Iron HeadCovers - Question for the guys that don't use them

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Why not?

I've heard that chatter happens. That it adds character. And so on. If that's the case why do you headcover your Woods, Hybrids, and Putter?

Personally I don't use them either and the biggest reason has always been I hated the look of iron headcovers and I played cast stainless irons. With me about to pull the trigger on some forged clubs though (Apex) I thought I might look around again. Lo and behold I found these gorgeous things!

il_570xN.526170764_8wtd.jpg

So if you could find head covers that suited your eye like these do to mine would you start using them?

No I wouldnt because I think they are all ugly. That is my opinion obviously, but I would never put iron covers on and I play Apex as well

too much to keep up with and I just dont like the way they look

No I wouldnt because I think they are all ugly. That is my opinion obviously, but I would never put iron covers on and I play Apex as well

Why though? My reason was because I never felt I needed them and I couldn't find a cover I liked. If you found a cover that you liked would you still not use them? If so why do you put covers on woods/hybrids (assuming of course that you do).

Not a fan of the looks and don't want to deal with the hassle of taking the covers on and off. The chatter is something I am willing to deal with.

I don't see the point. I would likely lose them anyway and just want to grab my club and swing.

Not for me, thats just a personal choice. To be honest if the woods and putter could be uncovered the whole round without being damaged I would do that as well.

Ugly and I have a hard enough time keeping track of my putter cover, wood covers and altitude covers.

No I still would not use them. I like the chatter on my irons. Also honestly I don't want to be bothered pulling it in and off each shot.

I don't think woods are a fair comparison as they are painted and will chip. Also because of the construction can dent much easier than irons.

Everyone has their own thing. I have seen some iron covers that look pretty good and have no problem with then but it is just not for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I had them once..too cumbersome.

Lo and behold I found these gorgeous things!?

No thank you! LOL

But hey if you like them, by all means go head and use them. They'll prevent your clubs from getting normal wear and tear ding marks (aka the bag chatter you mentioned). But honestly tho, bag chatter is going to happen and your clubs are going to get dinged up, it just happens and it's part of the game.

Enjoy your new Apex irons!

I use them occasionally but it usually turns out to be a pain in the ass. Taking them on and off while people behind you wait, gets old

I wouldn't use them. I love my Seamus head covers but wouldn't use them on my irons if they ever became available.

Why though? My reason was because I never felt I needed them and I couldn't find a cover I liked. If you found a cover that you liked would you still not use them? If so why do you put covers on woods/hybrids (assuming of course that you do).

Its two fold.
1. I play far too fast to worry about the covers.
2. Moisture can dirt can and does get trapped.

Because I dont think they look good? I would rather actually see my irons in my bag and not have them covered up.

I wont ever find a set I like because I think they are annoying and ugly to be frank

I think they just become a nuisance. I had some many years ago, just not my cup of tea

I use them. They're not a big deal to me, it takes about 2 seconds to take one off and put it on again, and I want my irons to stay in good shape. Plus I'm weird and the club clicking sound when I'm carrying drives me nuts haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Also I don't know where you play but occasionally we may get some rocks under the fairway or off in the woods or something ;) that makes a nice little mark on the irons. So why bother worrying about chatter when you could get a nice mark the next time you swing

I do think they slow down play as well but that is another thing altogether

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'd lose some. 100% chance of it.
Other than that, I don't sweat iron covers because...I play on a goat track. It pains me to say it, but it is. We have dirt, rocks, sticks everywhere. Add to that my tendency to dig, and head covers would be closing the barn door after all the critters have fled.

My irons get beat up. That's what they're for. I hit them on things, ideally grass but occasionally something else, and a little chatter is the least of my concerns.

I would lose them. Chatter happens...

JM

How else will people know how much I spent on my clubs?

I use them. They're not a big deal to me, it takes about 2 seconds to take one off and put it on again, and I want my irons to stay in good shape. Plus I'm weird and the club clicking sound when I'm carrying drives me nuts haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
I use them and agree with SBG's post. Now that I started using a push cart, I have a 14 way top bag which would likely reduce the chatter. Planning on getting fitted for new irons next year so going to keep using them on my current forged irons to keep the chatter away and resale value up.

Compared to a lot of people on here I have a pretty old set of irons (Ping i3 if you can't see my sig) but I still use iron covers when transporting my clubs, and then take them off when I get to the course

Driver and fairway covers stay on my clubs during the round

I use them, but I am considering pulling them. Half my bag are woods/hybrids so those have to stay. And I have been known to drop a head cover now and then. I may give it a try the next round and see what I think.

I used to use them, but it's such a pain to pull them off and put them back on. I did love them for traveling and general storage though. I need a new set for travel, just need them big enough to fit GI Irons.

Back