Club Champion Boston Fitting Review

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
A new location of Club Champion opened a couple of months ago in the Boston area. They ran a "grand opening" special through Father's Day that fittings could be purchased for half off. After some subtle hints on my part, my wife came through with an awesome Father's Day gift for me: a full bag fitting at that facility. So after chatting with the guys over at Club Champion, I made my appointment for my fitting a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, a little about my game: I finally became a single digit handicap last year. However, since my son was born last fall, my opportunities to play have dropped off, I probably have 1 day a week now to play or practice. Stock shot is a draw, play my 8 iron as my 150 yard club. Good carry distance with my driver would be somewhere around 240. I can hit the ball fairly high with most of my clubs, but would not call myself a high spin player. Putting and short game is the strength of my game, and I feel that my driving is the worst part of my game. I had not had a fitting since 2011, but was lucky to get new gear via participating in the Morgan Cup in the past 3 years. To be honest, I had used a lot of educated guessing in the past 2 years to pick the gear that I was playing. Goal of my fitting: figure out whether my driver and other long clubs were good fits for me, and try to figure out if I could play some slightly more forgiving irons because I'm not playing as much as in the past.

I walked into the facility and was greeted by Ted, who is one of the 2 main fitters there. I recognized him because he used to work at the Golfsmith near me. Anyways, we talked a little about my game, and he knew of the Morgan Cup and THP which was cool. He told me that most people split their full bag fitting into 2 days, but I told him that I wanted to do everything in one day. Coming off of a night where I got about 3 hours of sleep, this would prove to be a bad decision.

We started off with my irons because I feel most comfortable with those clubs right now. The setup is indoors, so you're hitting balls into a screen off of a really good quality mat, with a Trackman set up to record every shot. The Trackman is a big part of the fitting, because they really focus on the smash factor of each club. Smash factor is ball speed divided by club head speed, and is a measure of energy transfer from the club to the ball. Their focus is on fitting for shaft first, and they want to get you into the iron shaft that gives you the highest average smash factor, and then find a head that will pair well with the shaft. The setup at Club Champion is unlike any fitting center I've ever been to: they have basically every iron head that you would want to hit, and every iron shaft that you would want to hit, and they mix and match them. The same setup is present for woods and hybrids. It's pretty cool because you're not at the mercy of what is provided on a fitting cart by each OEM.

After hitting a few shots with my gamer 6 iron (Bridgestone DPC with PXi 6.0 softstepped), Ted had the baseline data that we would work off of. He picked a head that he thought was close to my current club (in this case, Taylormade TP CB) and then we started testing shafts. My smash factor was pretty good with my gamer, usually between 1.38-1.40. I tried a few different steel shafts and couldn't get a smash factor that high, which included KBS Tour V and DG Pro. There were a couple of other iron shafts that I honestly can't remember, and then we moved to the Aerotech Steelfiber i95 in stiff flex, which gave me a smash factor even higher than my gamer. I loved the "pop" that the shaft gave me, and the balance of the shaft was really good as well. After that, we ran through a bunch of different iron heads: Callaway Apex, Titleist AP2, Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, Nike Covert Forged, Taylormade SLDR, Cobra Bio Cell+, Cleveland 588 TT, Ping i25. The top 3 clubs I hit on this day with the Steelfiber shaft were the SLDR, Covert Forged and i25. I hit the longest shots with the Covert Forged, but also hit some stinkers. The i25 was a pretty good club, but the overall distance and dispersion of the SLDR won out. I wanted to like the Apex, but the balance just wasn't right. Cool part of the iron fitting: when I was hitting shots with the SLDR, they were going a bit further left than I liked. Ted got out out a lie board and figured out the club was too upright for me. He took the club, went over to a Mitchell machine, bent the club a degree flat, then handed it back to me. After that: boom, straighter shots! It was awesome that we could make that switch so quickly.

After that, we went to the wedge fitting, which was honestly a bit disappointing. They only had a few wedges sitting in a staff bag in the corner of the facility. There was no ability to swap out shafts either, and a limited amount of lofts in each wedge. Out of the wedges available, I liked the Titleist SM5 the best, but that was mainly because of the shape of the wedge since they only had 56 and 60 degree wedges in that club and I don't play either of those lofts. Plus, a wedge fitting indoors is basically limited to full shots anyways. It was the low point of the fitting, but not the fitter's fault at all.

