Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

If I like irons, I tend to keep them for a while - and maybe some day I may want to work the ball.

Having said that, are the Apex Pro's too much club for my current skill level?

What do the Apex Pro's offer that the regular Apex do not (or vice versa...)?

FWIW, you can work the ball just fine with the Apex irons.
The difference between the two is forgiveness favor the Apex and they are a bit bigger. Still a smaller iron in nature.

Still holding off gaming these until I get some lighter shafts in them. The Tour-Vs don't give me the launch I'm looking for. Hoping to find some CTL's or Tour 90s to throw in them sometime soon. It's time to make the switch for good.

Imo, there is a significant difference in feel. The Pros have a true forged feel and the regular Apex do not. I assume it's because the Pros are one piece construction.

The pros with the soft stepped CTL are really working well. Even my 5 iron has a mid - high ball flight now and with the proper move I have gained 10 yds. Most is the improved swing mechanics but boy these feel so nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

FWIW, you can work the ball just fine with the Apex irons.
The difference between the two is forgiveness favor the Apex and they are a bit bigger. Still a smaller iron in nature.

I'm with JB here. I had the Apex irons when they first came out and was amazed at how compact the clubs are. It's got a mid-topline and tons of forgiveness. And I do mean A TON. You may lose 15 yards on a toe shot, but it literally has to be on the toe of the club. I was able to work the ball up and down, left and right all day with it.

If you put the recoils in there........watch out because there's going to be a lot of fireworks!.

Shot a 73!!! only broken 80 - 4 times before 3 ,79's and a 75. Holy cow!! of course driver and putter helped but these irons sure didn't hurt!! I know I miss hit them either thin or on the toe sometimes(you can really feel it) but the still go straight. I end up dropping distance on the mishits but usually they keep me out of trouble.

Still really pleased with the Pro's I've been playing all season so far. I'm usually one to have VERY wandering eyes when it comes to clubs, but not the case this year.

They feel great and do anything I ask. Surprisingly forgiving, especially the 5 iron which is probably my favorite of the set.

Shot a 73!!! only broken 80 - 4 times before 3 ,79's and a 75. Holy cow!! of course driver and putter helped but these irons sure didn't hurt!! I know I miss hit them either thin or on the toe sometimes(you can really feel it) but the still go straight. I end up dropping distance on the mishits but usually they keep me out of trouble.

Still really pleased with the Pro's I've been playing all season so far. I'm usually one to have VERY wandering eyes when it comes to clubs, but not the case this year.

They feel great and do anything I ask. Surprisingly forgiving, especially the 5 iron which is probably my favorite of the set.

Testing the pros out tonight, interested in the club itself, and the Tour V shaft as well, so two birds one stone.

Fired a 75 with the Pros yesterday. Never been in the 70s more. Swinging these so well that I have gained some distance over my previous set (i20s). Ball flight, distance control and spin are all awesome. The faces are definitely getting beat up but I am past caring about that.

Fired a 75 with the Pros yesterday. Never been in the 70s more. Swinging these so well that I have gained some distance over my previous set (i20s). Ball flight, distance control and spin are all awesome. The faces are definitely getting beat up but I am past caring about that.

That's seriously my only hang up, the finish. But I only worry about it when I'm not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie to the forum but been reading about apex a while.

Older player (66) who switched to graphite shafts in new ap's half a year or so ago. Like the ap's but spraying the irons more than with older cast irons with steel. Hit the apex at pga ss and gs but didn't see anything on the machines to make me believe they were right for me.

Played with a new player the last few weeks with the apex combo set in f3 recoil shaft. Played out of his bag Saturday with his irons and was blown away. So long, so tight and down the line on sweet spot and slight off center hits. He has two identical sets and sold me his game set Saturday.

