Vacation Stops in Gettysburg and Cleveland

knox co mike

Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
We are taking the kids to Gettysburg and working our way home via Cleveland and Sandusky. Going to spend 2 days in Gettysburg (I am a big history buff and the daughters enjoy the paranormal stuff) then we plan on catching the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point on the way home. Any advice on must-see locations or areas to steer clear of??? We haven't ever visited any of the areas and looking for input. Thank you in advance for any input! KCM

We did Gettysburg and DC the summer before last. Was great. We spent about 10 days driving from here to there and back. The CD's for the car at Gettysburg are good and give you a pretty good view of everything that was happening at all the different sites. You've gotta make sure to get out and explore a little bit at the sites. Take the paths to the top of "Big Top" if you can. Climb the tower at one of the stops and look out across the rolling hills. Take lots of pictures. Bring BUG SPRAY, SUN BLOCK and plenty to drink, especially if it's hot. Make sure to also sit and listen to the little seminar/info sessions they have outside the Gettysburg center. They were quite interesting. Enjoy!

Oh, I almost forgot....If you can, make sure to stop at the Flight 93 National Memorial on your way back. It's INCREDIBLE and just breath taking. It's off the highway a bit, but WELL worth the stop!! The stories and emotions are amazing. You'll be glad you made the stop.

Falling Water is a nice stop. Last time I was there they had a nice cafe for a reasonable lunch stop. It's a little off the Turnpike, but a pleasant stop.
http://www.fallingwater.org

My wife and I visited Gettysburg about five years ago before we had kids. Awesome place to visit. Depending on the age of your kids, you may want to try one of the guided tours of the battlefield. You learn a whole lot more when hearing it from a tour guide rather than just yourself. They weren't too expensive if I recall. We also enjoyed Eisenhower farm, which is really close to the battlefield.

I'm jealous. I haven't been the Gettysburg since around 1992-ish. A lot has changed since then (for the better). Huge Civil War buff. Just a bit long of a drive to get to most of the battlefields from Florida. :)

We took a bus tour around the battlefields and they let us get out at the major sites...that was pretty cool...I would recommend that

Vacation Stops in Gettysburg and Cleveland

Somewhere JB and War Eagle are ready to pounce with the #ohiotopia jokes

Thank you for all of your input so far. We are all pumped to head out. We signed up for a 2 hour battlefield tour, through the park service, where a ranger drives your vehicle. They said they can tailor the tour to where you are most interested in checking out. Our daughter has been driving me nuts about a ghost tour as she has been researching all the paranormal happenings. Definitely sounds a little creepy, but with the tremendous loss of life it's bound to be that way.

I have heard so many tourist trap stories about Gettysburg (as a whole) that I wonder what I am getting into. Heard good things about General Pickett's Buffet, The Farnsworth Inn and Horse Soldier. We are going to stop at Shanksville on our way westbound. I offered up the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a visit to Latrobe, but I don't think either will fly.

Thanks again and please continue with suggestions. KCM

You'll enjoy Gettysburg, its really an interesting town. We went there a couple years ago and did some ghost tours while we were there (Im a bit of a paranormal buff) and it was really cool.
Beyond what the others have said, I cant think of much thats must-see. Other than Cleveland, theres really not much in northern Ohio. If you a big M*A*S*H fan, Toledo might be a cool side trip. LOL
Columbus is cool though if you are looking for a little roadtrip, especially if you are into college football. The Horseshoe is something that is a must-see.
IMO, central, eastern and southern Ohio is way better than northern Ohio. Cincy and Columbus are cool. Ive been to Cleveland a couple times and its OK but nothing special. Columbus and Cincy have way more character than Cleveland, IMO.

I'm guessing it's not, but if golf is on the agenda, The Links at Gettysburg is one of the regions best courses, just make sure you have plenty of balls for the back 9, water everywhere you look :)

Back