Next up, we went to the putting section. They have a SAM putting lab setup, where a sensor is hooked up to the shaft of your current putter. You hit 7 putts from about 8-10 feet away from the hole, and then it spits out a ton of data on your putting stroke, tempo, where the contact occurs on the face, and other stuff that honestly I didn't understand. So I get up there and make all 7 putts with my Bettinardi BB54, which is a high MOI putter. Ted was really surprised when the data was spit out and it said that I had a good bit of rotation in my stroke and I would be better with a putter that had a good bit of toe hang in it (think Anser style). We did try out a Bettinardi BB1F which felt nice, but I just wasn't confident with it. The most important thing is that the sensor spit out that at impact, I only have 2 degrees of actual loft on my putter and it needed to be about a degree more. So Ted took my putter and bent it a bit to increase the loft. We made the choice not to consider changing my putter since I was comfortable with it.

We went back into the hitting bay to start the long game fitting, but after about 15 minutes, it was clear that I was making terrible swings and not finding the center of the clubface at all. What's worse is that my swing speed numbers were around 96-99 mph, which shocked me because I was clocked around 102-104 mph in 2012 and 2013. So of course, I tried to start swinging harder and that made my numbers even worse. We decided at that point to split the fitting into 2 sessions, so I booked the second session for this past Monday. Part 2 to come.....

So I decided to get a bit more sleep before my second fitting day. I met up with Ted again and we got started after I warmed up with my 8 iron. In the few driver swings that were actually worth a crap in the first fitting session, we had figured out that low spin heads were better for me than high spin heads. That made sense because I had really good numbers with my current gamer, which is known as a low spin driver. But I knew that when my swing was off, the J40 driver wasn't great for me, so I wanted something a little more forgiving. I will admit, we ran through a number of driver shafts that I didn't know all that much about. From what I can remember, I hit an ATTAS shaft, multiple Oban shafts, a couple of Fujikura shafts, and my old favorite, the Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6. All of this was done in a Cobra Bio Cell+ head, but nothing really clicked for me until I hit a Diamana B Series 60 shaft in stiff flex. The first swing I took, I blurted out "holy crap, that was crushed" after I hit the ball, and then proceeded to run off another 3-4 shots like that. I got over the fact that my swing speed was still in the 97-99 mph range when I saw the ball speed and smash factor, along with what that meant for the carry and total yardage. I probably gained 5-10 yards of carry from my current gamer. A picture of the data from one of my best swings:

IMG_20140721_142147346_HDR.jpg

I had tried a couple of other heads as well, but nothing was as good as the Cobra Bio Cell+. I didn't hit as many driver heads as I had in the irons, but Ted told me that I was just a more difficult fit with the irons, and that the numbers were pretty much optimized with the Bio Cell+ so it was good that we found that one quicker. The blue color of the Diamana shaft with the blue head in the Bio Cell+ should look sick.

We moved onto my fairway wood after that, but it's the one long club in my bag that I feel really comfortable with. To be honest, I wasn't looking at changing this club, and after hitting a few different combos apart from my gamer, there was nothing out there that gave me demonstrably better numbers than my current 3 wood, so that's staying in my bag.

Hybrids were next, and again, we started with different hybrid shafts in the same head. We thought the Oban Revenge shaft was the best one for me, but I was curious about particular heads, so I asked Ted what he liked out of all of the current models. He thought the X2Hot hybrids from Callaway were the hottest faces out there. I tried the standard X2Hot but the weight of the head was way too light for me, so we moved to the X2Hot Pro and that was so much better for me. I decided to stay in that head and test shafts again....lo and behold, the stock shaft in this club, Aldila Tour Green, was the best fit! Moral of the story: sometimes stock shafts are good fits in a particular club!

My curiosity got the best of me after that, and I was fortunate that Ted's next fitting was running late. I told him that I wanted to go back through a few iron heads to make sure my initial fit was still good. I had been doing some work on my swing between the first fitting session and the second fitting session, so I wanted to see if the numbers would be different this time around. When I hit my gamer 6-iron again, the smash factor was again pretty good with my club, so I told him I wanted to compare the Steelfiber i95 to the PXi 6.0 in 3 different heads: SLDR (the initial winner), Apex (honestly because so many people have had success with them), and Covert Forged (remembered the bombs that I hit in the first session). What was interesting is that the performance of the PXi was better than the Steelfiber on this day, and the SLDR just wasn't as good as the Covert Forged and the Apex. The numbers were REALLY similar between those 2 clubs, but the Covert Forged just wanted to go left on me a little more than the Apex. I stuck around and hit more shots with the Apex/PXi combo and felt more comfortable with each one. This data is from a controlled 6 iron swing, it doesn't get much better than this:

BtFlA2HCEAAFpqX.jpg

One other thing about the fitting process overall: Club Champion pays a good bit of attention to swingweight. Their proprietary adapter system makes every club have a slightly higher swingweight than a "standard" setup would be, but we found that higher swingweights worked better for me. The Bio Cell+/Diamana combo came out to 45.5 inches and was at D8! I don't want to play a driver that long, so they can build it at 44.75 inches and get the swingweight around D4. The irons and hybrids also spec'ed out at D4, whereas the standard swingweight of the Apex irons and X2Hot Pro hybrids are D2. The heavier swingweights help me keep the club on plane better and also helps with my tempo. It makes so much sense now that I struggled with some clubs in the recent years that were stressing the lightweight concept to increase swing speed.

