Expectation management, club fitting...

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
I have been playing hard for the past 12 months with Knight irons. They are worn out. I had them all extended 3/4" before I came to Korea as I am 6'2". They may be cheap crap but I have learned to hit every one of them well (on occasion :banghead:). When I get back to the states next month I am going to a PING top 100 fitter to get custom irons and a driver.

My question, how much better should I expect my game to get with fitted, quality clubs?

Once you learn the clubs and learn to trust them you should save a couple strokes just from the consistency you'll get from gap testing the clubs and having them adjusted for your distances. If gap testing isn't part of your final fitting make sure it is.

Since you're going to a PING fitter make sure to give the i25 and G30 a swing. Both those clubs have very good accuracy for a forgiving head.

Hard to say, as I've never hear of the Knight brand. But, I would expect that you'll probably see an increase in distance and a tighter dispersion. More birdie putts will be in your future, once you get the yardages dialed in.

In my opinion, getting a set that is fit for you is the way to go. I've been playing for 20 years or more with off the rack stuff that I thought would be good for my game. I had to let go of my ego and put the stiff shafts and the 9.5 degree driver in the corner of the garage and find out what would truly benefit my game. The irons I bought were 2 degrees upright off the rack so they all needed adjusted and I needed an extra wrap of tape under all the grips. Now they feel good in my hands and when I set them behind the ball, the lie angle looks perfect. My ball striking is improving and my scores are getting better as well. Wish I would have done the fitting 20 years ago.

Back