What's your "Golden Rule" for your golf swing?

Mine is to remember that no matter what happens, just act like you meant to do whatever it is you just did.

hahaha, this is a priceless piece of advice. And also why i keep a bathing suit in my bag :)
because i meant to do that!

But to answer the question its (like many others) tempo for sure is number 1 for me. Without it i got nothing. Bu tempo doesnt meant to swing real slow or take it back real slow. I think somepeople confuse slow with tempo. Its about being smooth and fluid imo.

Smooth tempo

Keep your right knee bent

Thought with the irons...take a divot in front of the ball. Helps me to make sure I hit down on the ball.

Tempo, tempo and tempo.

This is way off. You need to add another 15 or 20 'tempos'. IMO, 99% of guys start their swing too quickly from the top (I call it lurching or twitching).

Tempo is such a regular part of my mantra, I usually have a little brain room left for another thought such as holding the face off, keep right heel on ground, or whatever other adjustment needs to be made in vitro...

Golden Rule mindset changes with different clubs.

With irons, my one thing is to always make a 90-degree angle with my shoulder to the ball. If I do that, I stay on plane, I have better tempo, I don't rush.

With the driver, it's kinda funny and stupid. In the spring, before I had swung a club at all, I was testing a club at a golf shop. Not swinging in more than 12 months, I got a bit nervous I guess and had people waiting and watching. First three swings: around 60 yards, dead left or right, with a new driver. After that, things clicked and it was 240 and pretty straight.

So now when on the course, when I'm hitting my driver well, it's because I'm able to envision simply trying to hit into that screen dead on and straight.

Whatever works.

Two thoughts for me...Tempo & keep head down... When I do that great things happen

I'll clean this up for the kids, mine is keep your freaking hands out of the shot!

Mine is to never try to fix it in the middle of the round, play what you bring lol.

Mine is to keep my lower body still, and then stay connected through the swing.

It has really helped my game, backswing is shorter but I get much more solid strikes and distance.

Smooth/slow back swing, then accelerate through the ball in the downswing/follow through.
Also I completely agree with not trying out "new" techniques during a round if you haven't practiced them on the range, it does you no good ever.

Back