The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

Turned down 5yrs $44mil ($8.8 mill/year) because he felt he was under valued. And then signs 3yrs/$27mil ($9mil/yr) lol things that make me scratch my head

Not as much of a head scratcher when you think about how much more money could be earned in 3 years.
If he gets better, that is a big raise and a chance at max deal (playing for a team that needs his talents).
New deal could lead to more money.
I think the new TV contract is dictating alot of these 2-3 year contracts right. If I heard right they expect the cap to jump significantly for each team. So why lock yourself in for 5 years at this point when more money could be on the table in 3 years?

I think the new TV contract is dictating alot of these 2-3 year contracts right. If I heard right they expect the cap to jump significantly for each team. So why lock yourself in for 5 years at this point when more money could be on the table in 3 years?

No way Stevenson is a max player

No way Stevenson is a max player
Oh I agree with you.. I am not sold on Stephenson at all. But if you are him - you have a chance to put yourself on position - why not.

Really makes you wonder what all is going on in that Pacers locker room?

Either is Chris Bosh

I think Bosh is a max player. Gotta understand he was the third option on that team and still put up solid numbers. I think he's gonna play real well this season

I think Bosh is a max player. Gotta understand he was the third option on that team and still put up solid numbers. I think he's gonna play real well this season

Was he really the third option like everyone claims? Wade missed half the year and played terribly. Who was the second option for all that? Bosh?

Was he really the third option like everyone claims? Wade missed half the year and played terribly. Who was the second option for all that? Bosh?

Even a second option he did fine. You have one player leading the league, everybody else is going to play second fiddle. Its not as if his skills went away from where he was 4 years ago. If anything he is even a better defender.

Even a second option he did fine. You have one player leading the league, everybody else is going to play second fiddle. Its not as if his skills went away from where he was 4 years ago. If anything he is even a better defender.

Sure he has the skills but every game I watch there is no hustle, no determination and zero inclination to play inside and use his size. No matter what option you are on the team, 6 rebounds a game from a 7 footer is inexcusable.

16.4 FGA/game for Wade, 13.0 FGA/game for Bosh in the 4 years they were together in the regular season. Wade played 248 games, Bosh played 287.

The margins are even large in the playoffs

Sure he has the skills but every game I watch there is no hustle, no determination and zero inclination to play inside and use his size. No matter what option you are on the team, 6 rebounds a game from a 7 footer is inexcusable.

He doesn't need to play inside because he shoots at an incredible rate from the field. He can score from anywhere. He's shot 53% from inside the 3pt line since he arrived in Miami. That is very good and there's no reason to beat himself up while playing inside.

16.4 FGA/game for Wade, 13.0 FGA/game for Bosh in the 4 years they were together in the regular season. Wade played 248 games, Bosh played 287.

The margins are even large in the playoffs

I'm going solely off last year and I don't have stats in front of me. The stats mean very little to me though. A true max player should have helped LBJ more than he did. The only reason he got max was because LBJ left and Miami was in a bind. Houston offered it because they're trying to buy a championship.

I'm going solely off last year and I don't have stats in front of me. The stats mean very little to me though. A true max player should have helped LBJ more than he did. The only reason he got max was because LBJ left and Miami was in a bind. Houston offered it because they're trying to buy a championship.

Last year was arguably his best season in Miami. He had his best year offensively and was still decent defensively. I agree that too many players receive max contracts, but you have to overpay in the NBA to keep/get talent. How many deservedly max players do you think there are in the NBA?

Last year was arguably his best season in Miami. He had his best year offensively and was still decent defensively. I agree that too many players receive max contracts, but you have to overpay in the NBA to keep/get talent. How many deservedly max players do you think there are in the NBA?

Knee jerk answer: 1. LBJ.

The best player in the league should get max. It never has and never will work like that and that's one of the biggest issues with sports. Guys make way too much and don't do enough.

Edit: Durant also deserves max for sure. After that, I'd have to think.

Turned down 5yrs $44mil ($8.8 mill/year) because he felt he was under valued. And then signs 3yrs/$27mil ($9mil/yr) lol things that make me scratch my head
Doesn't make much sense, I wonder how many Pacers are happy today!

Knee jerk answer: 1. LBJ.

The best player in the league should get max. It never has and never will work like that and that's one of the biggest issues with sports. Guys make way too much and don't do enough.

Edit: Durant also deserves max for sure. After that, I'd have to think.

Fair enough. If you go strictly by the cream of the crop get the max then the answer is 1-2.

I will probably agree that Bosh is not a "max" contract player, but he is right there at the edge of them. I think that there are maybe 10-15 true max players in the NBA.

In no particular order: LeBron, Durant, CP3, Griffin, Westbrook, Love, Harden, Howard, Melo, Curry, Anthony Davis (rookie contract), Noah

Several border line players: Aldridge, Bosh, Paul George, etc.

edit: This is assuming that the list is fluid. Obviously guys like Kobe still get the max because of how long their previous deals were.

Fair enough. If you go strictly by the cream of the crop get the max then the answer is 1-2.

I will probably agree that Bosh is not a "max" contract player, but he is right there at the edge of them. I think that there are maybe 10-15 true max players in the NBA.

In no particular order: LeBron, Durant, CP3, Griffin, Westbrook, Love, Harden, Howard, Melo, Curry, Anthony Davis (rookie contract), Noah

edit: This is assuming that the list is fluid. Obviously guys like Kobe still get the max because of how long their previous deals were.

In a different year Bosh is probably not a Max guy, but this year due who was/is availabile he was, looking the list above none of those guys are available

I'm not saying a few get the absolute max and then everyone else is half. If max is $25M, I see the majority of your list getting $24M. Hypothetical numbers just to make a point.

My opinion, wrong in most people's eyes on here, if a team is going to give up over a 1/3 of their salary to one guy, he better be pretty darn special.

I like a lot of guys on your list. They are good players but how many can truly carry a team? CP3 can't. Griffin can't. Melo certainly can't. Westbrook hurts Durant more than helps IMO. That's another fun conversation in itself. Curry is amazing but not max, not yet.

I agree with what you're saying overall. I just find the whole system a little messed up.

In a different year Bosh is probably not a Max guy, but this year due who was/is availabile he was, looking the list above none of those guys are available

Absolutely, which makes it unreasonable to look at max guys in a vacuum. Miami knew they had to give Bosh the max to keep him which threw everything out of whack. Same reason guys like Hibbert, Eric Gordon, and others get the max or the near max

Absolutely, which makes it unreasonable to look at max guys in a vacuum. Miami knew they had to give Bosh the max to keep him which threw everything out of whack. Same reason guys like Hibbert, Eric Gordon, and others get the max or the near max
i think Bosh will surprise a lot of people & play really well this year

I agree! I was really excited when Houston was going after him, but he is still one of the better big men in the league as a whole. He is right up at the top offensively.

i think Bosh will surprise a lot of people & play really well this year

He better with 118M on the line and the new number one on that team.

Back