driver and still left me in good position for my second shot distance wise.

Long story short, I'm thrilled I traded for this!

Glad you found one that works for you! I know im a little late to the party i would have said try the bio cell and the BB. well looks like you tried the BB and like it. Congrats

For irons, I have found the TM Speedblades to be sweet! Although, there was someone selling a set of Biocell irons and hybrids for $300.00 in the marketplace.... nice set up and can't beat the deal!

Hi all,

I'll keep this short. I'm in the market for a new driver because I'm playing a driver that was given to me which isn't exactly right for me, even though I have days I hit it OK. It's a Cleveland classic 270 with a 46" senior flex shaft and 12 degree loft. I went to golfsmith and swung a Titleist D3 with stiff flex and 10.5 degree loft, and have consistent 95-105 mph club head speed and 16-18 degree loft angle. The face on my Cleveland is INCREDIBLY forgiving, and I'm a 27 index although improving, so it's really hard to miss that thing really bad...its just not

Here's the kicker...I just won a 10 degree SLDR with stiff flex at an outing, and I'm afraid to take it out of the wrapper because I think I need something more "game improvement" and I can trade it in possibly for something else. The loft and flex are fine, but I just don't know how forgiving it is. I plan on swinging the identical demo at golfsmith now to test it out, but figured I have my friends at the forum to tell me what they know.

So friends, what do you all think? Is it too difficult of a club for a player like me?

I love that driver btw. Not the loft or flex but the style. With your swing speed I would definitely look at something in a stiff and maybe cut down an inch or 2 to 44.5" in length. Give that a go.

I game the sldr and it is actually quite forgiving. The only time I lose a lot of distance is when I catch it thin. The sldr is the best driver I've ever gamed. Better than the big Bertha. Callaway drivers in general are not forgiving. The nike coverts are the most forgiving on the market hands down. Not a big nike guy either, But the coverts are also an amazing club. I would definitely hit the covert as well as the big Bertha which i wouldn't recommend to many people.

PING G Series. Incredibly accurate and forgiving with plenty of distance.

I would sell it and try an Amp Cell or Bio Cell which can be had for much cheaper.

Love ... love ... love! my Bio Cell ... and I used to suk really bad out of the tee box before the Bio Cell ...

Back