Key West Golf Club

GoIrish17

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone. I'm going on vacation in two weeks to Miami/ Key West, and I always like to bring the back up bag along and get a round in while I'm traveling. So, I booked a tee time for myself at the Key West Golf Club. I figure it will at least be a fun to say I got a round in down there, even though I'm sure it's going to be hot and humid, but I've always done much better in heat than cold. If I'm going to complain about the weather all winter long up here in Northeast Ohio, the last thing I'm going to do is complain about being too hot in summer.

Has anyone played here before? What can I expect? I've read some online reviews that maybe made me think it might not be the most pristine course (especially at $70), but it's the only option so it is what it is. I will have to throw my camera in the bag- I'm sure at the very least I can get some nice pictures. I'm wondering what type of turf I'm going to run into- firm and tight or soft and lush (trying to decide what wedges to bring along- don't want to have the high bounce wedges and show up to play on hard pan). Like I said, I'm sneaking out while the old lady soaks up some rays on the beach, so driving too far isn't really an option. Just trying to sneak in 18 holes while on vaca. So, if the only input is that the course is crappy, or it's gonna be hot and muggy, save the Debbie Downer- I gots no other choices! Beyond that, anyone have any experiences to share, or even better yet is anyone going to be down there that wants to play? I'm booked as a single Thurs., July 24 at 09:52.

I actually had a time booked to play there last May when I was down there for a wedding. Unfortunately they had a crazy 5 inch rain storm the day of and I didn't get out to play. I did get to see it from the road and clubhouse and can tell you it is on the expensive side and that's not for conditions and layout. It's because it's the only course there and you have to pay if you want to play. From what I saw it's more like a $35-$40 course here in Chicago but I'm sure it'll still be worth getting out there! It looked pretty lush and green and seemed like normal florida conditions. I doubt there will be a ton of hardpan. I still hope to give it a go if I ever get back down there. Certainly let us know how it went.

Yep, definitely want to get a bunch of pictures and maybe do a little recap here. Who knows, maybe it's a track worth checking out on someone's next trip down there, or I can save someone $70.

Enjoy yourself. Bring sun screen and play earlier in the day to avoid the afternoon showers.
Its known as pretty average, but its still playing golf on Key West. They can charge whatever they want to based on being the only game in town.

Keep in mind going off conditions, people are quick to forget that this is the off season for us in FL, so call ahead about maintenance. That could be why DH saw what he saw from the road. That would be the beginning of maintenance season when he saw it.

All good points, thanks for the input! I hope my 9:52 tee time is early enough to avoid the afternoon showers- I have a feeling I should be done in plenty of time, but could be cutting it close!

All good points, thanks for the input! I hope my 9:52 tee time is early enough to avoid the afternoon showers- I have a feeling I should be done in plenty of time, but could be cutting it close!

If you see weather like we have up the west coast of FL, you will be fine. Seeing 45 minute showers each day at about 4 pm. Gone by 5 or so.

Who knows, by that time of the day a little afternoon shower might be a welcome relief to a northerner!

Who knows, by that time of the day a little afternoon shower might be a welcome relief to a northerner!

You got that right brother...Especially where you are headed. It is HOT in S. FL.

I actually did play there several years ago. I agree that it is a little expensive for the conditions and layout but playing golf in Key West is still something to remember.

As JB said it is off season so conditions may not be the best but I suspect they keep it up pretty well to keep the guests coming. The turf, if I remember, is on the firm side but sandy (duh) so a lot of bounce is probably not needed.

Key West is a totally different world weather wise for the most part. IIRC this course is the one on the military base down there. I didn't have the chance to play it during my times down there but it looked ok from what I saw. Enjoy key west, it's one of my favorite parts of the globe

Back