Miyazaki Kusala Black R vs S advice

Cats04

Reaction score
Handicap
7.8 GHIN
Ok folks....not sure if anyone is still gaming the Kusala Series. I really love the 61S Silver I have in my 913 but I could use a little more roll out...I'm not a long hitter. I've messed around with a Kusala Black in Stiff (was a pull from a Classic) and one in a Classic. I love the feel but I think it might be a little strong for me..lower 90's swing speed but with a quick transition. So really two questions...if anyone was gaming a Kusala Silver or Black and have moved on to something similar but that they feel was better, what are you swinging now? Secondly, will I be able to feel much of a different from the stiff to reg in the Black? I have a PING Answer 10.5 head looking for a shaft.

Thanks!

The Black is an incredibly unique shaft in that it is super soft in the hand section and stiff in the tip to potentially lower ball flight. Depending on the player, I would test both in the same head numerous times, because many amateurs will not see the drastic change they expect going from softer tip to stiffer tip and expect multiple degrees of launch change.

You might want to check out the Kusala Indigo - it's designed for quick transitions according to Miyazaki's web site and will offer slightly higher launch than the Black but definitely lower than the Silver.
I stuck this in my Classic 9* and it's beautiful, both aesthetically and in function. It delivers a piercing, mid-trajectory with nice amount of roll.
FWIW, my swing speed is also mid 90's and I have a quick transition as well.

good luck!

Thanks for the information guys. I've been pondering the Indigo for a while but have not been able to pull the trigger...I was concerned about it feeling boardy due to the flex being the same across the board. Maybe I will try one in a regular flex - still thinking about grabbing a white for a fairway wood! Two birds!

Thanks for the information guys. I've been pondering the Indigo for a while but have not been able to pull the trigger...I was concerned about it feeling boardy due to the flex being the same across the board. Maybe I will try one in a regular flex - still thinking about grabbing a white for a fairway wood! Two birds!

I found the Indigo extremely similar to the Blue.
I believe one is 5555 and the other is 5544. For me, and I test a lot of shafts, over time I could not tell much of a difference in both feel and launch monitor flights. YMMV.

Thanks JB - I've always stayed away from the blue because I was never a big fan of the actual blueboard for some reason. (I've been told they are similar but I should probably give it a try).

I had a Kusala White 61S I picked up on fleabay cut down to 42.5 inches and loaded into a Ping G25 3 wood head and basically ruined it, the thing launched like a 7 iron - (maybe it was how the shaft was tipped previously by the PO and then again by my club wrencher to remove the driver adapter) but at least that was my experience. It felt so freakishly light and weird. I'm not sure these shafts are gonna work in fw woods like the do in drivers but as JB notes below maybe it will.

Even the C.Kua 59S I put in my G25 17 hybrid felt really weird and light (but stiff), couldn't get used to it.

Last edited:
Ironically they do really well in FW woods for a lot of guys. Watched a few tour players hit the Silver and White in their 3 woods earlier this year on the range. Truly will be player dependent I have a feeling.

I love the flight I get with the White Tie in my 3 wood...I imagine the Kusala White is just a better feeling and looking version of that.
In my drivers they perform near identical but the Kusala White feels magical for a tip soft shaft.

I was thinking of going to for the heavier 3 wood shaft.....prob the 72 version over the 61. I felt like the white 61s might be a touch light in the fairway wood.

Back