Countdown to The Gauntlet

Finally getting a chance to look at this thread again, here are some quick notes on each hole that I haven't commented on:

#4: Long par 4 where being on the right is better than the left, I think that it's OB down the left with the houses being there. The green is pitched from back to front, the pin was in the back for the Invitational so it was tough to get close to it.

#5: You can take less than driver on this hole, the 150 pole is a good aiming point off of the tee. Take a little more club on the approach to get over the big bunker that fronts the green.

#6: I was just off the green to the right in 2 shots on this hole. I was able to hit a nice power fade to about 210 out and then hit a hybrid just right of the green. The longer you can hit the ball off of the tee, the more you need to be able to fade it to have it stay in the fairway otherwise you're going to miss the fairway left and there's not a ton of room until you get into the junk on that side of the fairway. If you go for it in 2, you actually need to be able to hit a draw to avoid the giant bunker front-left of the green unless you can fly it all the way onto the green (which I could not with the hybrid). On the other hand, it's a pretty short par 5 if you want to play it as a 3-shot hole.

#7: A beast of a par 4 that runs parallel to #4, so more room (again) to miss on the right as compared to the left. I seem to remember that the drop-off to the right of the green is pretty severe, but not as bad on the left where the 2 bunkers are located. It was definitely a driver, then long iron/hybrid hole back in March.

#8: Another hole where a fade is a good shot to have since the green is angled front-left to back-right. I tried to hit a fade and then hit a double-cross and ended up in the junk behind the green, it was NOT a good place to be in. Trust the yardage to the middle of the green and try to hit it there, then take your 2-putt par and run to the next tee.

#9: What I remember is that from a visual standpoint, the view off of the tee didn't seem as narrow as it is pictured above. HOWEVER, what Greg Kulbick and I found out is that if you miss the fairway on either side, there's not very much room at all until you get into the trees or worse. On the layup, the picture looks like you can lay up at 100 yards and be fine, but it feels like the left side of the fairway slopes down towards the water, it's safer to go for a layup at the 120 yard mark. Personally, I think it's much more of a 3-shot hole than #6 even though the distances are similar, and it's because of the tight tee shot and the water in front of the green.

#10: Dogleg left par 4 that I played badly back in March. Going further right on the tee shot will leave you with a little longer second shot, but a better angle into the green. The green isn't huge, but it's not all that challenging with no bunkers or water around the green. Putting the ball in the fairway is the key on this hole.

#11: We played it from the 132 yard tees and it seemed like a pretty straightforward par 3, just avoid the huge trap on the left. Playing this hole from the tips would make it a much different hole.

Tomorrow's hole will cause some puckering.

#11....I think that is where I finally got to hit a Apex w/ a Recoil in it. That's all I remember.
yes you did JB was with us on that hole

43 days till the Guantlet! Here is hole #12 from that devious Arthur Hills.

Ol' Arthur may call this hole fun. I call it a pain in the butt. Your tee shot starts out over water. Right is all wet everywhere on this hole. The picture may seem like you can play to the left side of the fairway so your approach isn't over water but that isn't really the case. Short or anywhere right of the actual putting surface is wet. The green slopes toward the water.

43 days till the Guantlet! Here is hole #12 from that devious Arthur Hills.

Ol' Arthur may call this hole fun. I call it a pain in the butt. Your tee shot starts out over water. Right is all wet everywhere on this hole. The picture may seem like you can play to the left side of the fairway so your approach isn't over water but that isn't really the case. Short or anywhere right of the actual putting surface is wet. The green slopes toward the water.
Arthur really loves to challenge doesnt he...this one looks tricky

I played that 12th hole horribly. Two balls in the water. Tee shot was fine, just a little left. Big slicer into the water for second. Move up, take drop, rinse wash repeat. Another slicer into water.

Now that I'm hitting a consistent draw I'd like to tackle this hole again.

I did something similar. Tee shot blocked right in the water trying to play safe. I was thankful for the shamble format on the back nine as my partner saved us. Then I hit my next shot fat in the water. After a drop, I barely made it over.

