Question about "custom order" and club fitting

bigmerv

Reaction score
Handicap
I am not sure if this is the right forum, so please move if necessary.

I recently had a club fitting (my first) at a PGA Top 100 club fitter. We had chosen JPX 825 pros and I was fit for standard length, loft and 61 degree lie (which I later found out is also standard for the 6 iron, I was not told this is standard during the fitting/ordering process). The fitter filled out the order sheet to my specs, cost was normal retail plus a modest fee for the fitting session and $17 shipping. I was told they would receive the clubs in about 2 weeks.

I received a phone call a few days ago stating that my clubs "came in early" (6 days total) and that I could pick them up. There was no box or foam or even an order/spec sheet. All I received was the clubs wrapped in a rubber band with the plastic cover on the heads.

This is when I realized that 61 degrees is the standard for lie for the 6 iron. So I was fit for a standard off the rack set of clubs (and that very well may be what I am, and they did have stock when I was there). I decided to ask Mizuno customer support when the manufacture date of my irons was based on the serial number. They responded with a manufacture date of 8/29/2013.

What I am starting to believe happened was I was charged shipping, made to wait a week and then sold a set of irons they already had in the store. Does Mizuno charge shipping for "custom" set of irons to a retailer? Am I looking too much into this or did I get charged shipping for some old stock they had?

Thanks for the insight.

Actually the rubber band is fairly common.
As for the manufacture date, the irons are an older line, so that date would make sense.

Most likely what happened is that the fitter did his job (whether good or not is not in debate), sent in the order, Mizuno had them in stock as standard and sent them out from GA. 3 days shipping time and the clubs arrive.

Seems pretty standard (for lack of a better word) for what was done.

What I am starting to believe happened was I was charged shipping, made to wait a week and then sold a set of irons they already had in the store. Does Mizuno charge shipping for "custom" set of irons to a retailer? Am I looking too much into this or did I get charged shipping for some old stock they had?

You may have been, but I don't personally think $17 is that much to worry about in the grand scheme. However, like you the $17 charge would make me question their business practices enough to not do business with them.

Did you also get stock shafts or did you get an upgrade?

I got the stock DG S300's. I do agree that $17 in the grand scheme of things is nothing, but if I knew in the store I was fit for a stock set of clubs, I could have bought them right then and there and been on the course with them the next day. It really is the principle is this case, as I am wondering If I should ever do business there again.

I got the stock DG S300's. I do agree that $17 in the grand scheme of things is nothing, but if I knew in the store I was fit for a stock set of clubs, I could have bought them right then and there and been on the course with them the next day. It really is the principle is this case, as I am wondering If I should ever do business there again.

Dynamic Gold or the Dynalite Gold XP? The XP is the stock shaft in the JPX.

Actually the rubber band is fairly common.
As for the manufacture date, the irons are an older line, so that date would make sense.

Most likely what happened is that the fitter did his job (whether good or not is not in debate), sent in the order, Mizuno had them in stock as standard and sent them out from GA. 3 days shipping time and the clubs arrive.

Seems pretty standard (for lack of a better word) for what was done.

This. They may not have been in stock in the store, but if Mizuno had them in stock, then the turn around time would be 3-5 business days.

As for the shipping fee, yes there is a fee on all club ordered, custom or stock. Generally companies will cover or discount shipping if a retailer sells x amount of clubs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back