Rock's Quest for a Three-peat of the City Championship

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
It's that time of year. My city tournament is coming up on August 2-3. Figured I'd post in here my general thought, preparation, and eventually tournament updates.

For those that don't know, I have won the city tournament the past two years. The first year, I won it at +17 over 36 holes, won by a stroke. Mostly luck, some of the competition wasn't there. Last year, I won it at +14, and won by 6 strokes. The interesting thing about last year, was I shot 73 (+11) on the first day, and then 65(+3) on the second day. But I'll talk more about those rounds later.

At the beginning of this season, I was evaluating how I can improve my game the most. I reflected quite a bit on my past two championships, how I struck the ball, how I felt, how it was different from a regular round of league. I considered how much time I have to practice, my lack of access to a driving range. In the end, I concluded that really, over the past two years, I've struck the ball pretty well. I realized that the difference between my league rounds and the city tournament was my mindset....it was my mental game. I never went into a City Tournament trying to tweak a swing to perfection. Those last two weeks, I'm playing the game that I have, and creating a gameplan around it.

But anyways, again, I'll hit more on that later. So I concluded the mental game is where I could see the most improvement this year. So I bought a book, Your 15th Club or maybe it The 15th Club. Someone here on THP had posted about it, and so I picked up a copy. A fairly quick read. I've read it off and on over the past couple of months, and finished it up last night. Honestly, everyone should read it. At first, you'll read it, and you will be like "duh, of course you can't think like that or do that." But then the book explains how people with a poor mental game remember rounds of golf, or treat a bad shot, and you quickly realize "oh wait, I am that guy, my mental game could use an overhaul."

So I'm going to use this thread to take you on my journey for a three-peat. I'll discuss some rounds I play, maybe a bit on how I practice. But primarily, I'm using this thread to overhaul my mental game. Sort of an affirmation of the good things about my game, and how I plan to maximize them. I'll discuss the occasional drill I might do to work on one aspect of my physical game or another from time to time. Over the next couple of days, I'm going to discuss my memories of the last two titles I've won.

But I'm going to leave it today with this. At the beginning of the year, someone was talking to me about a particular guy who is 'gunning' for me in the city championship this year. He has gotten second to me the past two years. I thought about it for a moment, and I responded "I think that's great, and if he beats me, I will shake his hand and tell him he played a great golf game. But these last two years, I've come from 3 strokes behind and 2 strokes behind after the first day. This year, they will all be chasing me after the first day." I kept my last thought to myself, because I didn't want to sound arrogant. But my final thought was 'this year, there won't be any question who is going to win after the first round, because I'm going to be 6-8 strokes ahead of second place after the first day.'

~Rock

Sounds like some solid planning there Rock. Play your game and keep you head with the right thoughts, you should do great. Look forward to following along with this years journey.

give them hell again Rock

Is this the same 60 plus guy that is gunning for you? I have no doubt the Mayor will win the city tournament again. Good luck and I can't wait to read your thoughts on practice and the tournament.

Is this the same 60 plus guy that is gunning for you? I have no doubt the Mayor will win the city tournament again. Good luck and I can't wait to read your thoughts on practice and the tournament.
Yes it is.

~Rock

So I played a league round tonight. And then I followed it up with some match play (because the Granddaddy had me thinking about it). My league round was ok, at best. I really hit the ball ok off the tee, but my short game was killing me. Short game really hasn't been great since sometime just before our Southern Iowa event. I lipped 3 putts, and lipped a chip. I look at the positive, and I tell myself, "you were that close." I really put myself in competition mode for tonight, so I could test the strengths and weaknesses in my game. My game needs some practice. Not practice to be perfect, but practice to be consistent. I don't think it will be tomorrow, but after tonight, I have a pretty good idea of the practice regimen I need to do to get ready for this. I think I'm going to do 2 day of pitching, combined with putting, like 75% pitching and 25% putting. 2 days of full swings, with driver and 3 wood accounting for at least 33% of that. Then one day of nothing but putting. That putting day will be 50% drills, and 50% putting around on the actual greens to usual pin locations.

