Trying To Break 90 Club

Been getting so very close recently. Shot a 95, 100 and today was the closest with a 90 (47/43). My putt on the last hole lipped out by less than half an inch for a tap in bogey.

Went out later that afternoon with my family and replayed the front that gave me troubles and shot a 4 over 40. If i can get my tee game straightened out im going to be in the 80s consistently.

Been getting so very close recently. Shot a 95, 100 and today was the closest with a 90 (47/43). My putt on the last hole lipped out by less than half an inch for a tap in bogey.

Went out later that afternoon with my family and replayed the front that gave me troubles and shot a 4 over 40. If i can get my tee game straightened out im going to be in the 80s consistently.
From what I saw in Hilton Head, you'll be there soon enough.

From what I saw in Hilton Head, you'll be there soon enough.

I appreciate that. Iron play is fairly solid and short game has improved drastically, so the missing piece is keeping it out of trouble off the tee. I dont plan on being scratch, but shooting in the low 80s on a consistent basis would be nice.

Hell, my goal for this year was to get to an 18.x handicap and im currently trending at a 19.3 so its not far off.

I broke 90 for the first time this year with an 86. The course was very well kept and had GPS in the cart which was very accurate. Haven't done it since then, but at least I know I have it in me.

Went out and played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday shot 93, 96, 92 respectively. The 92 tied my personal best for this particular course. What a front 9 on Sunday. I had a triple on 1, a double on 2 a par on 3 and a bogie on 4, then.... Par on the last five on the front. I couldn't believe it. I changed my mindset to start hole 5 to a bogie for me is par for the hole. Then preceded to really shoot par for 5 holes. Mind blown. But then... Well I thought, I normally shoot better on the back here than I do on the front, I should be able to break 90 easily. Then just fell apart. One of these days though... On a positive note; I hit some of the best shots I have hit this year on Sunday and even though I didn't break 90 I feel really good about the round. Ended it with a total of 7 holes with par.

I'm calling yesterday's round a minor success. In the past two months I've only played one round - a best ball at a charity tournament, so I knew I'd be rusty. I lost a good five strokes on the putting greens with some atrocious putting, and still managed to cobble together a 90. 6 pars and about half the greens were hit in regulation.

I played the Callaway SR1 until I lost it on the 8th hole then switched to a Srixon Z-Star. Both balls perform well for me, my thoughts are that the SR1 is longer but the Z Star stops quicker on the greens. I'm happy with both. I hope I'm back out there before another two months passes by.

today I had a revelation!

terrible first nine, penalties, slices, pull hooks and duffed chips, it was terrible.

then I relaxed tried to just make contact and let the clubs do the work, and I then I remembered, just swing easy. from there, everything was great! see for yourself

round20140714_zps3a4a34a2.png

Finally got there on an 18 hole round. Had matching 9's of sub-45, but today was a 44/42 86. Helps that there was a lot of rain in the past couple of days. Greens putted quickly, but the turf was far more receptive to iron shots. Kept it well in play off the tee, and avoided the dreaded 3-jack. Need to focus on my short game more. A wedge and then a 2-putt is not cool.

I went out Saturday and shot a 46/46 for a 92. One blowup hole, and one bad par 3 away from what could of been at least an 88. My driving is getting straighter, or at least more managable. I feel at least 1 under 90 round coming this year. Hoping that the rest of the year will be spent under 90

Getting closer. Even with a triple on #9, I finished with a 45. 54 on the back:arrogant:

I've been working on irons on the 90 yd home fairway most every day this year and it's been showing in my game. Last three 9 hole match scores were 45, 45 and 44. Saturday I shot my personal best, an 18 hole 90. That was my goal for this year so now I've shifted the goal to 85 :banana:

So tonight's league play was piss-poor at best, thus crushing my euphoria from Saturday. Plus, the lawyer on the opposing team turned out to be "guessing" my score when they won the hole. How the hell do you add that to your handicap? Note to self: Score your own holes. Another note to self: Don't let lawyers score your round.

