What would you shoot off the ladies tee?

Ok heres what I will do today, as we are playing again at 5pm from the reds. (Assuming the course isnt packed) I will play 2 balls. One I will try to drive all the greens, one I will play to a number. There are 7 greens that I feel are either driveable or I should be within 40yds of.

Im sure I can talk Dru into doing the same.

Ok heres what I will do today, as we are playing again at 5pm from the reds. (Assuming the course isnt packed) I will play 2 balls. One I will try to drive all the greens, one I will play to a number. There are 7 greens that I feel are either driveable or I should be within 40yds of.

Im sure I can talk Dru into doing the same.

Well, (lol) not to bust chops but there is still some issue with this. Just one round either way may simply come down to ball striking better or worse for one vs the other. At a 14 cap or so I must assume the ball striking occasionally can come and go from hole to hole at times also from round to round. Even playing 2 rounds on whites may offer far apart scoring. But there is no answer for that problem except to play multiple rounds from the reds and then see what the average difference is vs the whites.

All I'm saying with the other stuff is that if one doesn't approach the game with the same mental approach from Blues, whites, or reds then the experiment to judge from any tee is not fair imo. Perhaps your yardages to lay up at might change and so may a number of other things. There may even be some greens you go for and that's fine too if its something you would normally do from that distance. As long as one looks at whats ahead and plays it with the same mental approach he would normally use when playing his normal golf is where the difference in this experiment is. Do that and the experiment works. Change that and it doesn't imo. It may be a lot of fun but it doesn't give an honest answer to the topic.

Well, (lol) not to bust chops but there is still some issue with this. Just one round either way may simply come down to ball striking better or worse for one vs the other. At a 14 cap or so I must assume the ball striking occasionally can come and go from hole to hole at times also from round to round. Even playing 2 rounds on whites may offer far apart scoring. But there is no answer for that problem except to play multiple rounds from the reds and then see what the average difference is vs the whites.

All I'm saying with the other stuff is that if one doesn't approach the game with the same mental approach from Blues, whites, or reds then the experiment to judge from any tee is not fair imo. Perhaps your yardages to lay up at might change and so may a number of other things. There may even be some greens you go for and that's fine too if its something you would normally do from that distance. As long as one looks at whats ahead and plays it with the same mental approach he would normally use when playing his normal golf is where the difference in this experiment is. Do that and the experiment works. Change that and it doesn't imo. It may be a lot of fun but it doesn't give an honest answer to the topic.

I played yesterday the same way I would play from other tees. My hdcp is actually an 8.8 according to yesterdays revision, I just havent changed it on here. Oops! Yes the ball striking can still come and go a bit and yesterdays was good.

It looks like I'll be doing this tomorrow. Going to play the same 9 twice, first from the blues then from the reds. Going to be playing with one of my neighbors who's soon to turn 20, was part of the HS golf team, and plays to about a 5 handicap right now. Been telling him about THP so hopefully he may check it out.

There are multiple ways to get a population set for statistical purposes. You can have a few people play multiple times, or many people play once or twice. Either way, you should generate enough numbers to get a sense of whether or not the hypothesis of "playing from the red tees will result in lower scores" is valid or not.

And to be honest, getting multiple people to do it is much easier than getting one or two to play multiple times.

We play a red white and blue tourney every summer and this year, I eagled two par fours and a 5 from the reds. That 6 hole stretch won it for our team.

I would shoot whatever the numbers add up to. I don't think playing a shorter course will automatically make you shoot lower scores. It definitely would be fun though, I always enjoy getting a new look at the same course.

There are multiple ways to get a population set for statistical purposes. You can have a few people play multiple times, or many people play once or twice. Either way, you should generate enough numbers to get a sense of whether or not the hypothesis of "playing from the red tees will result in lower scores" is valid or not.

And to be honest, getting multiple people to do it is much easier than getting one or two to play multiple times.

yes I suppose that's another way to do it too. But having many people do it once or twice is something they are not use to doing and may affect their game some till they get use to it. That could be one potential possible problem with doing it that way I can only assume but I could be wrong.