But as I said before, I'm working on my mental game. I know with some work, I can become very comfortable with my game. I remember on my league round, 9th hole, I hit a drive off the top portion of my driver. It went plenty long, but a bit higher than normal. Still, I had 140 left and was in a perfect spot, which was precisely where I aimed. I pulled 8 iron, my usual 140 club, and I hit the purest shot of the past few weeks. Everything felt right, it felt natural. I turned my shoulders around my spine while maintaining my spine angle and not tilting it forward or back. Yes, I carried it just over the green, and had just an awful shot coming back, but I hit that 8 iron so well.

Then there was the drive in my second round on hole 7. Again, I had that same feeling of perfect balance. I hit the ball, with a 10-15 yard fade, which has become my norm in the past couple of years with the driver. But it flew, and it flew long, landing into an upslope, but then bouncing and rolling over the top of the hill, setting up a perfect angle for an approach shot.

Those are the two shots that stick out most in my mind. Beautifully struck, perfect balance. I can recall all of the close calls, the lips, everything else, but those are the two that stick out most in my mind.

I know what I need to do, and I have plenty of time to do it. Now it's time to practice. Now it's time to hone my physical and mental game. Now is the time where I guarantee that I run away from the field after the first day. And I know I can do it.

~Rock

Been waiting for this! I was around for last years repeat. Give 'em hell man! Looking forward to following along.

JM

Good luck! Sounds like you have a solid plan. I look forward to hearing about this over the next month!

Good luck dude!

Best of luck, Rock!

Good luck, Rock! Give em hell again!

Go get em partner!!!!...I mean Mayor

good luck hope you take it again

Good luck on the threepeat Rock! Give em hell!

I can't wait for the three-peat!

/Pays Pat Riley

Good luck and expect a 3peat championship post.

Well, this will be kind of a two part post. First, I'll discuss my recollection of my first city championship title from two years ago. Then I'll talk about my practice this morning.

Nearly 2 years ago. There I was, ready to just enjoy some golf with a lot of great people for the City Championship. I knew what my average score was, and I figured it would probably get me in the championship flight, but not in contention. That year, I averaged a 36 for 9 holes (72 for 18, which is +10). I figured winning score would be around +10 for the 36 hole tournament. So I went out, played with a guy and his high school son. I remember thinking his son had so much potential throughout that day. He was only a Freshmen at the time. (Side note, he did have potential, and racked up several high school tournament victories this year). It was a relaxing day. I had some ups, and some downs. I had put in some prep work the week leading up to it. Just the usual pitching and putting. Honestly, I was just enjoying being out on a nice day. My game plan that week was "no big numbers," which really just meant no double bogeys. I succeeded, having only one double for those first 18 holes. The father was playing some of the best golf of his life, and shot 70 that day. The son shot around 72, and I shot 73 or 74. It was an ok day.

So were sitting at the scoring table, watching the rounds come in, and strangely enough, the father who shot 70 was in the lead. I thought to myself, "I don't know if he can shoot that good tomorrow, but I know his son can. I actually may have a chance at this." I went home, relaxed for the day. I remember thinking that I would have to shoot 67 to have a good shot at winning. So the next day had a completely different feel. I was more focused. I was more tuned into my game plan. I remember when I made my first birdie putt, both Father and Son had each had horrendous blowups that very same hole. All of a sudden, I was tied for the lead, but there were at least 15 holes of golf left to be played. It was at that moment, that I started walking taller. It wasn't intentional, I can't intentionally walk the way I did that day (and I walked that way last year on Sunday as well). It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm walking 'tough and confident.' Wherever I walked, I was always eyeing my ball and the green. I was so focused, and so extremely confident. I hit a few bad shots, sure, no one is perfect. But I always recovered. I never lost my cool. I viewed every shot as "I can do this, no problem." Every putt was makeable. I never lost that 'walk' for the rest of the day. I ended up shooting the 66 or 67 and winning the city tourney by 1 stroke that year. It was something I never thought I'd actually achieve. I went home, had some pictures with my son of us celebrating my win (he was almost 1 at the time). And I crashed. That level of focus drained me, but it was so rewarding, and felt so good. What I learned about that year was that confidence (which is a big part of the mental game) played such a huge role. I can't wait to achieve 'the walk' again.

