Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out early today. Went 46/51 for a 97 on the home track. 5/14 FIR, 2/18 GIR and 34 putts. Really drove the ball nicely today, missed the fairway by a touch on a couple of holes but distance was excellent off the tee. Consistently was in the 245-270 range with good tempo and an easy swing which I was thrilled with. Unfortunately I did not take advantage of it as my iron play and approach shots were atrocious. Short game was solid today, several good chips and pitches and putting was adequate. Did have a couple 1 putt pars so I can't complain. Rolled my SeeMore FGP project putter for the first time today and enjoyed that.

If I focus and drop the two quads I suffered on the back 9 out of the picture I am looking at being able to break 90 soon. Hopefully I can hone in on that in the next few weeks. I feel a lot closer now than I did a year ago.

7am tee off on our home course. 50 out 50 in. 2 Pars, 8 Bogies, 4 Doubles and 4 Triples. Played off the Yellows at 6100 Yards and somehow managed to hit 4 GIR's. 2 Lost balls in various bits of water.

I'm trying to change my mental approach instead of beating myself up and getting angry when I duff the ball I've now got myself into a routine. Only think about the shot I am about to take, visualise where I want it to land, pick a spot 2 - 3 feet in front of the ball to line myself up on, 1 practice swing, step up to the ball align myself, look where I want it to go and just relax and swing. This seems to be working. If I duff it, I just walk up to the ball repeat the process and carry on. Both caddies this morning mentioned they have never seen me hit my driver and irons so well playing there. I am also just going driver then a 6 or 7 iron invariably that leaves me short of the greens but Im gaining more confidence with my wedges to hit the greens, just pick a spot in the middle of the green, relax, swing and there it goes.

Unfortunately I am back to work for 4 weeks in 9 days time, so I think I might manage 3 more rounds before then. Once I am at work hopefully there is a range close by.

Played The Pointe Golf Club (on the mainland just before the Outer Banks of NC) for the first time today. Shot a 96 (33 putts with 1 three-putt due to a horrible read). Not the toughest course (6200 yds), but this is the type of course that formerly chewed me up: hot, humid conditions, unfamiliar layout, playing with my looong-hitting brother-in-law, and Bermuda fairways, etc. Instead, I birdied the first hole (par five) and generally played well en route to a 46 on the front nine. Three shots OB on the back led to a 50, but I feel like I'll be able to keep this up. Normally I feel fried after 18, but I ran 4 miles in the morning & still felt strong after the 18 were through.

Today was definitely a tale of two 9's for me... 47/63 :angry: I blew up the first hole with an 8, a dog leg par 5, but quickly recovered with a nice string of pars and bogeys. Every shot I hit felt perfect... Then on 12, the train started going off the tracks... I carded 4 snowmen and a 9 on the last 7 holes.

On the bright side, I do actually know how to choose and execute good shots, something I haven't really been able to string together with any consistency.

On the "needs work" side, I have to work on endurance and staying fit enough to make it through 18 without running out of gas.

Went 50/53 for a 103 yesterday on the home track. Driver and putting were nowhere to be found. Otherwise it wasn't that bad; had a few great iron shots to give myself a chance. Par'd #'s 3 & 5 for the first time this year. Need to get out and practice this week.

Got out early this morning. Went 49/47 for a 96. 2/14 FW, 3/18 GIR and 34 putts. Was a bit loose off the tee but i made it work. Left a lot opportunities out there but I stayed even keeled which was good. Putting was decent today which helped.

Going forward I'll start posting in the breaking 90 thread as that's my goal for the season and I'm getting close to breaking through, but I'll still check in here regularly.

I'm pretty new to golf and normally shoot somewhere around 3 figures per round. My first goal in golf is a streak of 10 rounds breaking 100 before pushing on towards the 90 mark.

I had a disaster yesterday though, 110 for the round with a 12 on the 18th (a little par 3!!) pushed my tee shot into the water to the right, overcompensated with the reload and pulled it left into the rough, pitched out but it stayed in the thick stuff and couldn't be found, back to that spot for a drop, thinned the next shot which flew into the water, drop from there, pitch and 2 putt, terrible finish!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After breaking 100 in 3 of last 6 rounds (96, 99, 99, 100, 100, 103) on mostly unfamiliar courses, I thought I had arrived. Lo and behold I go into a funk. 115, 110, 108. That sucked.

