Tour de France 2014 (spoilers)

Wow.

Chris Froome goes down yesterday, then two more wrecks on the wet cobbles today, and he has to pull out of the race.

Odds on favorite to win, and just gets beaten by the road.

Hate to see it for Froome, love watching him race.

This weather and the cobblestones is making this quite interesting. Pretty darn dangerous if you ask me. I have always liked the Tour de France cant say I know any of the riders but it is a pretty cool event. I am always amazed at how this guys are pushing the limits.

98 miles in 3 plus hours that is insane and in these horrible conditions. That is extremely impressive.

98 miles in 3 plus hours that is insane and in these horrible conditions. That is extremely impressive.
Crazy fast time, considering it was raining and they were riding over cobblestones for 7 parts of that 98 miles.

Crazy fast time, considering it was raining and they were riding over cobblestones for 7 parts of that 98 miles.

I know, those conditions were brutal. Going from the cobblestones back to the rain slicked road and back to the cobblestones is just really impressive. I also thought a lot more guys would be falling.

Just woken up to see Froome is out. That's 2 Brits that were expected to perform both out. Gutted. That stage looked brutal! Rain and cobblestones, what a combination!

Just woken up to see Froome is out. That's 2 Brits that were expected to perform both out. Gutted. That stage looked brutal! Rain and cobblestones, what a combination!

Interesting enough, most if the crashes took place away from the cobbles.

Nibali gaining 2+ minutes on that stage is huge.

Froome's first crash seemed to be him riding into a divider in the middle of the road. I thought TJ Van Garderen's comments were interesting after. He basically blasted the stage.
Was a very good ride from Nibali today.

Froome's first crash seemed to be him riding into a divider in the middle of the road. I thought TJ Van Garderen's comments were interesting after. He basically blasted the stage.
Was a very good ride from Nibali today.

His interview was great, and basically said what most were thinking. However, the weather caused most if the issues, not the cobble stages.

Even though I have been a cyclist since forever (my first bike was an Atala - old Italian brand), I never got into the TDF. After a few years off, however, I am getting back on the road, and I watched the entire stages last night and the night before. It was actually quite compelling, especially seeing all the crashes in the rain (the one dude going over his handle bars was nasty). I'm going to commit to learning the stratagies and teams and names (I know Contador but that's it). That German dude was pure beast sprinting across the line last night.

I have really enjoyed following the Tour this year. I am no expert and really only know a handful of riders in the field. Cycling really is an afterthought in the US but I think if there were some events here that might get more people into it. The strategy that the teams use is pretty cool also. In the end it is just really impressive what these athletes are able to accomplish.

I have really enjoyed following the Tour this year. I am no expert and really only know a handful of riders in the field. Cycling really is an afterthought in the US but I think if there were some events here that might get more people into it. The strategy that the teams use is pretty cool also. In the end it is just really impressive what these athletes are able to accomplish.

The Tour of California is one of the biggest Cycling events on the calendar each year...

Even though I have been a cyclist since forever (my first bike was an Atala - old Italian brand), I never got into the TDF. After a few years off, however, I am getting back on the road, and I watched the entire stages last night and the night before. It was actually quite compelling, especially seeing all the crashes in the rain (the one dude going over his handle bars was nasty). I'm going to commit to learning the stratagies and teams and names (I know Contador but that's it). That German dude was pure beast sprinting across the line last night.

Kittel is an animal...just wish that Cavendish was still in the race to challenge him.

The Tour of California is one of the biggest Cycling events on the calendar each year...
Had no idea this even existed. Tour de France is the only one I really know of

Holy smokes what a great stage yesterday. I was at the edge of my couch. It was kind of a shame to see the Kiwi get overtaken in the last 50m, but you have to give credit to those sprinters, just too much beastness.

Holy smokes what a great stage yesterday. I was at the edge of my couch. It was kind of a shame to see the Kiwi get overtaken in the last 50m, but you have to give credit to those sprinters, just too much beastness.

I loved hearing the excuses from Kittel when he didn't win the sprint.

I loved hearing the excuses from Kittel when he didn't win the sprint.

War, what does this event do for you compared to say the Ryder Cup? I know your passion for the sport, curious to see where it ranks for you vs golf

Back