Part 2 - Putting practice

Since it's that time of year, I focused more during yesterday's league round and post round of match play. I wanted to see where my game was at when I focused a bit more than my usual casual round. I didn't have the best ball striking day, but it wasn't far off (just a hair off the sweet spot most of the day). It was my short game where I saw the need for most improvement. I lipped a lot of putts and chips yesterday. Also a good sign, as I'm that close, just need to hone it down some more.

So I woke up around 545 this morning, couldn't get back to sleep. So I figured now was as good a time as any to start my morning practices. I got up, got ready, got to the number 1 green (the flattest green on the course) at 640. I had bought a book a few weeks ago called "The Complete Golf Manual." I bought it because while thumbing through it, it had a lot of simple, but great drills in all aspects of the game. The drills appeared to fit any number of swings. It wasn't so much mechanical instruction, as much as just a lot of great drills to use during practice. Anyways, they have a 'test yourself' section for the various aspects of the game. I was going out this morning just for putting. I felt my stroke was off and needed to gain the confidence back. So the test was to take 7 balls, and 'circle' them around the hole about the putter length away. I'm guessing it was about 32". Then you hit them, and count how many you make. I made 6/7 (again, just got sloppy with one, just like yesterday). Then you pick a spot about 30 feet away from the cup, and putt 8 balls at it. I was 5/8. I really struggled to hit the ball hard enough to get there with all the dew on the greens. I've never seen a ball kick up that big of a water tail. And so I missed the first 3, but made the next 5 once I had the incredibly slow speed down.

So my total score was 11, which has me close to "level 3" in putting for the book (out of 3 levels). So I went into some drills. First I just set two tees in the ground and a ball in the middle. Just making sure I'm not swiping across the ball. Then I did a drill where I would pick a spot 18" from the hole, and putt 4 balls in. Then I'd go back another 18" and putt 4 in. Then another and then another at around 5-6 feet out. I did this three times around the cup. Could tell I was starting to get a little more aggressive at getting the ball to the back of the cup, and not putting so tentative. Then I did another drill, about 7-8 feet from the cup. I would putt, and never look at the cup. Meaning after the stroke, all I could do was listen to see if I made it. Again, I saw improvement in my stroke, and actually made quite a few. Then I did a 4 ball ladder drill. 4 balls, one behind the other about 12 inches apart, and on the same line. Again, just trusting that a four foot putt isn't much different than a 1 foot putt, just get it to the back of the hole. I wrapped up with just tossing some balls around the green and trying to make them all in two putts. I'll admit, I didn't do so hot, leaving many 8 feet short. The dew was something else. I may try that drill again when the greens are dry and see how I do.

I left after about 45 minutes. I feel quite a bit better about my putting, especially from that crucial 5-6 foot range. What is especially confidence boosting is that I made quite a few of those 5-6 footers without having to 'line' the ball up with the putting aid alignment. I just trusted my natural stroke, and made quite a few. Really, I think I putted without 'thinking too much' and ended up having a more pure stroke as a result.

Pending rain, I'll get out again tomorrow for some more practice. Probably full swing practice tomorrow.

~Rock

Play well Rock, sounds like you've got a plan so stick with it and play your own game. Good luck!

As Mayor, if you win for the 3rd year in a row. Will you rename the course McRock National Golf Club?

Gotta keep rolling with those championships "Mayor"! That course is soooo much fun to play. Wish I was able to get in and give the tournament a whirl. Don't you have the ability to change those rules? :p Good luck sir! I have no doubt you'll be taking home #3.

As Mayor, if you win for the 3rd year in a row. Will you rename the course McRock National Golf Club?

That would be awesome. Can a par 31 9 hole course be a "national golf club?"

Gotta keep rolling with those championships "Mayor"! That course is soooo much fun to play. Wish I was able to get in and give the tournament a whirl. Don't you have the ability to change those rules? :p Good luck sir! I have no doubt you'll be taking home #3.

I am never going to live this Mayor thing down. I do not have the ability to change the rules, nor do I want to. That would be up to the Golf Board, who also does not want to. They don't like "outsiders" coming in and ruining the locals' chance of winning.

