UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

So I'm still in love with these shafts and have now thought about putting one in my 49* scor wedge. What is everyones thoughts on doing this and should I go with the same 660 f3 or go with something a little heavier. I use that wedge on full shots, half shots and for lower pitch shots. Right now it has the Genius 12 shaft in it.

I'm really liking the feel of the recoil 110 f5 in the AP2 head and with spin numbers of 5467 with an 85 mph 6i SS I believe either the 110 or 125 will be in my next set.

I have compared this shaft against the steelfiber and while the steelfiber is very nice the ball flight is better from the recoil and the recoil reacts better for me on partial swings.

I had the 670 F3 in my set of x20 irons and really liked them, with this new set of X-hot irons I still haven't replaced my steel shafts because I'm not sure how they fit in the feed through heads. I am just trying to get use to these clubs and haven't quite made up my mind on changing these shafts.

Have had the Recoil 110 Prototypes in AP2s for more than a couple of months, now, and with the weather finally improving in the MidWest, have several actual rounds in. First, even with many practice sessions from mats or artificial turf, my elbows have been completely pain/soreness free. That's a big deal to me, as in the last couple of years, I have just continued to play through elbow pain/soreness through the entire season. I'm sure hoping this characteristic continues, as I have a lot of golf planned for the year.

Performance-wise, these are the real deal. Flight does not balloon, at all, unless you get excessive spin from the swing mechanics themselves. Distances are still a bit off - I did not come in with expectations of big gains, so any gains are gravy as far as I'm concerned. Up to this point, I'm getting closer to having my mid-season carry distances, and that's just fine by me. I'm not going to say these are point-n-shoot, because that's just not the way swings work (or at least my swing). What I can say is that my ball flight is more predictable, and I do have a better ability/understanding of modifying the trajectory, especially dealing with wind.

Others have talked about the increased graphite shaft usage in irons, and that the performance has greatly improved as shaft companies have spent more R&D time on the topic. Anyone who has been on the fence about trying newer graphite options, should give them a try. Yes, it is more expensive, but if they are the right fit for your swing, they can be very good options. Add in reduced vibration, and golfers like me can get multiple benefits that will be worth the cost, in the end.

Has anyone tried the Recoil 95/110/125 listed in the Golfworks/Golfsmith catolog's to see how they compare to the Proto Types you fellows have been hitting. These shafts sell for $45.00. Talked with a UST pro and he said he uses a combo of both of these shafts in his set make-up. He also said that they are slightly ascending weight, but not as much as he would like to see. The torque in the cheaper Recoils are a little higher. I am thinking on doing a set of these using 95's in the 4-6 and the 110's in the 7-GW and the 125's in the SW and LW,so they will work nicely so I can moi my irons without have to add weight to the shorter clubs.

I'm swinging the 110 in an ap2 6i for testing and I will play the same shaft all the way through my set probably gonna end up with 125's from 3-58*.

I don't see the point in changing weights throughout the set but that's my opinion.

When you moi irons they basically get heavier by 1/2 swing weight as the club gets shorter which gives you more control in the scoring irons.

Enjoy them! Really great shafts.

Played with the 110F5 this weekend and the shaft absolutely delivers

I love the feel of my F4's!

Great to hear. Bet they fee really nice in the J40s. Were you playing the J40s prior to the Recoils? How would you describe the changes (if any) in the ballflight with the Recoils?

Great to hear. Bet they fee really nice in the J40s. Were you playing the J40s prior to the Recoils? How would you describe the changes (if any) in the ballflight with the Recoils?

I've played both J40's with and without Recoils. Other shafts used were KBS Tour V and Steelfibers. With the Recoils I get a more penetrating flight, mid launch and less spin. And they feel the best out of every shaft I have ever used.

Has anyone tried the Recoil 95/110/125 listed in the Golfworks/Golfsmith catolog's to see how they compare to the Proto Types you fellows have been hitting. These shafts sell for $45.00. Talked with a UST pro and he said he uses a combo of both of these shafts in his set make-up. He also said that they are slightly ascending weight, but not as much as he would like to see. The torque in the cheaper Recoils are a little higher. I am thinking on doing a set of these using 95's in the 4-6 and the 110's in the 7-GW and the 125's in the SW and LW,so they will work nicely so I can moi my irons without have to add weight to the shorter clubs.

I was about to pull the trigger on 95's from Golfworks when I saw this. How are they different from what is on UST's website? UST's online fitting suggested the 95 or 670 but I would prefer the heavier of the two to put into Apex heads soon.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gaines W

I was about to pull the trigger on 95's from Golfworks when I saw this. How are they different from what is on UST's website? UST's online fitting suggested the 95 or 670 but I would prefer the heavier of the two to put into Apex heads soon.

Giving this a bump hoping to get an answer before I spend $350 tonight.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gaines W

Giving this a bump hoping to get an answer before I spend $350 tonight.
Randy, prototypes are notably lower launching and feel quite a bit more stout due to lower torque. Also prototypes are only available through tourspx dealer and ungodly expensive. Unless u buy a used pull from the bay which they are not very common even there

Kang nailed it, Proto's are different beasts.

I knew that the protos were lower torque. Anyone play/tested the recoil 95's? Would the performance of these be comparable to the big dollar proto's? As if $45/shaft is cheap!

I knew that the protos were lower torque. Anyone play/tested the recoil 95's? Would the performance of these be comparable to the big dollar proto's? As if $45/shaft is cheap!
If im not mistaken, protos only come in 125g???

i have a set of the 95 F3 recoils that I am pulling from apex to have to proto95 F4 installed. Having hit both, i feel that I can go after a shot and take a divot easier with the proto 95 over the 95.

i have a set of the 95 F3 recoils that I am pulling from apex to have to proto95 F4 installed. Having hit both, i feel that I can go after a shot and take a divot easier with the proto 95 over the 95.

Is that just the difference between the f3 and f4 effecting your shot? I'll be getting the f4's

Is that just the difference between the f3 and f4 effecting your shot? I'll be getting the f4's

For me, the F3 shafts don't give me the confidence were as with the F4, I felt like I could swing harder and with a quicker tempo and i wouldn't lose the feel of the clubhead during the swing.

Back