Playing with them in my bag tomorrow. He has a 3i apex and a 2i apex pro for me to see which fits my game best. Love these clubs, the 4i was so easy to hit and get airborne even with my low Oklahoma ball flight. Hit it a little on the toe on an over the water par 3 and landed it 15 yes past the pin right on the pin. Got some learning curve to find my yard ages on these beasts but so easy to hit and so forgiving. Picked up between 15 to 20 yards it seems. So nice to be fitting a forged club after leaving them for GI irons, the feel sound and results are blowing me away thus far.

Added the 3i and 2i to my bag today. Super easy to hit, man the ball rockets off the club face. Several memorable shots today with 2i especially and of course it's the apex pro in that model. So pumped about my game with these irons. I see a big jump in results with these unlike others in the past. So far.

Added the 3i and 2i to my bag today. Super easy to hit, man the ball rockets off the club face. Several memorable shots today with 2i especially and of course it's the apex pro in that model. So pumped about my game with these irons. I see a big jump in results with these unlike others in the past. So far.

What sort of difference in distance are you seeing between the 2 and 3?

I've been playing Apex Pro/Apex combo set since April, and I'm loving them. Shot the best round of my life last week...a 67. My only regret is that I bought a combo set. I hate when I have to use the 6-iron (regular Apex), because the 7-iron (Pro) looks and feels so much better. I'm probably going to order an Apex Pro 6-iron to replace the regular Apex. I do like the 5-iron regular Apex. I use it mostly off the tee on shorter holes and it works well.

Anybody else playing a combo set? How do you like it?

I'm seeing about 10-15 yards difference based on the recent acquisition of them. 3i for 195 - 200 yards and 2i for 210. I'm a low ball player and like the 2 for a low trajectory under trees rather than go over them.

i have the combo set and like it a lot at this point, I don't find a performance or noticeable GI difference in the 2i and the 3i. The 3i is apex and 2i is apex pro. I'm hitting f3 shaft in recoils and very happy with them.

Last edited:
I've been playing Apex Pro/Apex combo set since April, and I'm loving them. Shot the best round of my life last week...a 67. My only regret is that I bought a combo set. I hate when I have to use the 6-iron (regular Apex), because the 7-iron (Pro) looks and feels so much better. I'm probably going to order an Apex Pro 6-iron to replace the regular Apex. I do like the 5-iron regular Apex. I use it mostly off the tee on shorter holes and it works well.

Anybody else playing a combo set? How do you like it?

Congrats on the great round.

I've got a combo set--Apex 3-7 Pro 8-PW. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll be honest, I could game either a set of Pros or Apex and be happy. I appreciate the added forgiveness in the long irons of the Apex and like the looks of the Pro a little better, but there really isn't much of a difference looking down at the regular to think they are clunky by any means.

I'm seeing about 10-15 yards difference based on the recent acquisition of them. 3i for 195 - 200 yards and 2i for 210. I'm a low ball player and like the 2 for a low trajectory under trees rather than go over them.

i have the combo set and like it a lot at this point, I don't find a performance or noticeable GI difference in the 2i and the 3i. The 3i is apex and 2i is apex pro. I'm hitting f3 shaft in recoils and very happy with them.

Thanks. I've pondered the Pro 2 iron a bit as another option off the tee when it's windy. The 3 iron is easy enough to hit off the deck that I don't foresee the 2 to be much more difficult either.

Hi all,

First post here, but I'm sure it won't be the last! Having realised that the rocketbladez I got online a number of months back aren't doing anything for me (entirely my fault), I borrowed the demo 6i for a round last week and was seriously impressed. Reading through the whole of this thread, it seems these irons are pretty good and I'm hopefully borrowing a mate's set for a round tomorrow.

Just had a quick question to see what you lot would recommend in terms of bag set up. I currently use just the one hybrid (3w) alongside the driver and have three wedges (two assuming the rbladez sand wedge goes back) - a 54 and 58 degree, both with 8 degrees of bounce. Would anyone who has the approach wedge recommend that as it seems to fit the yardage gap nicely? Also, how easy is the 3i to hit as it would seem the choice is between that or a fairway wood - and I haven't had the best of times with those over the years!