After self evaluation, I realized that I haven't spent nearly enough time at the range. I was just playing and often with no warmup.

Went back to the basics Saturday morning. Over 3 hour range session to replace my normal round. Almost 2 hours on the full swing (5-PW). Did not touch the driver or hybrids.30 minutes putting, 45+ mins chipping and pitching. Started off horribly with fat shots galore. Wanted to concentrate on solid contact and reduced flipping. Going for another hour to see if anything stuck.

Btw. I bought a 6i blade to help focus on better contact and swing mechanics. It won't lie to me as much as my current set. Any one tried such an approach?

My last rounds have been a 105 and 106. I haven't seen the 90's since my Pb 97 a fee months ago. I feel good though that my average is in the low 100's. When I first started frequenting this site 5-6 months ago I was in the 110-120 range. Some things clicked yesterday in my short game. I will try and get out again tomorrow morning.

My last rounds have been 104 and 100. It's funny now that I am driving better/longer and hitting greens in two my putting has fallen apart, which has shot me back into the 100's.

50/51 on Saturday, but I'm happy with that. It was a new course, so to shoot that low on an unfamiliar track was good. The putter was performing well, and I hit a ton of fairways (only missed one on the back nine), but the short game was killing me. All greenside bunkers saw me get out of the sand but still stuck in the rough, and I came up short several times on full swings with my wedges ... I need to get that dialed in a bit better. If I had I would have broken 100 no sweat. I'm chalking it up to lack of experience for now ... but have to hit the short game practice areas hard in the next couple of months. One thing I was excited about ... no snowmen (but did have three triple bogeys).

The swing change seemed to work well this weekend. I only topped a couple of balls (immediately after a rain delay), and did a pretty good job off the tee (usually my nemesis) so as long as I am mindful of my tempo, I think I'll be good. Still wish I was longer with all of my clubs, but that will come eventually (so they tell me).

Your ready to break out Tom! I can feel it!

Soon you'll be saying goodbye to triple digits forever!

The swing change seemed to work well this weekend. I only topped a couple of balls (immediately after a rain delay), and did a pretty good job off the tee (usually my nemesis) so as long as I am mindful of my tempo, I think I'll be good. Still wish I was longer with all of my clubs, but that will come eventually (so they tell me).

I have a similar struggle. I tend to top or hit a few fat shots per round. Trying to get those out the game. It's almost always tempo related.

Tempo affects distance as well. I tend to shorten the swing and try to swing harder when tempo is off. In reality, smooth tempo leads to better compression and more solid contact.

Ugh. . Shot a 52/55 for a 107 on Friday on the first time for this particular course this year. Went from 40 putts my last game for a 103 to 32 putts this time. No 3-putts this time out. However, I seemed to have lost consistency with my driver and forgot how to chip. I must have chipped 4 times last week in my yard. Yet, could I transfer that to the course where it matters? Nope. Oh well. The weather was perfect and still had a great time. This particular course had tight fairways which wasn't too forgiving. I think if I had a few more decent drives and remembered how to chip, I would have been a lot closer to 100.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I made a couplle of minor changes to my grip, and warmed up using my Orange Whip exercises at the first tee, & went out this morning & shot a personal best 93! And it should've been lower! I was hitting everything much longer & missed 2 par threes long & ended up having to punch out from under pine trees , so essentially hit two really solid shots that went right at the pin & ended up with a 5 & a 6 because I was stymied under the bushes. Just a huge, huge breakthrough for me:

9/14 fairways hit (and all with a nice draw that was about 30 yards farther than my typical drive). Best of the day: I drew my longest drive (250-ish?) and ended up 140 yards on the #1 handicap hole (dogleg left - the equivalent of a 300 yard drive because I cut the corner. I have never done this before, but today I hit it right where I was aiming all day!)

2 GIR, but 7 "Near GIR", NGIR defined as being within 10 yards of the green (but not in a trap or in trouble) and with a good chance of getting up & down. My chipping & pitching from 50 yards & in was very good - I stopped the ball within 6 feet multiple times!

5 pars and putts for par on 6 other holes (I was using a new putter, so I expect some of these would drop otherwise).

And...drumroll please...I beat my father-in-law for the first time (even with him using multiple mulligans)!

Man...golf is fun when you can hit it straight & long!

