Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
Was really happy to have my first eagle in ages last time out (505 yd par 5, drive, 5 wood and 1 putt). Then I saw at the Scottish open David Howell eagled 3 par 5's in one round! Took the shine off mine at first, but then realised I shouldn't compare and I'm happier again..

Only ever had one in all my years playing golf (3W to middle of fairway, 5W to pin high off the left side of the green, chip in) and despite knowing the pro's manage it regularly doesn't take the shine off it for me

I had during a match play tournament, where I eagled a par 5 3 times in a row, twice in the same match (9hole course, 18 hole matches).... it is a crazy feeling. I don't think I have had one since that day. The worst conditions I have ever played in, cold with crazy winds.

Just because a pro, or someone else does it more often, doesn't make the eagle any less sweet for you!

Definitely shouldn't compare. I only have a handful of eagles on par 5's. I am pretty long off the tee, but that doesn't always lead to 2 good shots in a row. Lol. Especially being an 18.1 index. My first ever eagle was on a short par 4 and I got really lucky with a straight putt. Relish the eagle and remember we don't get payed to play this game. It is their job so they should be shooting low scores on every hole.

I would not even think of comparing my game to a pros
congrats on the eagle

congrats man!!

I got a hole in one my fourth time playing last October. 162 yards on a par 3. My wife's brother and dad were there as witnesses. I kept the ball I used. Wilson Staff ball I found on the previous hole. It's funny cuz many experienced golfers hate me for it. :)

I have a friend that thinks he should be able to hit it like the pros do. I keep telling him that he's crazy and should just focus on his game and not what the guys on tv are doing.

I have a friend that thinks he should be able to hit it like the pros do. I keep telling him that he's crazy and should just focus on his game and not what the guys on tv are doing.

yeah he's putting way too much pressure on himself thinking that way. He's got to go in knowing he sucks and owning it. Lots to learn in this game. When I shank a shot I don't even get mad I shrug it off somtimes I laugh too. It's all part of the game.

yeah he's putting way too much pressure on himself thinking that way. He's got to go in knowing he sucks and owning it. Lots to learn in this game. When I shank a shot I don't even get mad I shrug it off somtimes I laugh too. It's all part of the game.
His main thing is distance. He's a pretty long hitter, but thinks he should hit it just add long as the pros. He'll hit a 150 yard 9 iron and complain because the pros would only be hitting pitching wedge from there. I just tell him he's a moron then pull my 6 iron for that same shot.

I have been golfing for around 25 years and I don't think I have had more than a handful of eagles. Congrats on yours and enjoy it!

His main thing is distance. He's a pretty long hitter, but thinks he should hit it just add long as the pros. He'll hit a 150 yard 9 iron and complain because the pros would only be hitting pitching wedge from there. I just tell him he's a moron then pull my 6 iron for that same shot.

That's pretty cool that he can hit that long! He sounds like he's his own biggest critic. Hopefully he doesn't frustrate himself right out of the sport though otherwise he might start getting like Happy Gilmore out on the course. bleepin bleeeep! lol

Stuff like that if I had a friend always doing/saying that I would probably have fun with him and start saying stuff like, "Well if you were decent then you could hit that ball off the tee with your Pitching wedge and on the green but you suck so....." :)

Mustn't compare is right. During last night's Feherty episode, Padraig Harrington indicated that he has 10 hole-in-ones. Ten! I can't even imagine getting one, but if I do, I won't feel any less about it because Paddy has 10.

I've had many eagle putts from par 5s and one near hole in one miss, 183 yards rolled to 5 inches out.

Still none for me.

I've had quite a few eagles in my 15 years of playing, and I still get pretty pumped when I make an eagle. It's fun doing the double circle on the scorecard.

Hey man, just enjoy that you scored an eagle!

I'm probably the only single digit capper in the world to never have an eagle. I've been close and yesterday chipped to 2 inches for eagle, but still, never watched one drop.

Ha! That's my 5i.

Congrats on your first eagle !
I don't compare my game to the pros either. There is no future in that.

I have one eagle so far this year. I probably average 3 or 4 per season, almost all on par 5's.
I did have one on a par 4 two years ago by holing out a gap wedge from 116 yards.
Someday I hope to get my first ace.

Congrats on the eagle! Do net eagles in handicapped competitions count? My team had at least two in one round in Orlando :alien:

I'm really good at missing eagle putts. It's an art!

Congrats on the eagle, just enjoy it, comparison is futile, the pros play a different game than we do.

Back