Finally, if you are considering a fitting with Club Champion: if you buy your clubs through them, they assemble all of the clubs themselves at one of their facilities in Chicago. They buy all of the clubs and shafts separately and put them together. So you're going to pay for the clubs and the shafts if you don't get fit into a stock setup, since they take the stock shafts out of the clubs they purchase from the OEMs and then install the shafts that you got fit for. That can get pretty pricey, I was a bit shocked when I saw the total of everything I got fitted for. Since PXi are a no-cost upgrade from Callaway, I may go straight through them for the irons, though I'm a bit nervous that they may not be able to build those irons at a D4 swingweight....but if they can, that would be a big savings over Club Champion. On the other hand, I could go through Club Champion and definitely have all of my specs from the fitting get done, so it's an issue I'm debating in my head right now.

If you got to the end of this, go drink a beer or something. Here's the TL;DR version:
Pros: Endless selection of shafts and clubs, Trackman data on every shot, ability to split fittings up into multiple days, no-pressure environment.
Cons: Indoor fitting (can't see ballflight), limited wedge/putter selections, prices of clubs built by Club Champion can be expensive.

Last edited:
Just bumping this for the morning crew since I posted it late last night.

That is a awesome write up, will definitely keep them in mind, hoping to get a full bag fitting next spring

great write-up

So what was the summary of everything you got fitted for? You going to buy everything?

Great writeup Amol. Sounds like a ton of fun. I'm looking to do something similar to a club champion...eventually...and this Boston location is the closest to me in Albany (I believe).

Thanks for the post! Great detail. Just curious, you said you hadn't been fitted for a few years, how did your old fitting compare, by that I mean, how were you fit before. My last fitting was a while ago and I'm likely going to upgrade in the next 6 months. My last fitting was a lie board and impact tape. How times have changed.

Great write up Ary. It really sounds like you had a good experience with this fitting. Curious to see what you end with in the bag after all this.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experiences. Seems to be right in line with what others have written about Club Champion. Let us know how things go with the new clubs once you get them.

So what was the summary of everything you got fitted for? You going to buy everything?

Not sure yet. Of course, the round immediately after the fitting, I was crushing my driver, so I'm now hesitating on that one. But it's either the driver or irons first, we'll see. I'm not sure at this point, but I'm going to decide in the next week or so. I know this may sound crazy to some on here, but I went into this fitting trying to find stuff that I could keep in the bag for a long time. While the cost of purchasing the clubs may be on the higher end, I want this stuff to stay in the bag for 2-3 years instead of constantly buying new stuff and rotating it in and out of my bag.

Thanks for the post! Great detail. Just curious, you said you hadn't been fitted for a few years, how did your old fitting compare, by that I mean, how were you fit before. My last fitting was a while ago and I'm likely going to upgrade in the next 6 months. My last fitting was a lie board and impact tape. How times have changed.

Fitting in 2011 was at a TaylorMade Performance Lab about 45 minutes outside of Boston. While they had a lot of cool technology during the indoor portion of that fitting, all of the outdoor stuff was based on looking at ballflight without a lot of launch monitor data. While I think that I swing better outdoors than indoors, I really liked having all the Trackman data available during this fitting because I understand a lot of those numbers and am a swing geek when it comes to that stuff. I think that in 2011, I was fit for slightly longer irons than standard (maybe 1/2 an inch?) and standard lie angle, but this time it was standard length and 1 degree flat or something like that. I'm lucky in that my specs are never too far off from standard.

One other thing about this fitting: even though there was a ton of technology involved and data to work with, feel of a club/shaft and how I was swinging played a big role too. There were times where I would take a couple of swings testing a shaft and turn to Ted and say "I can't say why this doesn't feel good, but I just don't like it" and we were done with that club, no matter what the numbers said. There was also multiple times where Ted would tell me that he didn't like the way my swing looked while swinging a particular setup, he could tell I was fighting that setup in a way. So for people that aren't into the numbers all that much, there's still a subjective part of the fitting that goes into it.

Great write up of your experience. Sounds like a good location and fitter. GL getting the new clubs together.