And I do think it will be lower on average. Just not by any huge amounts. Imo probably enough to cover the stroke rating difference and perhaps a few more for the slope difference. That would vary some from course to course. A 3 stroke rated difference and a 8 point slope difference should mean on average 3 less strokes and a few more for the slope too. I would have to think it should stay pretty much on par (lol) with the rating and slope differences for that course . Otherwise the handicap system wouldn't work well enough. I assume one should maintain a similar cap from either tees otherwise the system is just too flawed. Its not perfect anyway but is pretty good and if someone is a 18 from the whites yet a 10 from the reds then there would be something very wrong with that. No?

I need to give this a try at the two courses I play the most the differences between my normal tees and the front tees are 800 yards, relatively short course, and 1400 yards. I may try it at the 1400 yard difference course, the total yardage would be around 4700 yards. That puts two par fives under 400 yards and five par fours under 285.

Well this evening Niteowl and I played from the red tees again. I had a better ball striking day and my swing is starting to come to form. I shot an 89 compared to a 94 yesterday. It doesn't matter from what tees you play from, you still have to make your shots. I really dont think playing from closer tees makes a huge difference IMO. I still had problems with my short game. I had several flubbed chip shots and my putting needs some work as well.

I would be still putting on the same greens so I would say within 4-5 shots of where I am now.

If I played from the ladies tee, I doubt my scores would be much different.

As people test playing off of "the Women's" Tees... keep in mind that those red forward tees don't represent the distance that USGA Amateur women play in competition. At the current WAPL Championships that I am working, the gals are hitting from what would be the White or men's forward tee... 6242/6278 yards over 2 rounds. That's only 351 yards further than the men's mid tee of 6629. The regular women's Tee is only 5442.

I played the same course from the same tees, and pretty much under the same conditions, just a day before the gals took to the course. While my 87 was 23 strokes more than the Medalist winner, it doesn't bother my ego. In fact, I really enjoy watching these hard working amateur gals and even came away learning a lot. I might have done better at 5442, but who knows? This particular course was super fast.... average green speed 12.2, and while the fairways are wide, even on the short course, the motto there is pretty much the same as opening a new successful business..... location, location, location. Where your ball lands will dictate where it ends up after it finishes bouncing/rolling. The bottom line is, there in no reason why I should expect to do much better from the regular ladies tees, unless I play a much better round of golf. But then, a much better round of golf could also net me a much better score from the men's tee.

Last edited:
Well considering just how terrible my driver is (lots of 100 yard duck hooks) I think that going up that much would be a big help to my game

I've been hitting hybrid off the tee quite often just so i can keep the ball in play but it leaves me with some really long shots.

Having more 90 yard approach shots (a full 52 for me) vs 160-170 yard approaches would really help as my biggest issue currently is getting off the tee box

After nine holes from the red tees, score was about the same for me. However, I could do nothing right today. I was having problems with every club. Could have been the slow pace of play by the two groups ahead of me, not having a warm up, lack of sleep, my body feeling tight, or just all of them. This was the worst I've played this year. Will report back after a few more rounds.

I'm late to this conversation but the forward tees I'm usually only 5 strokes less than back tees. Approach shots are my issue not driving. I have a lot of my playing partners move up to the front tees because they can't drive the ball past 190. It's just not fair to have them on the back tees with me.

this is a good question as I have been wondering the same thing also. Sometimes I play with my girlfriend from the same tee to make the game go faster. I know I get to the green easier but my putting is still horrible so my score isnt that much better.

