Weight Distribution and Balance?

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm a newcomer who is struggling with inconsistent contact. Some shots I hit I'm really pleased with but others topped, sliced, etc as I'm sure you've all been through back as a newbie!

I'm learning all the time but I think one of my biggest issues is my balance at address. I think I sway a bit and struggle to get my weight distribution and balance right

At address, before starting my backswing, how should my weight be distributed (and where), and how does this change through the backswing and into the downswing?

At the moment I'd say I'm about 50/50 between right and left leg, with the weight kind of neutral between balls and heels of feet. I wouldn't say I'm weighted on either more than the other.

Then by the time I'm at the top of the backswing I'd say I'm 90% weight on the right side with more weight on the heel than the ball of the foot.

I then try and start the downswing by moving my left knee towards the target, and letting the right knee follow, but I also think I'm keeping my lower body a bit too square and not "turning" enough. It's like my upper body wants to turn to the target but my lower body wants to stay facing where the ball was :act-up:

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Martin

Hi Everyone

I'm a newcomer who is struggling with inconsistent contact. Some shots I hit I'm really pleased with but others topped, sliced, etc as I'm sure you've all been through back as a newbie!

I'm learning all the time but I think one of my biggest issues is my balance at address. I think I sway a bit and struggle to get my weight distribution and balance right

At address, before starting my backswing, how should my weight be distributed (and where), and how does this change through the backswing and into the downswing?

At the moment I'd say I'm about 50/50 between right and left leg, with the weight kind of neutral between balls and heels of feet. I wouldn't say I'm weighted on either more than the other.

Then by the time I'm at the top of the backswing I'd say I'm 90% weight on the right side with more weight on the heel than the ball of the foot.

I then try and start the downswing by moving my left knee towards the target, and letting the right knee follow, but I also think I'm keeping my lower body a bit too square and not "turning" enough. It's like my upper body wants to turn to the target but my lower body wants to stay facing where the ball was :act-up:

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Martin

At address your feet should be shoulder width apart. The weight should be 50/50 just behind the balls of your feet.

The weight will shift to the inside of the right leg on the back swing and transfer to the left on the down swing.

Drive the right knee down toward the ball and your hips should clear properly and allow the club to swing freely.

If you are back on your heels at the top of your swing, it very difficult to transfer the weight properly back to your left side on the down swing. The golf stance is an athletic stance like shooting a free throw or preparing to field a ground ball. If you are on your heels during either of the these you will inconsistent at best.

I think there was an article in Golf Digest about this in this month's copy. Interesting read.

At address your feet should be shoulder width apart. The weight should be 50/50 just behind the balls of your feet.

The weight will shift to the inside of the right leg on the back swing and transfer to the left on the down swing.

Drive the right knee down toward the ball and your hips should clear properly and allow the club to swing freely.

If you are back on your heels at the top of your swing, it very difficult to transfer the weight properly back to your left side on the down swing. The golf stance is an athletic stance like shooting a free throw or preparing to field a ground ball. If you are on your heels during either of the these you will inconsistent at best.

Thank you!

When you say "drive the right knee down toward the ball...." you mean to "initiate" the downswing? I've been starting the downswing by thinking about driving the left leg towards the target. Will try what you suggest!

And if anything I'd say I have a habit of getting too much on the balls of my feet at the top rather than the heels, guess I'm backwards :laugh: for a while I was bringing my right heel slightly off the floor and losing balance.

Back