This is golf. Must hit more balls every day. 2 years into my golf career and I'm at 90. I just started 50 years late!

I broke 90 last year. What worked for me was hitting from the blues instead of white tees for practice. Forced me to drive the ball longer and straighter and improved my short game big time. Now my best is 83 from the blue tees.

Although I never really posted, I think I've finally "graduated" from the breaking 100 thread and now will begin to actively monitor this thread as I work to continually lower my score.

44/46 yesterday with a ton of missed putts. My fairway play is better than 90, but my driving and putting is worse than 100. I need to practice putting more.

Shot a 96 Tuesday evening, had to play speed golf on the back 9, got a late start and the front took 2 hours. Yesterday the course was absolutely packed, which is unusual for a Wednesday evening and it took 2 1/2 hours to walk the front. With how bad I was playing and not wanting to jog the entire back 9, I decided to call it quits after the front. Shot a 54 from the tips. Normally I play one up from the tips, but the two guys I got put with were playing from the tips, so I decided to give em a try. They probably only cost me 2 strokes, as it really only matters on the 2 par 5s. Anyway, I shot so bad and felt completely disgusted walking of the course... I don't know, maybe some range time. I need to bite the bullet and get some lessons...

Normally I play one up from the tips, but the two guys I got put with were playing from the tips, so I decided to give em a try. They probably only cost me 2 strokes, as it really only matters on the 2 par 5s.

To me it makes the biggest difference on the par 3's. A lot of the courses around me go from 150-185yd par 3's to 185-215 yd par 3's. I think it's still a mental thing for me. I would much rather hit a 205yd shoot from the fairway then the tee box.

Over the past month, i have started to hit more fairways, which has brought the score down a lot.

In my last 14 rounds i've been 'under 90' 8 times. Today was an 84 at a course with a 134 slope and a 71.4 rating.

I like the idea of maybe a "trying to break 85" thread as part of a bigger thread on breaking 80, as I don't think breaking 80 is really going to happen for me. My putting is terrible sometimes, and I do have a double or two on each 9.

having only broken 90 a couple of times, my last several rounds haven't been all that close. mid to high 90s, which isn't much worse than normal for me... but it's moving in the wrong direction. It had been a while since I had one of those stretches where I was just way, way off and couldn't strike the ball to save my life. That has happened 3 of the last 4 rounds, though. for a few holes I'll just get so far out of sync that I'm topping everything or hitting it fat. Even had a couple of hosel rockets yesterday. It's frustrating, too... the shots are in there somewhere. Yesterday I started off very well and just blew up on the 4th hole. Took another 4 holes to get it back but it never *fully* came back. I think it's mental... but it might be time for a lesson to get me back to where I was a couple of months ago =\

having only broken 90 a couple of times, my last several rounds haven't been all that close. mid to high 90s, which isn't much worse than normal for me... but it's moving in the wrong direction. It had been a while since I had one of those stretches where I was just way, way off and couldn't strike the ball to save my life. That has happened 3 of the last 4 rounds, though. for a few holes I'll just get so far out of sync that I'm topping everything or hitting it fat. Even had a couple of hosel rockets yesterday. It's frustrating, too... the shots are in there somewhere. Yesterday I started off very well and just blew up on the 4th hole. Took another 4 holes to get it back but it never *fully* came back. I think it's mental... but it might be time for a lesson to get me back to where I was a couple of months ago =\

FWIW, you might want to try a round playing way up. I recently did the Red Tees challenge going on in another thread, and played the best 9 of the year from the front (if 4 birdie putts had fallen instead of burning the edge I would have had a par round and my PB for 9 is 40). Really left me with a lot more confidence in my swing, something that had been falling recently with my on course performances. Just a reminder that yes, I can in fact play this game. Looking forward to seeing how that carries over to my next round, but even in my practice sessions since then I have been striking the ball much better since then. When I get into a slump in the future this will be my goto plan to snap out of it.

