Trying to Break 80 Club

37/36 - 73 today for my first sub 80 round. A friend last year who manages my local golf shop told me last year that when I break 80 it'll be by a long shot and I can't wait to talk to him about this round. My short game was fantastic today and easily saved me 5-6 strokes today.

Congrats, dude! Awesome stuff.

I am definitely in the trying to break 80 camp. Had my opportunities lately, including an 87 with 6 3-putts last weekend. Clean those up and fix one of 3 or 4 shots around the green and I am there. Also probably the best ball striking round I have ever had in a round about a month ago, and managed to turn a 78-79 into an 84, all from on and around the green. I will get there though!

Breaking 80 was my goal last year and I did it with a 75. Unfortunately I haven't been better than 82 since and have had a few scores in the 90s.

I am definitely in the trying to break 80 camp. Had my opportunities lately, including an 87 with 6 3-putts last weekend. Clean those up and fix one of 3 or 4 shots around the green and I am there. Also probably the best ball striking round I have ever had in a round about a month ago, and managed to turn a 78-79 into an 84, all from on and around the green. I will get there though!

Absolutely you will. And if you want to break the mental barriers, try this.

Record on your scorecard when you were, literally, inches away from being a stroke less. Like you miss a putt by 2 inches. Not feet, but inches. I use a star with a number, like *1 for missing by an inch. At the end of your round, total your stokes. But below that, put your "almost" score as well.

What I find is that some days I was, literally, 12 inches away from a 79 even though my score was an 89. Mentally it's a whole different position to be in. An 89 I'd be a bit discouraged when my goal was to hit in the 70's. But seeing how close I came to the score in actuality gives me a whole different perspective and took off a lot of pressure. I've hit in the 70's twice in the last few weeks doing this, and for me it was more mental than anything.

And then again, some days you just aren't close. When I shoot an 89 and there's not a single star, I know I got lucky as hell I wasn't 90+.

Back in the 70's for the first time this year and im back in STYLE !

I showed up and purchased the Nike Method Mod 60 10 minutes before i teed off, hit the first green in reg and holed a 20 footer with the Method. Im in love already !

It was one of those days, everything went where i imagined and if it didnt i got lucky. Had a few lucky breaks which included a thinned wedge to a 130 yard par 3 which ended up inside 10 feet. The golfing gods were with me out there today :act-up: Ended up with 8 GIRS and my best round by 4 shots with a 74, a 74 !!

Now to find the game to start doing this on a weekly basis. Damn this game makes you feel good at times.

I did it again yesterday at Dragon Ranch in Amherst, OH, I love this course $30 for 18 and a cart on the weekend is a great deal and my best there was 81 early this season, I started out with a bogey on a easy hole then on #2 I hit one in the water, after dropping and taking a stroke I chipped it over the green and thought great another bad day at Dragon Ranch but I chipped it in for a bogey and from there things changed but the last heartbreak was on #7 as I was sitting 140 yds out after my drive and proceeded to double bogey that hole but I ended up with 2 birdies on the front and one was a 40 ft right to left breaker that I drained on #9 for a 38, then back was 4 pars and 5 bogey's for a 40 and 78 total... I was very happy as I thought it was going to be a miserable round after the first two holes.

I have shot 80's, 81's and 82's this year. Just cant eliminate those few holes where I just forget what I am doing. Those doubles hurt. I played Chippewa Golf Club a few weeks ago and shot 1 over on the front and 10 over on the back for 83. Just couldn't keep my drives in the fairway. Like I said, I forgot what I did on the front. I didn't walk away crying. Just walked away knowing it should have been better.

Many rounds in the 70's but this is a first!

dbe0c3.jpg

Got halfway there tonight, broke 40 for nine for the first time with a 39.

Three 78's this year, but my goal is to beat my personal best 76 this summer. I've been well on my way a few times this month, but keep having at least one big score on my card. I've had a quad in each of my last 3 rounds and still managed to shoot 82 and below. I usually lose it with my second shots, but I will throw in a duck hook off the tee just for good measure.

Any tips on avoiding the big number?

Three 78's this year, but my goal is to beat my personal best 76 this summer. I've been well on my way a few times this month, but keep having at least one big score on my card. I've had a quad in each of my last 3 rounds and still managed to shoot 82 and below. I usually lose it with my second shots, but I will throw in a duck hook off the tee just for good measure.

Any tips on avoiding the big number?

Try a new course, for me the key to breaking into the 70's and eventually shooting a new life time low (I shot even par) was finding courses I could attack. Just as the pros, there are courses that suit your game and courses that do not.

I snuck in with a 78 today. This is the 4th time I needed a par on 18 to break 80, the previous 3 times I put one in the water and finished with a double bogey for an 81. It was nice to finish strong this time with a birdie!

I snuck in with a 78 today. This is the 4th time I needed a par on 18 to break 80, the previous 3 times I put one in the water and finished with a double bogey for an 81. It was nice to finish strong this time with a birdie!

Whoot Congrats!!!

Could have bogeyed for a 79, right?

Well done! Just in time to put the game to the #THPMC test.

Try a new course, for me the key to breaking into the 70's and eventually shooting a new life time low (I shot even par) was finding courses I could attack. Just as the pros, there are courses that suit your game and courses that do not.

I think I may have to give that a try. I love my course, but maybe performing on a different track could give me something.

77 Today - 2 Doubles, 1 Bogey, 1 Birdie! On my way there!

broke through for personal best today...

shot 100 at Pasatiempo last Saturday. Got back out on my home course and went 40/39 for a 79. ESC of 78. First time breaking 80.

My triple was a result of stupidly trying to tinker to 'make things better' on the course. I think I have learned my lesson and the only thing I'll be focusing on while playing is tempo. Save the adjustments for the range. We'll see.

attachment.php

broke through for personal best today...

shot 100 at Pasatiempo last Saturday. Got back out on my home course and went 40/39 for a 79. ESC of 78. First time breaking 80.

My triple was a result of stupidly trying to tinker to 'make things better' on the course. I think I have learned my lesson and the only thing I'll be focusing on while playing is tempo. Save the adjustments for the range. We'll see.

attachment.php

Yeah buddy! Well done man, that is awesome!

Shot a lousey front 9, but made 7 pars on back ... for a 38 (nothing different except I made stellar approach shots - hit practically all GIR's on back & if I missed the green, it wasn't far off). I've never been able to hold it together for an entire round and break the 80 glass ceiling ...

Now that I have had a few rounds under 90 it is time for a new thread. Hopefully gonna get out Saturday.

Now that I have had a few rounds under 90 it is time for a new thread. Hopefully gonna get out Saturday.
I'm right there with you. Shot an 88 last week with a 9 on a par 5. Ouch

Shot a 90 from the blues today at Rossmoor golf course. A lot of elevated greens make things challenging. Was not sharp with my irons and I am hooking my driver like nobody's business.

Shot 77 today in a match on my homecourse.

Had a couple of mishits, didn't chip well, but my putter saved me quite a few times.

Handicap now @ 10.3

Back