Outside-in and spinning front foot out

joshb_

Reaction score
Handicap
I am fairly new to this game and I have a pretty bad pull slice that I would like to get corrected.
After watching a few videos of myself I believe the reason is due to a outside-in swing and spinning my front foot out. Are there any good drills or mental thoughts that I can concentrate on to help correct my stroke?

Besides the terrible downswing, does my back-swing look to be correct?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
It looks to me like you hit it right where you were aimed. The front foot not moving is an easy fix. I would get to work with some alignment sticks if I was you.

I did some work at the range last night and I feel like my weight transfer is a little better now. I still have a bit of slice from outside-in down swing.

Maybe I should try to shorten my back swing?? Should my left elbow be a bit straighter at the top of my swing?

First off not bad , second best to get one on one professional help if you are new . Learning on here without a background or a few years of golf under your belt is futile and too hard to do . Not being a jerk , I just personally feel the one on one experience would really benefit you . When you post a swing , especially as a newbie , you will be bombarded with a million ways to do this. Which could be bad and actually disastrous . One on one for a whole my friend

Outside-in and spinning front foot out

There's definitely an over the top move into the ball.

tezydyva.jpg

You're also straightening your right leg a lot.

ugabehy7.jpg

I know from experience, when that happens, your weight gets stuck on the left side. Keep that flex and it will free up your lower body to drive the swing. Also, keep the left heel down on the ground as much as possible.

First off not bad , second best to get one on one professional help if you are new . Learning on here without a background or a few years of golf under your belt is futile and too hard to do . Not being a jerk , I just personally feel the one on one experience would really benefit you . When you post a swing , especially as a newbie , you will be bombarded with a million ways to do this. Which could be bad and actually disastrous . One on one for a whole my friend

I have already done 4 hours of professional lessons (my swing used to be MUCH worse). As soon as the lesson is over and I don't have someone right behind me I go right back to my old ways :(

Also dont feel bad about picking up those range balls a few feet infront of you there. I always follow the 10 foot rule haha. But really i think a few lessons with a pro could get you straitened out for sure.

When you swing across the line like that , you have to be very talented to bring the club from the inside . When you have problems at the bottom : usually the top is where to look . Club should be more down the line and not across. . Across makes you pull down steep . Where being set at the top correctly gives you a better and proper head start into impact . again my 2 cents from a causal observer . We all want to help , but stick with the lessons and don't give up on it . Took me 3 years as a youth to consistently just get the ball in the air , but I never gave up . And I'm crazier than ever now , kinda like a rebel :) ..

Also dont feel bad about picking up those range balls a few feet infront of you there. I always follow the 10 foot rule haha. But really i think a few lessons with a pro could get you straitened out for sure.

Why stop at 10 feet .. Heck , if I don't get hit by a ball or caught , make it a 75 yard rule . :)

When you swing across the line like that , you have to be very talented to bring the club from the inside . When you have problems at the bottom : usually the top is where to look . Club should be more down the line and not across. . Across makes you pull down steep . Where being set at the top correctly gives you a better and proper head start into impact . again my 2 cents from a causal observer . We all want to help , but stick with the lessons and don't give up on it . Took me 3 years as a youth to consistently just get the ball in the air , but I never gave up . And I'm crazier than ever now , kinda like a rebel :) ..

As my budget allows for more pro lessons I will invest!

Really , for just starting , you actually look pretty good . So you are doing more right than wrong and are well ahead of the game

Really , for just starting , you actually look pretty good . So you are doing more right than wrong and are well ahead of the game

Thank you. The couple 1 hour group lessons I took really helped get me started. When it comes to any sport I am very hard on myself and golf has been no different.
I am looking forward to the day that I do not spend most of my round hitting my second shot from the rough and trees.

Definitely keep listening to your instructor. One thing I noticed is you something I fight and like to call "trying to hit it". It is when I feel that I "try" to hit the ball and I can feel the tension in my shoulders and arms pulling on the club instead of letting my body do most of the work. Similar to starting you downswing with your hands instead of your hips. Arms get too involved and cast away from my body.

As my budget allows for more pro lessons I will invest!

I saw you were hitting at Big Oak. I took a couple of lessons from Bill Walsh right there at the range and he was extremely helpful. I believe he still works there, so I would try to set something up one-on-one with him.

I saw you were hitting at Big Oak. I took a couple of lessons from Bill Walsh right there at the range and he was extremely helpful. I believe he still works there, so I would try to set something up one-on-one with him.

The group lessons I took had both Bill and Rob Kohler as instructors. Both of them are great teachers and very helpful.

Back