Shot a 44/44 88 this morning but it was a Par 60 course. 88/60*72= 105.6 ... is that good math? Regardless, I shot my irons pretty well and had two stellar drives. I did however 3 putt all 3 of my birdie opportunities, had a 3 pitch catastrophe and lost a club on the course (no idea what happened to my 19* hybrid). Going back tomorrow and hopefully will do better! Irons were very good the back 9 but the putting just didnt help me out. The new Smart Sole C WardF sold me to go with the S definitely helped me out in the short game. Out of the sand all 3 times I was in.

Shot a 44/44 88 this morning but it was a Par 60 course. 88/60*72= 105.6 ... is that good math? Regardless, I shot my irons pretty well and had two stellar drives. I did however 3 putt all 3 of my birdie opportunities, had a 3 pitch catastrophe and lost a club on the course (no idea what happened to my 19* hybrid). Going back tomorrow and hopefully will do better! Irons were very good the back 9 but the putting just didnt help me out. The new Smart Sole C WardF sold me to go with the S definitely helped me out in the short game. Out of the sand all 3 times I was in.
You're making your math too complicated :)

88 is +28 on a par 60 course. So on a par 70 that'd be a 98. Or an even 100 on a par 72.

Shot 50 on a 9 hole course today, feel pretty good about it. :)

48/51 for a 99. Had three triple bogeys and a quad. I hate the blowup holes. Four pars helped keep me on track. If I can avoid the mistakes and the two penalties I am in good shape. Again I couldn't get off the tee, and it is pissin me off. Almost a mental issue at this point. Not bad, shooting a 99 though when about five of my tee shots went less than 75 yards.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

You're making your math too complicated :)

88 is +28 on a par 60 course. So on a par 70 that'd be a 98. Or an even 100 on a par 72.

I think coach was closer with his estimation. However, using his math, I come up with 102.7 for par 70. The reason I don't think you can just add +28 to a par 70 round is the same reason you can't just shoot an 80 on a par 3 course that's 54 total strokes and extrapolate that to a 96 score on a par 70 course. That's double bogey golf, which would equate to about a 106. Going from 88/60 to 98/70 is basically adding 3 par 4 holes and shooting par for them.
Anyways, just my 2 cents.

I shot a 55/50 for a 105 on a new course yesterday. I had a 42 after 8 on the back 9, but blew up 18 for a 8 on a par 4.
Had a few awesome drives, a 20 foot birdie putt and 3 blowup holes. Only had one par. The rest of the holes were just trying to make more good shots than bad. Had 35 putts with three 3-putts.
Three penalties caused by OB, far edge of water and a lost ball that was in bounds...somewhere.
All in all, pretty good day.
Need to correct some iron shots going rogue to the right which (should be) easily correctable and to get more consistency on my drives.

Shot 50 on a 9 hole course today, feel pretty good about it. :)

Good job! Every time I shoot a 50, I feel good about it as well..except when I had a legitimate chance at 40's for the first time and blow it on the last hole.

Does a 97 on a Par 66 count? probably not, but prob my best round. only two 3 putts! Too many 6's on the par 3's. squandered a few birdie opportunities but definitely some positives to take away.

I think coach was closer with his estimation. However, using his math, I come up with 102.7 for par 70. The reason I don't think you can just add +28 to a par 70 round is the same reason you can't just shoot an 80 on a par 3 course that's 54 total strokes and extrapolate that to a 96 score on a par 70 course. That's double bogey golf, which would equate to about a 106. Going from 88/60 to 98/70 is basically adding 3 par 4 holes and shooting par for them.
Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Hmm I was going off how handicaps are calculated. If the slope of a par 70 course is similar to the par 60 course, then the total over par would carry over. And I think dbl bogey golf on a par 54 course would be 90?

My thinking is that if I shot at 88 on par 60 I was taking about 1.46 shots for every shot of par. Can't add the over par because that is assuming that I would have shot 12 additional perfect shots when I know that was not going to happen.

Same course as yesterday. 88 again (43/45) but the course played alot harder because the white tees were practically by the blue tees. Driver was terrible today and the lack of my 19* hybrid really hurt me. My driver is 15* so no 3 wood or 2 hybrid created a huge gap in my bag. I'm going to have think about getting something to replace it asap. Putted really well. Played with the high school band director when I graduated which was interesting. He looks like he's looking retirement. If I could hit more fairways and putt the way that I putted today I got this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back