Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Had a range session Monday evening with the Apex. Still feeling these out. My main miss was a big push, which is a little unusual. Ball flight was higher than the AP2s, but I still have more confidence with the AP2s, though it is still early in the shootout. Another Apex range session, tonight, after which I'll be deciding on which set to game in a round this Friday and tournament on Saturday. Apex will be gamed on Sunday, regardless of Friday/Saturday.

that's funny the AP2 and the Apex are the two i am pondering most.

that's funny the AP2 and the Apex are the two i am pondering most.

Now that I have the same shaft in each, I'll see which direction I go. I really like the AP2s, but the Apex definitely helped me during a round, last month, when my swing was just a bit off.

Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Still dialing in my distance with these. I had a 155 yard par 3 shot yesterday, which was a well struck 8 iron with my ping i15's (last set of clubs). Well, I pulled the Apex 8 iron and hit a nice shot right at the flag, but it felt short (the green is downhill just enough so you can see the top of the flag but not the green). I was puzzled, because it felt really pure. Welp, looked down and turns our I had grabbed my PW instead of 8 iron. Just off the front of the green! Easy 2 putt par. 9 iron would have been money. Really liking these clubs and the confidence they inspire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They finally came in the mail today. Hit the range for an hour and I'm pretty happy.with them. Long irons were surprisingly easy to use. Will definitely dump the 4 hybrid for the 4 iron. 3 hybrid is safely in the bag but did hit some surprisingly good shots with the 3 iron. Definitely a higher flight than the DPC with dg s300 so distances seem similar. Less distance loss on miss hits is nice though. We'll see how they do on the course tomorow.

Great to hear your long iron experience matches mine. I added the 3i apex and the 2i apex pro and find these two are my favs now. Although this could be due to playing the tips with my pga senior tour buddy, where despite hitting the driver well left with a good number of long irons into the greens.

The long irons are by far the easiest to hit good that I've ever hit and they launch at idea ball flight for me with my super low natural launching swing. These are a step change in ease and distance for me.

On a side note, where is the best spot to buy an apex pro Aw and SW in graphite s300 shaft?

Last edited:
Great to hear your long iron experience matches mine. I added the 3i apex and the 2i apex pro and find these two are my favs now. Although this could be due to playing the tips with my pga senior tour buddy, where despite hitting the driver well left with a good number of long irons into the greens.

The long irons are by far the easiest to hit good that I've ever hit and they launch at idea ball flight for me with my super low natural launching swing. These are a step change in ease and distance for me.

On a side note, where is the best spot to buy an apex pro Aw and SW in graphite s300 shaft?
I just bought an A wedge with S300 steel from Discount Dan's. $135 total. No shipping, no tax. Brand new, my specs of length/lie and grip.

I just bought an A wedge with S300 steel from Discount Dan's. $135 total. No shipping, no tax. Brand new, my specs of length/lie and grip.

Good deal.

Three count'em three issues with my Callaway order! But finally my irons are here and I'll be taking them to the course either tonight or tomorrow :D

Three count'em three issues with my Callaway order! But finally my irons are here and I'll be taking them to the course either tonight or tomorrow :D

mind if i ask what the issues were, and what kind of set up did you get. I would kill to hit these in a Project X, or KBS tour

mind if i ask what the issues were, and what kind of set up did you get. I would kill to hit these in a Project X, or KBS tour

So here's was the order (direct with Callaway)

Apex 4-PW w/KBS Tour-V Stiff & grips uninstalled
3 dozen golf balls
Org 15 Bag (was told 1-2 weeks shipping delay)

The sales rep misheard my zip code so mistake one was that the clubs and balls were shipped to the wrong state and then had to be rerouted back to me which delayed my receiving them by 2-3 days.

Issue number two is that while trying to figure out the shipping thing I was told on a call the bag is now not going to to ship for 6 weeks.

The third strike was that the clubs showed up with the grips installed. My plan was to put different grips on these and the grips in the box on a backup/my kids set.

So nothing hugely wrong, but three little things adding up to me being annoyed LOL

3 dozen golf balls

The sales rep misheard my zip code so mistake one was that the clubs and balls were shipped to the wrong state and then had to be rerouted back to me which delayed my receiving them by 2-3 days.

Issue number two is that while trying to figure out the shipping thing I was told on a call the bag is now not going to to ship for 6 weeks.

The third strike was that the clubs showed up with the grips installed. My plan was to put different grips on these and the grips in the box on a backup/my kids set.

So nothing hugely wrong, but three little things adding up to me being annoyed LOL

Did you order direct from Callawy? If so, they will only send fully assembled clubs. They cannot honor requests to leave off the grips or shafts.

Did you order direct from Callawy? If so, they will only send fully assembled clubs. They cannot honor requests to leave off the grips or shafts.

I did order direct from callaway and was told by the sales rep it wouldn't be an issue.

I am just passing along what we were told during our trip out to callaway.

Thats totally cool and I appreciate it - wish the sales guy knew then LOL

3 dozen golf balls

well congrats for getting them, and i am trying my best to find them to hit in something besides the XP95s

well congrats for getting them, and i am trying my best to find them to hit in something besides the XP95s

Yeah I didn't like the XP95s at all. The KBS Tour-V are the tits though :D

I actually hit these at a golfsmith today, used the tester 6 iron and these things were outrageously long. I was in that 195-200 range when my current clubs are about a 190 5 iron. TBF my gamers are a R shaft and i was hitting a S shaft which is prob more in line w my swing now that i know it.

I hit the pro's and just was getting an inconstant ball, hit these and it was like butter. I'm highly intrigued and am considering purchasing. I haven't read through the zillion pages of reviews for this yet though LOL

Didn't get a chance to hit more then a couple shots on course today. However the shots on the range confirmed my decision. Fantastic feel and look at address. I can't wait for tomorrow!

I am still in love with these. Amazing irons.

I admit, i am curious to try the C-taper lites in them. I like what I am seeing with the PX flighted 95, but I sorta want to experiment....anyone want to trade a 7i CTL stiff for a 7i Project X flighted 95 6.0 for a month or two? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see why everyone was talking up the A wedge, very versatile for me.

I'm 4 rounds into the honeymoon and there is a serious love affair going on. Simply the best irons I've ever played for my game. The combination of performance and forgiveness without the shovel look is something I never thought I'd find. Can't wait to play with them again on Sunday.

For those of you with a 10+ HC. How are you finding the forgiveness of these?
I know they aren't GI irons but are they punishing on your mis hits?

For those of you with a 10+ HC. How are you finding the forgiveness of these?
I know they aren't GI irons but are they punishing on your mis hits?

I'm a 15-16 HC currently. The forgiveness is awesome - let me put it this way...I was not expecting it either, but for me, the Apex sticks are more forgiving than the JPX 825 (non-pro). That, in my book, is pretty darn forgiving! I find the best part of the Apex is the consistency. The dispersion for me is far tighter than the JPX was.

After a so/so day with my irons today, these are creeping further and further up my ponder list. I'm thinking recoils!

Back