If I were carrying less than 14 clubs, I would add a lefty 7 or 8 iron. Because you never know when you will need to hit one left handed.

Mentioned by a couple of you and i have to say, I cant do anything lefty anyway. I dont even know how lefty's do things lefty.
I would certainly gain more form another club in the line up (probably fill the gap between my 5w and 4i by adding my 3i back in) even if not used much vs the amount of times i would need to attempt a lefty shot. And probably fail anyway :) or should i say :( but i'll just say :l

Most amateurs can barely hit half the clubs in their bag. Adding more would just make your bag heavier.

I'm not ripping you at all, but I just don't know that I can agree with it. I don't even know how to measure "most amateurs" and how much they know their clubs.

I know for myself, I hit all of my clubs, use them all for different contexts, and know my yardages and how to hit multiple types of shots with them. I don't always execute perfectly (as evidenced by my 14 handicap), but I still am not in any way lost when I look at my bag.

Also, it doesn't mean someone needs to hit that 15th or 16th club every round. It's just an option available to them. Like adding a defensive sand club or a chipper or etc. Or the lefty club example. Or a rescue club or 2 iron. Maybe they only use them once a round, or twice every other round, but does that disfigure the game?

I know I sure as hell don't need any more clubs. I need to get better with the ones I have. Adding a couple more to my bag is pointless imo

I would love to have two more clubs but anything more than that would become unnecessary past maybe not even needling the 14 I already have. I'm with Smalls and would add a lefty club just in case and then just tighten up gaps somewhere else. I would imagine every OEM would be on board with this idea.

Personally I think it shouldn't be more than 14. 15-16 is just too many choices, and too much thinking.

I struggle just to carry the 13 that I do now. And I could just as easily go down to 12 by taking my 5i out. In my Burner set, I can't seem to control my 5i, and it has been relegated to a punch out club, to keep low under trees. Why did I do this? Because otherwise I would only have 12, and I can carry an extra club for the 1 shot per round I'd use it.

Most amateurs can barely hit half the clubs in their bag. Adding more would just make your bag heavier.

In most rounds I might (with caps) use 12 of my 14 clubs. The reason is just as you stated, I don't have confidence in every club in the bag.

I'm not ripping you at all, but I just don't know that I can agree with it. I don't even know how to measure "most amateurs" and how much they know their clubs.

I know for myself, I hit all of my clubs, use them all for different contexts, and know my yardages and how to hit multiple types of shots with them. I don't always execute perfectly (as evidenced by my 14 handicap), but I still am not in any way lost when I look at my bag.

Also, it doesn't mean someone needs to hit that 15th or 16th club every round. It's just an option available to them. Like adding a defensive sand club or a chipper or etc. Or the lefty club example. Or a rescue club or 2 iron. Maybe they only use them once a round, or twice every other round, but does that disfigure the game?

I measure 'most' based on years of giving lessons and playing numerous rounds with many people. I would advocate for people to learn to play with the clubs they have in the bag before they start thinking of adding additional.

You say you can hit multiple shots with each club. How many of these shots are perfected and how many are ideas of good shots? I'm curious? Typically golfers have one maybe two clubs they favor and hit well. The rest of the bag is hit or miss. Yes, there exception to every rule but most have more clubs they hit so so to poorly. I'm not sure adding more clubs would make their games any easier.

It's a very good idea. But only if you carry 13 clubs or less.

Heck, I wish the limit was 9 clubs so that people would actually learn to be creative and hit partial shots instead of breaking out the range finder and hitting whatever club they think flies that distance--maybe learn how to use their 9 iron as a flop wedge.

Personally I think it shouldn't be more than 14. 15-16 is just too many choices, and too much thinking.

I struggle just to carry the 13 that I do now. And I could just as easily go down to 12 by taking my 5i out. In my Burner set, I can't seem to control my 5i, and it has been relegated to a punch out club, to keep low under trees. Why did I do this? Because otherwise I would only have 12, and I can carry an extra club for the 1 shot per round I'd use it.

How is 2 extra clubs too much thinking?

I mean, you don't walk up to a 215 yard shot on the edge of the fairway and go, "How about my 56? No. Too short. My PW? No, still too short. My putter? ....."

Twice in a round you'd walk to a 215 yard shot in the fairway and see the wind and the big tree between you and the green and say, "3 hybrid to get it up over the tree or a choked down 2 iron to go under the wind and the tree?"

And that'a choice you might have now, with your mix in your bag. Or if you add a special sand club with a wide sole, you would say, "Use my 56/14 or the Sandy Safety club". That's takes a second.

I'm not railing on you or anything. Totally friendly about it. It's just been very comical to me when people say, "Too many choices". It doesn't make you compare all 14 clubs in the bag every time. A club would have a very specific purpose and context. Unless someone just decided to carry 6 different pitching wedges, I don't see choice as an issue.

