When it comes to clubs from Ebay i should know better

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
I had been playing Epons for 6-7 years, and as much as i love them i knew they did not have the forgiveness to help me out on those off days. I also knew that irons have come leaps and bounds in the last 7 years or so, so i started looking around.

I am a used club kind of guy, i only paid what i paid for my "New" Epons was because of a insurance settlement. I came across the Adams CB3s and liked everything i heard about them, and picked up a like new set set on Ebay for 170.00. The seller said they were bent 2 degrees flat, and i have played with them for the past 4 months thinking as such.

I also started a string of 6 lessons the first being two weeks ago, and after the first lesson my teacher said, let's hold off on the irons this time and let's get them looked at first. So we did and worked on my woods first lesson, and then Saturday my teacher calls me and gets me set up with the club fitter.

I took a few swings on a lie board, and Mike who is the club fitter, then placed some lie tape, and 3 more swings and we saw everything was way out on the toe. He bent the 7 iron 4 degrees up right from where it was, took a few more swings and the feel, sound was night and day and everything was dead middle on the new tape. So he adjusted my set and my wedges to all be in line with each other, and he also said the KBS tour 90 stiff shaft was most likely a bit weak for me, on the lie tape even after lie adjustment he felt contact was a bit too far back from the leading edge.

well i went back out to the range with my newly adjusted irons, and while i only got through my 4 wedges (58,54,50,45) the difference was amazing. Cleaner contact, distance increases, and direction was spot on, everything felt so much easier i laughed to myself that i did not get these looked at ASAP.

I had been playing Epons for 6-7 years, and as much as i love them i knew they did not have the forgiveness to help me out on those off days. I also knew that irons have come leaps and bounds in the last 7 years or so, so i started looking around.

I am a used club kind of guy, i only paid what i paid for my "New" Epons was because of a insurance settlement. I came across the Adams CB3s and liked everything i heard about them, and picked up a like new set set on Ebay for 170.00. The seller said they were bent 2 degrees flat, and i have played with them for the past 4 months thinking as such.

I also started a string of 6 lessons the first being two weeks ago, and after the first lesson my teacher said, let's hold off on the irons this time and let's get them looked at first. So we did and worked on my woods first lesson, and then Saturday my teacher calls me and gets me set up with the club fitter.

I took a few swings on a lie board, and Mike who is the club fitter, then placed some lie tape, and 3 more swings and we saw everything was way out on the toe. He bent the 7 iron 4 degrees up right from where it was, took a few more swings and the feel, sound was night and day and everything was dead middle on the new tape. So he adjusted my set and my wedges to all be in line with each other, and he also said the KBS tour 90 stiff shaft was most likely a bit weak for me, on the lie tape even after lie adjustment he felt contact was a bit too far back from the leading edge.

well i went back out to the range with my newly adjusted irons, and while i only got through my 4 wedges (58,54,50,45) the difference was amazing. Cleaner contact, distance increases, and direction was spot on, everything felt so much easier i laughed to myself that i did not get these looked at ASAP.

Oh well lesson learned. Same thing happened to me. Now the first thing I do with any new to me set is head to the local club builder and have the lofts and lies adjusted.

I had a THPer that was awesome enough to give me a set of clubs about 3 years ago and when I had the lofts and lies checked the 3 iron was 17*!

I also think i compensated a bit and changed my angle of attack to a little falter than i should when getting used to the CB3, because as far out of spec that they were i was still able to produce some solid shots over the last 4 months. I have three rounds of golf coming up this weekend, so i plan to spend tonight and Wednesday on the range seeing how the new set up works.

I also think i compensated a bit and changed my angle of attack to a little falter than i should when getting used to the CB3, because as far out of spec that they were i was still able to produce some solid shots over the last 4 months. I have three rounds of golf coming up this weekend, so i plan to spend tonight and Wednesday on the range seeing how the new set up works.

Happy for you dude even from a mental standpoint its so reassuring knowing your clubs are perfect for you.

Light em up bro.

By the title I thought that you had bought some counterfeits or something! Loft and lie are the first thing that I check on a set of clubs no matter where they are coming from. My current set came off of the Titleist Tour truck and I still put them in the loft and lie machine to check the specs. At least it was a simple fix and not something that was going to cost you an arm and a leg.

By the title I thought that you had bought some counterfeits or something! Loft and lie are the first thing that I check on a set of clubs no matter where they are coming from. My current set came off of the Titleist Tour truck and I still put them in the loft and lie machine to check the specs. At least it was a simple fix and not something that was going to cost you an arm and a leg.

I usually do have any new clubs to me checked, and even my epons i had the loft & lie checked before every season because how soft they are, I've been playing for about 15 years and i know better, just this time i let it slip. Will be interesting in about a month to see how the characteristics of my iron play change.

Yep, the right lie angle makes a pretty big difference, and it's very cheap to have done. No reason not to!

Oh and I just did the same as you and picked up a set of CB3's off eBay, they get here Wednesday and I'm super excited!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Glad it has turned into a positive!

Yep, the right lie angle makes a pretty big difference, and it's very cheap to have done. No reason not to!

Oh and I just did the same as you and picked up a set of CB3's off eBay, they get here Wednesday and I'm super excited!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

let me know your thoughts on the CB3s, i liked them even when my specs were off, and looking forward to seeing what the 9 on down will be like this week on the range and then on the course.

I admit i am still looking at the Apex, AP1, and i25 irons and trying to demo all of them and one may get me to game them, but if i see the improvement in all my irons that i saw with the wedges i will be happy to keep them as a back up. Or call me crazy maybe the other won;t prove to be any better, we will see.

Back