Ok I just finished 9 from the reds and it was very interesting. I usually shoot anywhere from 43-48 and my best is 40. Today I shot 39 so it was my lowest however it didn't exactly go like planned. It was actually kinda eye opening as to how freaking bad my short game is. I was actually really frustrated today and I haven't been like that in awhile. I drove the ball absolutely amazing today!! Didn't miss a single fairway and was left with 100-150 pretty much the whole time. I missed the green on all those shots!! Its just embarrassing how bad my short game is and it just seemed like this amplified it. I did drive two greens but 3 putted one and missed eagle on the other so those were missed opportunities. So yeah I did shoot my lowest round barely but it just left me going "wow it could of been awesome" I think many others will run into the same problem. Very interesting round. I want to try it again after some serious practice and see if I can capitalize on all those chances and try to go low.

Did not get a chance to try it yesterday, the first 9 took nearly 3 hours to finish because of a five some that refused to let people play through. May be a blessing in disguise my putting was atrocious yesterday.

Okay so I did this today. The results are not surprising to me, but I will admit I didn't expect this big a difference. My game from 150 and in is what keeps my handicap where it is. The worst part of my game is off the tee, although it is getting better. I'm also not terribly accurate from 160-200, but that is my focus right now in practice.

I played the same 9 holes twice today. I played the Irish course at Bedford Hills. It's more of a shot makers 9, driver only is needed on 1, 2, and 8. First, the blues.

QNz7vBP.jpg

The story of this round was three blowup holes I have on 1, seven, and eight. Just some inopportune poor swings that cost me greatly. Normally from the blues I average 44.

Now, the reds.

xe9yRW4.jpg

Night and day difference with my second shops which were almost always inside 150. I also burned the edge of the cup on 4 birdie putts. I had a bad drive on the first hole that got stuck in a tree so I had to take a penalty. I'm number nine my tee shot went into the back edge of a Sandtrap and I got it out of the Sandtrap but it flew across the green to the other side costing me a stroke. There was only one hole that I could try to go for the green with the drive. Because I feel comfortable with any distance inside 150 I was not playing to a number on any hole. I did have two awkward tee shots though. Number six is a hard dogleg left and I had to take the pitching wedge to put it out of the dog leg because the trees are so high I would not be able to get it over to cut the corner.

When I look at this I realize that this is a bit of an outlier. But I do believe that playing a full 18 I would score 8 to 10 strokes fewer than my average scores from my normal tees because the shorter tees take out the worst parts of my game, and accentuate my strengths.

This also reinforces that the work I've been putting in is helpful on the score sheet, and that I need to work on my longer game so that my short game strength can be used for going for birdies and pars instead of pars or bogeys. I am not a great putter, two putts per hole is my average historically and far too many times from my normal tees I'm having to try and make a one putt par.

I don't know but I'm gonna try it this week to find out. My guess is a +2

Just a little irony to add to this I shot 79 on Wednesday from the reds, and played the same course from the whites today and shot 78 and what should have been a 76.

Just a little irony to add to this I shot 79 on Wednesday from the reds, and played the same course from the whites today and shot 78 and what should have been a 76.

but if the 78 was a 76 then the 79 would have been a 77 and the 78 if was on a Tuesday would have then been the 79 or even an 80 but if that 80 was a 78 then the original 79 would have been the same 76 that you would have shot on Wednesday but you didn't so that 76 was actually a 78 only to look like the 79 you would have shot on the Tuesday that would have ultimately been an 80 and therefore and furthermore thereafter would have equaled or beaten the 76 you should have shot with exception had you shot a 75 or 81 in which case either one would have been 2 strokes better on opposite days with one beating the other had you only thought about it all on Monday :) I hope this clears it all up!

but if the 78 was a 76 then the 79 would have been a 77 and the 78 if was on a Tuesday would have then been the 79 or even an 80 but if that 80 was a 78 then the original 79 would have been the same 76 that you would have shot on Wednesday but you didn't so that 76 was actually a 78 only to look like the 79 you would have shot on the Tuesday that would have ultimately been an 80 and therefore and furthermore thereafter would have equaled or beaten the 76 you should have shot with exception had you shot a 75 or 81 in which case either one would have been 2 strokes better on opposite days with one beating the other had you only thought about it all on Monday :) I hope this clears it all up!

So, whats your point? I dont get what you are trying to say.

Lol what?

Back