~Rock

Ok, let's talk about last year's city tournament. Last year, I prepared nearly the same as the year before. Just sort of play golf, and then the week of the tournament, I go out everyday and just practice my pitch shots from my 'usual miss spots' off the tee, and I practice putting on all the greens to usual tournament pin locations. Nothing fancy there.

It was going to be different than my first win. That first win, we had several people from a neighboring city who did not come (due to a town festival). As a result, there was less competition, and specifically, less competition my age who on average, plays better than me. I knew that, but I also knew that I had a game plan, and to just stick to it.

As I was driving into the golf course, I felt just a little sinking feeling in my heart. I thought to myself "this is it, this is your last weekend as City Champion, unless I win again." I was pretty proud of myself for winning the previous year, and being able to call myself the City Champion for the entire year. Perhaps that was the first moment that something went wrong that Saturday. I warmed up as usual. I don't typically practice putting, because our practice green is nearly non-existent, and it's 'improper' to practice on the first green (it's accepted, since everyone knows we basically have no practice green, but most won't do it). I hit some crappy balls, ones with flakes or cracks. I'm not watching for ball flight or distance, just trying to hit the sweet spot. Then we listened to the rules and headed off to our holes. I started on hole 5 last year, playing with my insurance agent (who I was very unhappy with at the time, but I maintained my composure), and one of those guys my age who I considered strong competition for the event. I was actually glad to be playing with him, I wanted to play with someone who might push me a little, who might make me a little nervous if he starts playing good.

Well, first tee shot, not on the sweet spot, it was ok, but I left myself a 40 yard pitch shot to a par 3 green. And then the rest of the day just sort of followed that. Never hitting quite pure, I put one out of bounds on the 7th hole. Never could get the putter working. The greens were mowed that morning, and were the fastest they had been in two years. Also, if you want to know how to lose your fear of the shanks, just have it happen about once a week. I think I shanked twice that day. But when you shank enough times, it becomes less of a 'mythical demon' and more of just a screw up. I actually consider those shanks last year a blessing to my golf game for the rest of my life, because I literally have no fear of them. If they happen, its nothing more than when I duck hook a ball or blade a pitch shot.

Anyways, I was doing poorly that Saturday. My mind was racing, just looking for something to get me going, to feel right, to feel natural. I hit a great tee shot on number 3 (which was my hole 17) and was able to two putt for par. I then hit another great tee shot on 4, and was able to two putt for birdie (it's a driveable par 4). Wow, ok, I thought. That really turned my round around. I shot 73 that first day, which is +11, and should have been good enough to make the championship flight. Hopefully I wouldn't be more than a few strokes behind. And indeed, that was the case. I was 2 or 3 strokes behind. I felt relieved that I tried so hard all day to maintain my focus and grind out that score, despite my less than average golf.

Have you ever watched a PGA tour event, and the announcers discuss 'getting momentum' for the next day. Well, that's real, or at least it was for me. I actually played another 27 holes Saturday afternoon, trying to find my swing rhythm (which I found quickly) and getting used to the new speed of the greens. Add to that, my wife came and surprised me at the golf course with a brand new Sun Mountain c-130 cart bag that I had been eyeing (but I was too cheap to ever buy). I played a few more holes after she did that. Really, my mind was racing again. I realized that the city tournament isn't everything. I have a wife and son who love me, whether I win or not. I really just have a great life.

So I came out Sunday renewed, refreshed. I had momentum from a strong finish the day before. Add to that, my thought the day before prior to starting was "this is it, my last weekend as champion unless I win." My thought sunday morning was "my wife and kid love me, they let me play this crazy game, and even get me nice things for it." It was a much more positive thought. Started off on hole 5 again, and shot par-bogey I think. Either way, they were acceptable scores, and I didn't have to grind to get them. 3d hold, which was the par 4 7th. I hit a great drive. placed the ball perfectly below the hole on my pitch shot, and then made the 15 footer for birdie.

