HBO Real Sports: The Downturn of Golf

Really? Interesting...You sure you were buying clubs at release and not after they have seen price drop? The ISI started to come out in 96 I believe.
Big Bertha Irons MSRP $1000
TaylorMade Burner Bubble MSRP $449

I could list them on and on and people can search the archives of the web for press releases on tons of older clubs and see the prices and confirm.

As for the last line, I am not going to "counter" with anything other than actual prices at the time of release. Unfortunately people seem to remember their prices they paid, but not really whether or not they got things far after release. I can list 10 iron sets right now that are less than $600 that have been released in the last 12 months. Just as I can list many drivers that cost $299 brand new right now that have been released in the last 12 months.
I'm in 100% agreement. Only thing I can think of that has gone up in price is putters, clothing, and golf balls. Do you know if equipment way back then was Made in USA? Just wondering.

I'm in 100% agreement. Only thing I can think of that has gone up in price is putters, clothing, and golf balls. Do you know if equipment way back then was Made in USA? Just wondering.

Some was. One of the interesting things is that while cost has maintained similar, what we have in our bags has changed. Hybrids are a new category. Carrying this many wedges is a newer category, etc.

It wasn't that long ago that a Ping Hoofer was like $119. A lot of the accessories have shot up in price.

Back