Western New York, Albany, Syracuse, Northwest Pennsylvania & surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice, I will be sure let you know how the conditions are. I'll take some pics too.

Be interested to hear how you like that course(Fairways). It is 3 minutes from my apartment and you will see where I went to high school when you play the 4th and 5th hole.

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure let you know how the conditions are. I'll take some pics too.

Be interested to hear how you like that course(Fairways). It is 3 minutes from my apartment and you will see where I went to high school when you play the 4th and 5th hole.
I can't say with 100% certainty that I haven't hit Dean's high school with a golf ball. Definitely a bus.

I can't say with 100% certainty that I haven't hit Dean's high school with a golf ball. Definitely a bus.

I can't make any of those promises either. I also can't promise that when I was in HS I would hit shots from the school field and try to knock it on the 5th green.

I am hoping to be around Labor Day for a few days. That is the first course I want to play when I am home.

The course is in good shape. Greens were fast, even with all the rain.

Better play it this year though. I heard it's going to auction after the season.

Better play it this year though. I heard it's going to auction after the season.
Ugh really? That makes me sad.

I heard an ugly rumor that a course here was recently sold (Eagle Crest) and will be redeveloped.

Again? They went through that a year ago, although that time it was a strategic move by Krony to oust a co-owner. Considering the location of the course though, this doesn't surprise me.

A course near my house that I used to like playing (have my personal best there), but has really gone downhill in the last few years, just got sold. It had a write up in the Lockport paper explaining what rough shape it was in. The greens were a mess and that is the first thing they're going to address. Just curious how long do you think it will take to pretty much rehab all the greens on an 18 hole course before they're playable again?

A course near my house that I used to like playing (have my personal best there), but has really gone downhill in the last few years, just got sold. It had a write up in the Lockport paper explaining what rough shape it was in. The greens were a mess and that is the first thing they're going to address. Just curious how long do you think it will take to pretty much rehab all the greens on an 18 hole course before they're playable again?
I'm almost positive that a local Country Club here (Shaker Ridge) replaced all 18 greens due to a fungus/parasite (one of those two) over one offseason. I have not played the course since, but hear the new greens are immaculate. I'm not sure that rehab would be quicker or slower than replacing.....

Found an article on their website about it. This sounds way faster than rehabbing.....

http://www.shakerridge.com/pdf/Capital Area Golf Article.pdf

I thought the Fairways of Halfmoon was great. There greens were quick, which I prefer, and some sneaky breakers in there. We finished - 10, winner was at - 11. Oh well, it was a great time. My only complaint was it was a bit short, although we had to play from whites for the tourney. They also seemed strict with their cart policy (cart paths only) but the Fairways were in great shape.

That's funny you said that because I was playing with my girlfriends father and he pointed out the high school that was adjacent to one hole.

That one par 3 was crazy haha downhill, played like 2-3 clubs shorter! I really liked the hole that was next to the trains.

My home course was in real rough shape for a few years. Guy couldn't understand what was going with the greens. They had some kind of fungus to them. Anyway, new greenskeeper got in last year, dug out all of those areas, cut down a bunch of trees, and re sodded. Some took initially, some didn't. Anyway this is the 2nd year under this guy and the course hasn't looked this good in a decade. Its in really good shape.

I thought the Fairways of Halfmoon was great. There greens were quick, which I prefer, and some sneaky breakers in there. We finished - 10, winner was at - 11. Oh well, it was a great time. My only complaint was it was a bit short, although we had to play from whites for the tourney. They also seemed strict with their cart policy (cart paths only) but the Fairways were in great shape.

That's funny you said that because I was playing with my girlfriends father and he pointed out the high school that was adjacent to one hole.

That one par 3 was crazy haha downhill, played like 2-3 clubs shorter! I really liked the hole that was next to the trains.

Funny you mention the trains. When the course was built(late 90s), that train yard wasn't there. So the layout ran a touch more to the right and it was OB after that. Come to find out some of that hole was built on that other property, so now you see the train yard and a fence.

Certainly some fun holes on that layout. Greens have been really good this year.

I'm almost positive that a local Country Club here (Shaker Ridge) replaced all 18 greens due to a fungus/parasite (one of those two) over one offseason. I have not played the course since, but hear the new greens are immaculate. I'm not sure that rehab would be quicker or slower than replacing.....
I know I'm from Boston, but yes that was Shaker Ridge CC and yes that course is immaculate!! Played it earlier this year. Absolutely beautiful

Funny you mention the trains. When the course was built(late 90s), that train yard wasn't there. So the layout ran a touch more to the right and it was OB after that. Come to find out some of that hole was built on that other property, so now you see the train yard and a fence.