I recently switched instructors and prior to the change, always hit a fade (though not because I wanted to). I also was able to game my swing to hit fairly straight, but short drives (like 230 on average - 250 when lucky). The new instructor instantly got my hitting draws, and I'm hitting my irons better than ever. I can't hit my driver to save my life though.

I played in a scramble Saturday and everything about my game was on fire except for my driver. I did not contribute a single drive for the team, but hit a 3 iron 220 from the fairway onto the green for a second shot on a par 5 (but we didn't make the eagle putt), and drained multiple 15-20 foot birdie putts for us. We ended up tied for 2nd with a 61 (third after the hole handicaps were reviewed).

I went on to play 9 holes immediately following the 18 hole tournement when I was dead tired. My short game didn't really suffer, but my irons did slightly as I had about 4 mishits. They were straight, but short and cost me strokes. The driver was all over the place and cost me strokes from two penalties. I also ended up in water once on a forced carry approach shot costing me another penalty. Needless to say, I ended up with a 50. I'm okay with that though since I was dead tired and have the driver out of whack for me right now.

I'm always taking lessons, and spent the past 3 (over the past 3 weeks) working on the driver. I'm just not getting it with the longer club. And switching to the 3w won't help, because I have the same problem with it. Hopefully I get it figured out sooner than later.

FWIW, you might want to try a round playing way up. I recently did the Red Tees challenge going on in another thread, and played the best 9 of the year from the front (if 4 birdie putts had fallen instead of burning the edge I would have had a par round and my PB for 9 is 40). Really left me with a lot more confidence in my swing, something that had been falling recently with my on course performances. Just a reminder that yes, I can in fact play this game. Looking forward to seeing how that carries over to my next round, but even in my practice sessions since then I have been striking the ball much better since then. When I get into a slump in the future this will be my goto plan to snap out of it.
yeah I think I will do that soon, for fun. strangely enough, I usually find that playing from the tips makes me focus a bit more. My normal tees are one up from there, but last time out I played the tips for the front 9 and improved by 3 strokes over the day before... still not a great score, though. 48 from the "blues" and 45 from the back tees. my biggest issue right now is duffed shots. those are pretty punishing no matter where I play from, unfortunately. I get all out of sync and just can't strike the stupid ball worth a darn. trying to fix it mid-round is beyond my ability. I'm scheduling a playing lesson this week, I think.

yeah I think I will do that soon, for fun. strangely enough, I usually find that playing from the tips makes me focus a bit more. My normal tees are one up from there, but last time out I played the tips for the front 9 and improved by 3 strokes over the day before... still not a great score, though. 48 from the "blues" and 45 from the back tees. my biggest issue right now is duffed shots. those are pretty punishing no matter where I play from, unfortunately. I get all out of sync and just can't strike the stupid ball worth a darn. trying to fix it mid-round is beyond my ability. I'm scheduling a playing lesson this week, I think.

I have never tried from the front tees, but we tend to change tees from time too time, and I think its fun, not sure how it affects the scores tough, I seem toalways score pretty much the same, regardless of the tees

I have never tried from the front tees, but we tend to change tees from time too time, and I think its fun, not sure how it affects the scores tough, I seem toalways score pretty much the same, regardless of the tees

for me I know it's mostly mental. playing back forces me to plan my shots more and focus on my swing more because I know I'm screwed if I don't. playing my normal tees allows me to lose focus and just go hit the ball since I've played those tees so many times and at least in my head I know what it's "supposed" to look like. sometimes not overthinking can be a good thing and I definitely have had some good holes that way. but when I'm off, the lax attitude bites me more times than it helps. that's why I want a playing lesson... someone with a keen eye for the swing who can spot what parts fall apart mid-round. and maybe can give me some tips to help right the ship when he's not around.

I just played the weirdest of rounds.....

double +2
double +4
triple +7
par +7
par +7
bridie +6
double +8
bogey +9

9 over, 45 for 9

lost balls and penalties on the first tree holes, otherwise this could have been a stellar round!

that pattern seems very familiar to me ;)

Back