Club Champion Boston Fitting Review

One other thing about this fitting: even though there was a ton of technology involved and data to work with, feel of a club/shaft and how I was swinging played a big role too. There were times where I would take a couple of swings testing a shaft and turn to Ted and say "I can't say why this doesn't feel good, but I just don't like it" and we were done with that club, no matter what the numbers said. There was also multiple times where Ted would tell me that he didn't like the way my swing looked while swinging a particular setup, he could tell I was fighting that setup in a way. So for people that aren't into the numbers all that much, there's still a subjective part of the fitting that goes into it.
I really like the sound of this. I went through a driver and iron fitting from a small independent with not a lot of options, and I'm pretty sure both of the things you describe here happened to me, but neither I, nor him spoke up.

As for the price, when I went through mine it was ridiculous. For example, he was unable to buy just Mizuno heads, so he'd have to buy the whole set (grip, shaft, club) from Mizuno, then reshaft with my preferred shaft choice (recoil); and the price he quoted me was about $2,300...for 8 irons.

He was nice enough to eat the labor charge in that quote though. F his $50 labor charge....

Last edited:
I really like the sound of this. I went through a driver and iron fitting from a small independent with not a lot of options, and I'm pretty sure both of the things you describe here happened to me, but neither I, nor him spoke up.

As for the price, when I went through mine it was ridiculous. For example, he was unable to buy just Mizuno heads, so he'd have to buy the whole set (grip, shaft, club) from Mizuno, then reshaft with my preferred shaft choice (recoil); and the price he quoted me was about $2,300...for 8 irons.

He was nice enough to eat the labor charge in that quote though. F his $50 labor charge....

Thats insane for a set of 8 irons. comes out to 287.5 an iron!!!

Thats insane for a set of 8 irons. comes out to 287.5 an iron!!!
My quote for a driver and fairway was $958--and I wasn't convinced the guy knew what he was doing fitting wise.

Really enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you found some good matches and it really has me excited to do a legit driver fitting soon haha.

Great write up

Love reading these fitting recaps - I haven't been through one in 4+ years, and now I'm pondering...

Also, interesting that you were able to go back and re-try the iron fitting a bit more, and find a fit that you feel better about. That's good stuff, right there. You raised the only downside I see with Club Champion (and some other high-end fitting options), with the overall cost of the buy/build. Yes, you can use other avenues to purchase/build the spec'd equipment, and save a good bit. But, there is that little guy sitting on a shoulder, saying, "But, if you spend the extra at CC, they'll build it exactly like you tested it." It's potentially a much larger outlay of cash, but I can understand the pull to spend the extra for the buy/build.

Awesome writeup Ary, there are several of those fitting centers around Chicago and always considered going there. I have heard great things. My golf has been limited as well but my clubs still seem to work perfect for me when I get out so I'm not going to try to mess with anything now. Next time I need to make some changes I am definitely going there though!

So that's what a real club fitting should look like. A lot different than the one I went to which basicly looked at lie angle and shaft stiffness. Sounds like a lot of fun with a knowledgeable fitter. Thanks for the write up.

Love reading these fitting recaps - I haven't been through one in 4+ years, and now I'm pondering...

Also, interesting that you were able to go back and re-try the iron fitting a bit more, and find a fit that you feel better about. That's good stuff, right there. You raised the only downside I see with Club Champion (and some other high-end fitting options), with the overall cost of the buy/build. Yes, you can use other avenues to purchase/build the spec'd equipment, and save a good bit. But, there is that little guy sitting on a shoulder, saying, "But, if you spend the extra at CC, they'll build it exactly like you tested it." It's potentially a much larger outlay of cash, but I can understand the pull to spend the extra for the buy/build.

The last paragraph that you wrote describes EXACTLY what I'm struggling with in my head right now. It's a dilemma.

Awesome writeup Ary, there are several of those fitting centers around Chicago and always considered going there. I have heard great things. My golf has been limited as well but my clubs still seem to work perfect for me when I get out so I'm not going to try to mess with anything now. Next time I need to make some changes I am definitely going there though!

Bradd, I'm feeling the same way! I've played 2 rounds total in the past 6 weeks, and I felt like my equipment was pretty good during both of those rounds. Still, the allure of new clubs is pretty strong right now...

The last paragraph that you wrote describes EXACTLY what I'm struggling with in my head right now. It's a dilemma.

The question for me would be, "Will this be my gamer setup for the next few years?" Right now, I enjoy new stuff too much, so the extra buy/build dollars would be difficult to justify. On the other hand, if you can be fine with that "perfect" setup for a few seasons, maybe it's less of an obstacle.

Did you request your spec sheet? That's what I did so I knew all the dimensions of each club we tested.

Taps away

Did you request your spec sheet? That's what I did so I knew all the dimensions of each club we tested.

Taps away

They emailed it to me immediately after the second session was done. So I've got that stuff on file. If I do purchase the clubs I was fitted for, it's going to be because I want that stuff to stay in my bag for a while.

Back