Certainly some fun holes on that layout. Greens have been really good this year.
Oh wow that's interesting. Ya I thought they were some of the best greens I've played on all year. I'll tell ya though, they were damn hard to hold! Approaches and around the green you really had to account for roll out, unless you landed your shots softly.

Oh wow that's interesting. Ya I thought they were some of the best greens I've played on all year. I'll tell ya though, they were damn hard to hold! Approaches and around the green you really had to account for roll out, unless you landed your shots softly.

And they have softened up over the years. When the wind blows on that course it can be brutal.

This sounds frighteningly familiar. I've hit everything from an 8 iron to a GW on that downhill par 3...and RARELY hit it in regulation. I'm usually either in the rocks short and right; or in the trees on the fly off the back. The 14th hole is my favorite on the course (by the trains). I'm not sure I've EVER missed that fairway. There's just something about the way it fits my eye and shot shape--especially now that the trees ddec mentioned down the right are gone. However, I'm NEVER on the right tier with my approach! :banghead:

My second biggest complaint about the course--the greens can be unfair to hold. I'm fine with them being firm and fast, prefer it actually, but when you hit a sky high 60 degree wedge from 40 yards onto the front and it rolls all the way off the back....unfair. My biggest complaint, depending on the tee marker locations, their boxes aren't all that flat. Nothing like starting the hole with the ball an inch above/below your feet on the box.

And they have softened up over the years. When the wind blows on that course it can be brutal.
The 11th is by far the biggest PIA to deal with when the wind is blowing. One night last spring it was blowing clicgears over. I crushed a driver to only get to 130; then hit a 6 iron that didn't get to the green from there; then as we're walking up to the green, the pin blew right out of the cup and down the fairway. Just brutal.

Another fun story...on the 16th hole (short dogleg right with the houses WAY off to the right beyond the fescue). I toe'd a 4 wood that hit the pool of the blue house. When I hit it, I immediately that "that sucked" and turned around to grab another ball thinking the one I just hit would end up in the fescue and.....BOOM. I lasered it to 245 yards dead right off the toe and smashed the pool on the fly. If I hit a driver like that, the ball would be in there kitchen.

You don't have to tell me, haha the wind was absolutely brutal today. It really separated the groups today. That's all everyone was talking about in the clubhouse how windy is.

This sounds frighteningly familiar. I've hit everything from an 8 iron to a GW on that downhill par 3...and RARELY hit it in regulation. I'm usually either in the rocks short and right; or in the trees on the fly off the back. The 14th hole is my favorite on the course (by the trains). I'm not sure I've EVER missed that fairway. There's just something about the way it fits my eye and shot shape--especially now that the trees ddec mentioned down the right are gone. However, I'm NEVER on the right tier with my approach! :banghead:

My second biggest complaint about the course--the greens can be unfair to hold. I'm fine with them being firm and fast, prefer it actually, but when you hit a sky high 60 degree wedge from 40 yards onto the front and it rolls all the way off the back....unfair. My biggest complaint, depending on the tee marker locations, their boxes aren't all that flat. Nothing like starting the hole with the ball an inch above/below your feet on the box.
Ya I think I hit a PW today, wind into the face, landed pin high but to the right in the rough, easy up and down. The train home was my favorite as well. Used both my shots on that hole. Piped a driver down the middle and had a gap wedge in. I think I hit the wall of second tier because it backed up and made birdie from 6 ft.

BTW Troy CC was phenomal as well. Greens were true and fast, pretty much flawless tee boxes and Fairways. Tough course from the blues though. Had a nice range there. Ill post some pics when I get home.

Got out for some on course practice with Maddog yesterday. Going to really need to sharpen up because his Ben Hogan 1415 putter from 1972 that he tries to mention in every post on THP is warming up!!

3asude4y.jpg

Got out for some on course practice with Maddog yesterday. Going to really need to sharpen up because his Ben Hogan 1415 putter from 1972 that he tries to mention in every post on THP is warming up!!

3asude4y.jpg
I can hear the sound of his putter from here. :)

That is #4 at Leroy and he looks pretty far back. That a 300 yard drive or 220? :)

I can hear the sound of his putter from here. :)

That is #4 at Leroy and he looks pretty far back. That a 300 yard drive or 220? :)

Haha to be fair we were both hitting about 4-5 balls on each hole and we both took irons off the tee for the second shot you see there! ;) but his drives were carrying all of 240!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back