That drawing makes that hole look a lot easier than it looks when you're standing on the box. I think me and Amol both hit the fairway, but I pulled my second shot way left into the woods just short of the green. Took a drop on the far side of the path and had horrible pitch that didn't even get to the green. Pretty sure I took a 7. Just do yourselves a favor and aim at the 150 marker. I mean, try to hug the right side and go for broke. Close your eyes and swing as hard as you can.

That drawing makes that hole look a lot easier than it looks when you're standing on the box. I think me and Amol both hit the fairway, but I pulled my second shot way left into the woods just short of the green. Took a drop on the far side of the path and had horrible pitch that didn't even get to the green. Pretty sure I took a 7. Just do yourselves a favor and aim at the 150 marker. I mean, try to hug the right side and go for broke. Close your eyes and swing as hard as you can.

We were awful on that hole. You forget that I pulled my drive WAY left and we used your tee shot that was in the fairway, but like 180-190 out. From there, I proceeded to hit a ball in the water and took a 7 as well.

Hills must have a fetish for this type of hole because there seems to be one on all of his courses. #5, our 2 handicap hole, is a very similar layout except dogleg left. Very much target golf. Pick your distance and club for that distance, hit it there, and ignore the trouble. Its easier said than done, but the visuals will eat you up if ya let them. I keep getting more and more excited for this event!

We were awful on that hole. You forget that I pulled my drive WAY left and we used your tee shot that was in the fairway, but like 180-190 out. From there, I proceeded to hit a ball in the water and took a 7 as well.
I think every one of our foursome took a 7 there.

Amid the awesome Morgan Cup live update thread viewing, I had to steal myself away to post here. There are only 42 days left till the Gauntlet. Here is another one of the Arthur Hills "fun" holes, #13.

Do what it says and favor the left side off the tee. I was just barely in bounds on the right after clipping trees and there is nothing good over there. The fairway does narrow and it seems narrower because it is kind of like a half pipe. The approach is over water and the green has a massive ridge in the middle with the back upper tier and the front lower tier sloping toward the water. You'll want to be on the correct tier, otherwise it is three putt city.

I commend you for being able to keep your focus on MC kick-off day!

This definitely a three shot hole. You want a short club in your hand when you're going for the green. Like Will says, if the pin is in the front and you're up top, three putting is the least of your worries with the bottom tier sloping towards the water.

Looks like another doozy. Defently a 3 shot hole, these greens seem very well slopped am I correct?

Many of them are sloped and tiered. IIRC, there's a par 3 on the back with has a bearitz-ish type green.

Many of them are sloped and tiered. IIRC, there's a par 3 on the back with has a bearitz-ish type green.
Thats Greg, I was thinking many are like that. Should be a true test of your short game.

13 was a bit wider off of the tee than the picture makes it out to be, but there was no way that I was going for that green in 2 even though I hit a decent drive. You want a wedge in your hand on your 3rd shot. There is more room down the left to miss the fairway than down the right.

Don't listen to Amol, this course is even narrower than the pics show. This course is scary. Boogedy boogedy.

It is really easy to shoot mid to upper 90s here. There aren't many gimme holes

Don't listen to Amol, this course is even narrower than the pics show. This course is scary. Boogedy boogedy.
Be scared, broham, you ain't on my team. :mad-tongue:

There are 41 days till the Gauntlet now. Watching the Morgan Cup update thread is getting me in the mood. Here is hole #14 of the Hills course.
Hills15_zps4320c7fc.jpg
[/IMG]
Dogleg left par four where the second shot plays longer than it seems. The green slopes back to front and there is a big drop off behind the green. Watch out for the gators in the pond.

War Eagle from my iPad

There are 41 days till the Gauntlet now. Watching the Morgan Cup update thread is getting me in the mood. Here is hole #14 of the Hills course.

Dogleg left par four where the second shot plays longer than it seems. The green slopes back to front and there is a big drop off behind the green. Watch out for the gators in the pond.

War Eagle from my iPad
Is this the hole with the three baby gators?

Is this the hole with the three baby gators?

Yes it is. At least those were the one that I saw.

War Eagle from my iPhone

Back