Thanks!

The AW is one that many like and fits the gap nicely.

Hi all,

First post here, but I'm sure it won't be the last! Having realised that the rocketbladez I got online a number of months back aren't doing anything for me (entirely my fault), I borrowed the demo 6i for a round last week and was seriously impressed. Reading through the whole of this thread, it seems these irons are pretty good and I'm hopefully borrowing a mate's set for a round tomorrow.

Just had a quick question to see what you lot would recommend in terms of bag set up. I currently use just the one hybrid (3w) alongside the driver and have three wedges (two assuming the rbladez sand wedge goes back) - a 54 and 58 degree, both with 8 degrees of bounce. Would anyone who has the approach wedge recommend that as it seems to fit the yardage gap nicely? Also, how easy is the 3i to hit as it would seem the choice is between that or a fairway wood - and I haven't had the best of times with those over the years!

Thanks!

Welcome to THP. Hope you enjoy it here. Lots of great stuff going on.

I can't speak to the AW personally, but those who have one seem to really like it. As far as the 3i goes, if you are currently gaming a 3 iron or feel comfortable using one, I think you will find the Apex to be easy to hit. To me, it's forgiving, long, and easy to elevate.

The AW is one that many like and fits the gap nicely.

They Aw is awesome especially if you are hitting full shots.

Welcome to THP. Hope you enjoy it here. Lots of great stuff going on.

I can't speak to the AW personally, but those who have one seem to really like it. As far as the 3i goes, if you are currently gaming a 3 iron or feel comfortable using one, I think you will find the Apex to be easy to hit. To me, it's forgiving, long, and easy to elevate.

Cheers for the response - the AW seems like a good idea and I hate having that huge gap between PW and 54. Will hopefully try the 3i tomorrow - I don't currently use one and haven't had as much success as I'd like with them in the past but I can see it would be a useful addition off the tee. Very excited to try these properly!

Also, probably the wrong place, but what would people recommend as a sand wedge replacement? My current wedges are Cleveland 588s but both with little bounce...

Hi all,

Thanks!

I absolutely love my set AW. Fits my yardage gap perfectly.

In place of the 3 iron I would recommend the 20* x2 hot pro hybrid. Fits in nicely after my 4 iron (about 15-20 yards further)

I absolutely love my set AW. Fits my yardage gap perfectly.

In place of the 3 iron I would recommend the 20* x2 hot pro hybrid. Fits in nicely after my 4 iron (about 15-20 yards further)

Interesting - I have the 19* but haven't really clicked with it thus far. Odd given that my previous, slightly crappy rescue was my go-to shot on a tricky tee. Definitely blaming that on me! Will give both a hit tomorrow then hopefully and get some comparisons :). Cheers for the response.

Interesting - I have the 19* but haven't really clicked with it thus far. Odd given that my previous, slightly crappy rescue was my go-to shot on a tricky tee. Definitely blaming that on me! Will give both a hit tomorrow then hopefully and get some comparisons :). Cheers for the response.

Sounds good! Let us know how you make out!

Sounds good! Let us know how you make out!

Frustratingly, the guy whose set I was going to borrow wasn't in so had to make do with taking the 6i and another set of stiff flex clevelands out for a round. Surprised that with the apex pro, my miss seems to now be a draw/hook rather than the fade/slice it used to be... Then again, I'm making a lot of changes to my swing and my guess is that when I've got an iron that fits my swing (I.e. Not ridiculously light graphite) all the subconscious parts of my swing that are fighting the misfit club combine to make a slight draw. At least, that's what I'm telling myself :)

It's definitely a lovely club though and hits beautifully, so fingers crossed that when I actually get to play the set - in a week or so - it'll be worth the wait!

Back