The Golfboard - a new way to "ride".

I'm in the camp that courses won't let this out, I can just see people turning the course into a skate park and causing some damage to the course, cool product just not practical.

I'm in the camp that courses won't let this out, I can just see people turning the course into a skate park and causing some damage to the course, cool product just not practical.

I bet people said the same thing about golf carts many moons ago ;)

I think it has potential. The same speed benefits of walking *and* riding combined. I usually prefer to walk for exercise, but sometimes I just don't feel up to it. Riding on a cart-path-only or 90-degree-rule day takes longer than walking. The light weight of this would prevent damage to the course on wet days but still allow each golfer to go straight to his own ball. We'll see if courses start allowing them.

I'm looking forward to the seeing the first Darwin Award candidate to utilize the board as his creative medium. I've seen a few guys try to qualify on traditional carts. The freedom and temptation provided by the board could finally put a golfer on top!

Really thinking hard about pulling the trigger.

Need to see if our club pro would care. I assume not. He was at the PGA show and I'm sure he got to check it out.

Man this thing just doesn't seem practical to me, and I even used to be a skateboarder....

I feel the opposite. It would be so cool to "ride" a golf course.

Hoping to pull the trigger on a golfboard in the next 2-3 months. Super excited.

I will have one of these if the cost comes down!!

We have a course that has a couple for rent, I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

Would be interested to try it out...

Used a Segway for golf at Kierland Resort in AZ. Coolest way to play 18 holes...not sure I would do it all the time, but lots of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would be interested to try it out...

Used a Segway for golf at Kierland Resort in AZ. Coolest way to play 18 holes...not sure I would do it all the time, but lots of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried them ... I had a hard time with them ... but it was fun trying them out ...

I saw somewhere a thing call the turf chopper ... that look cool, and more my style ...

I wanted to rip this idea a new one, I honestly did. But its brilliant. Its compact, seems easy on turf and it looks like fun, especially because I skated for years. My only gripe is its very age dependent, I would have 911 ready on my phone if I saw an octogenarian try to get on one.

So since it was brought up in another thread, I did try one in Scottsdale and paid the $30 extra to use one. However after the mandatory training, I opted for a cart. Its turning radius was horrible and the coolness factor wore off even before the training was over. Sure enough another guy I was playing with said the same thing that after about 5 holes, he was ready to return it.

I like the concept and they are neat but need some work from a comfort and maneuverability standpoint. I can understand that the turning issue is more than likely due to the fact that they are designed to not flip due to quick turns, but it makes the experience sluggish.

So got on this today and I had fun. Let me say that it was a workout riding it. Your legs will burn and it will test your core strength. I took this thing everywhere, up and down hills, over tree roots and put it through it's paces. You really have to lean into it to turn and after a few holes I had it down no problem. Starting cutting back and forth carving like I was on a wave. I made sure to look back in the fairway and you could not even see where I had been. My only downfall is that I wish it was faster. I will say that this would not be for everyone as I know many of playing partners that could not be able to ride it for 18. You need to be in good shape if you are really going to have fun with this.

Got to ride on one of these for 18 holes yesterday, and it was a pretty interesting experience. First off, I had to go through manual training and I thought the idea was stupid, until I got on the board and realized how unstable I was to begin with. If you're experienced at boarding (surf, skate, snow), it will likely be easy for you to pick this up, but I wasn't. The first few holes had a fairly steep learning curve, but then you kind of settle in and get the hang of it. I wasn't prepared for how much work it actually was to use it either. It was manageable, but you really do have to throw your body into it to turn.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and I'm glad I did it once and if it were the same price as a cart, I'd probably do it again, but I paid $15 extra for the experience and I don't think there's that much value added. The board had almost no storage save a bike-style water bottle holder, as you would expect, so if you want to bring anything (including a score card), it has to go in or hang off your bag. As WuBears mentioned, the turning radius is not great, to the point I had to do a 3 point turn on a normal turnaround that golf carts use without issue. The speed for me was fine because I was a little unstable, and going down some hills it did get fast for me, but I can see after some time wanting it to go faster. I also used this on a course with a lot of hills, and that freaked me out a little, but I can see turning one of these loose on a slightly flatter track and having a ton of fun with it.

To recap: it's fun, especially to do once, but I wouldn't pay extra to do it again.

d83914119ea888f1a013e5dca8a54f6f.jpg

Got to ride on one of these for 18 holes yesterday, and it was a pretty interesting experience. First off, I had to go through manual training and I thought the idea was stupid, until I got on the board and realized how unstable I was to begin with. If you're experienced at boarding (surf, skate, snow), it will likely be easy for you to pick this up, but I wasn't. The first few holes had a fairly steep learning curve, but then you kind of settle in and get the hang of it. I wasn't prepared for how much work it actually was to use it either. It was manageable, but you really do have to throw your body into it to turn.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and I'm glad I did it once and if it were the same price as a cart, I'd probably do it again, but I paid $15 extra for the experience and I don't think there's that much value added. The board had almost no storage save a bike-style water bottle holder, as you would expect, so if you want to bring anything (including a score card), it has to go in or hang off your bag. As WuBears mentioned, the turning radius is not great, to the point I had to do a 3 point turn on a normal turnaround that golf carts use without issue. The speed for me was fine because I was a little unstable, and going down some hills it did get fast for me, but I can see after some time wanting it to go faster. I also used this on a course with a lot of hills, and that freaked me out a little, but I can see turning one of these loose on a slightly flatter track and having a ton of fun with it.

To recap: it's fun, especially to do once, but I wouldn't pay extra to do it again.

d83914119ea888f1a013e5dca8a54f6f.jpg
That looks like a lot of fun, awesome feedback. Seems like they definitely need to have more storage to compete with carts especially if they cost more to rent. Looks fun though regardless! I don't know of any course near me that even has them.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I am playing at a course down in the Naples area next weekend, and our host asked us if we wanted to rent these. I was intrigued, but in reading this thread, I will have to pass. I think down the road, if my goal/plan to live on or adjacent to a club that I'm a member at, this might be something cool to own because I could get used to it, become comfortable riding it, etc. Not exclusively in lieu of a traditional cart, but an option.

Back