And that was the moment when it clicked again. I began having 'the walk.' My focus doubled, not through my own effort, it just occurred naturally. And that walk, the walk of confidence. Honestly, most of the rest of the round is kind of a blur. I don't remember any real particular shot. "The walk" lasted the rest of the day. I just remember that I never looked back from that point. I kept my foot on the gas, everything was makeable. I shot 65 that day. And I'm pretty sure it was rounds of 34 and 31. I do remember that I only had 10 putts the final 9 holes (11 if you count the one from the fringe). I had 4 or 5 birdies that day as well. When we wrapped up, I waited for other scores to come in. I was told the Sunday leader wasn't having a good day, and then I found out I won by 6 strokes. Felt nice to just blow the competition out of the water. I enjoyed my drink while everyone made fun of me for practicing too much.

I went home, gave my wife the winnings (which I do anytime I win anything, whether it be gambling or golfing). She doesn't believe me, but I told her it was the golf bag gift that did it, because it created new perspective for me on the tournament and life in general.

And that is how I got to where I am now. Ready to three-peat. I am practicing a bit more than usual leading up to the championship, but that is only because I want to blow the competition out of the water on day one and never look back. I also know that, if it doesn't work out the first day, I know I can go low at my course, and catch up. I know whether I win or not, my family will love me (if they didn't I'd have larger problems in life than this attempted three-peat). Whether I win or not, I am going to play like a winner.

~Rock

I knew what my average score was, and I figured it would probably get me in the championship flight, but not in contention. That year, I averaged a 36 for 9 holes (72 for 18, which is +10). I figured winning score would be around +10 for the 36 hole tournament.

Let me preface this question by saying that it is not meant to be disrespectful or demeaning, but how does +10 get into the championship flight? I have never entered a city tourney in my area (DFW, TX), but I would have to assume there are a high number of players that are scratch golfers and that is what I would equate with the top flight of a city tourney. Small area / limited field?

I'm definitely following you on the 'getting your mind in the right spot' vibe. Far too often I let me focus go for a shot or 2 and before I know it the great round I had going dissolves.

Let me preface this question by saying that it is not meant to be disrespectful or demeaning, but how does +10 get into the championship flight? I have never entered a city tourney in my area (DFW, TX), but I would have to assume there are a high number of players that are scratch golfers and that is what I would equate with the top flight of a city tourney. Small area / limited field?

I'm definitely following you on the 'getting your mind in the right spot' vibe. Far too often I let me focus go for a shot or 2 and before I know it the great round I had going dissolves.

No disrespect taken. That's a solid question, and I'm surprised no one has asked it earlier over the past couple of years. You are partially correct, part of the reason +10 makes the championship flight is due to a limited field. Last year, we had around 18 play in the city tournament. The year before was around 24. The championship flight cut is usually around +14 - +16. But the top score after the first day hasn't been better than +8. Cut lines aren't based on the number of people in the flight, they are based on "can the last place guy have a chance to get into the money in his flight?"

But the second reason is this, our course has very small greens. In fact, I can walk across most of our greens in about 20 steps, and those steps aren't a yard long. Many of the greens are probably 45 feet maybe? at most? I've always said I would measure them, but never have. Anyways, I've digressed. When you combine very small greens on par 3s with yardages of 225, 195, 210, 220, and 224, it becomes very difficult to hit those greens in one shot. And if you miss by more than 10 yards, you often times end up with very delicate pitch shots due to the very small size of the greens. The bogeys don't come on the par 4s, they come on the par 3s.

Case in point. We recently had an event here in Southern Iowa, and I 'treated' some THPers to my home course on Friday. We played somewhere in the range of 30 holes, maybe more. Plenty in the group are better golfers than me. There were two greenies all day, and I'm not sure, but I think they were both on a 95 yard par 3 (our first hole on the course is either 225 yard par 3, or 95 yards, depending which tee you play). The greens are hard to hit.

That's not to say better players haven't shot par. We used to have a guy who consistently shot 3 under par out there. But he was a rarity for this area. Often times, he would have 10 strokes over the third place guy (there was another who would consistently shoot par, but not under par, he has also left the area). I've shot under par twice, both last year, and I've parred several times in the past few years. But it's hard, it takes a bit of luck, and an excellent ball striking day with irons off the tee.

So I hope that answers your question. It is just something unique about our course, and the limited field that plays in it.

~Rock

I measured a green tonight for fun. 21 yard diameter. Not a very large target from 200+ yards away.

~Rock

Back