I mean, you don't walk up to a 215 yard shot on the edge of the fairway and go, "How about my 56? No. Too short. My PW? No, still too short. My putter? ....."

Twice in a round you'd walk to a 215 yard shot in the fairway and see the wind and the big tree between you and the green and say, "3 hybrid to get it up over the tree or a choked down 2 iron to go under the wind and the tree?"

And that'a choice you might have now, with your mix in your bag. Or if you add a special sand club with a wide sole, you would say, "Use my 56/14 or the Sandy Safety club". That's takes a second.

I'm not railing on you or anything. Totally friendly about it. It's just been very comical to me when people say, "Too many choices". It doesn't make you compare all 14 clubs in the bag every time. A club would have a very specific purpose and context. Unless someone just decided to carry 6 different pitching wedges, I don't see choice as an issue.

I agree. I never unserstood how more clubs creates problems. It doesnt complicate the game, it simply offers you more options, That actually makes the game easier, not harder. If having more clubs was the harder and a more complicated thing, then they never would have put limits on the club amount. Having less clubs puts more in the hands and the heads of the players. Its not the other way around. Once one is an avid golfer and also understands all parts of his game he can and (if so choses) will benefit from having more club options available to him for his play vs if he doesnt have those options.

If one is at a distance where they have an empty gap. In general for most people it is easier to have a club for that distance than it is to force yourself to get creative with the next club up or down. Its not rocket science, you just simply now have that cub in your bag where as before you did not. Why is this any more complictaed and harder? I dont really get that logic.

If one wants to get to point "B" from point "A" and its 160 yards he is not going to have a meltdown because "oh my god I have too many clubs and how in the world will i ever now make this shot" ."I better throw 3 clubs in the garbage at the next hole so i wont be faced with all this complication".

How about being in a position marked "X" for whatever reason and you see that playing over to position "Y" looks like the place to be from here to continue towartds the hole or may even be the hole. You figure the yardage and also find out you dont have that club. Why? because having that club was just one too many and far too complicated and your hair was falling out, your vision was going, and you had headaches and maybe your left testicle droped lower than the right one, and you wanted to avoid all that stress of another club so now your forced to hit to a less desirable area of "Z" or your forced to get creative with one of the other clubs form your easy going, stress free, uncomplicated set up. Sarcastic humor aside, it makes your game easier to actually have that club after all.

I can barely play with the clubs I have in my bag!

I agree. I never unserstood how more clubs creates problems. It doesnt complicate the game, it simply offers you more options, That actually makes the game easier, not harder. If having more clubs was the harder and a more complicated thing, then they never would have put limits on the club amount. Having less clubs puts more in the hands and the heads of the players. Its not the other way around. Once one is an avid golfer and also understands all parts of his game he can and (if so choses) will benefit from having more club options available to him for his play vs if he doesnt have those options.

If one is at a distance where they have an empty gap. In general for most people it is easier to have a club for that distance than it is to force yourself to get creative with the next club up or down. Its not rocket science, you just simply now have that cub in your bag where as before you did not. Why is this any more complictaed and harder? I dont really get that logic.

If one wants to get to point "B" from point "A" and its 160 yards he is not going to have a meltdown because "oh my god I have too many clubs and how in the world will i ever now make this shot" ."I better throw 3 clubs in the garbage at the next hole so i wont be faced with all this complication".

How about being in a position marked "X" for whatever reason and you see that playing over to position "Y" looks like the place to be from here to continue towartds the hole or may even be the hole. You figure the yardage and also find out you dont have that club. Why? because having that club was just one too many and far too complicated and your hair was falling out, your vision was going, and you had headaches and maybe your left testicle droped lower than the right one, and you wanted to avoid all that stress of another club so now your forced to hit to a less desirable area of "Z" or your forced to get creative with one of the other clubs form your easy going, stress free, uncomplicated set up. Sarcastic humor aside, it makes your game easier to actually have that club after all.

Lets get this out of the way first, golf is hard enough as is. We can all agree.

Now on to me personally, I already carry 3 wedges in my bag. When I'm within 100 or so yards, I'm automatically into those 3 clubs. When it comes to anything other than a full swing, I don't need more in my mind on whether I should do a 1/4 50*, 1/2 54*, or 3/4 58*, or a full swing with maybe a 60* wedge as well. More clubs mean more choices, yes, but more choices can also lead to more second guessing. More second guessing can lead to being too loose in your swing, and then who knows what that leads to, and it isn't a good shot. Like I said before, I only play 13 clubs, and truthfully I should only be carrying 12. This is the setup that works for me. I could honestly add maybe a 7w, 5h or something to better the gap between my 4h and 6i, but I'm rarely in that yardage, and therefor don't really need​ that club. For me, 14 is enough.

Lets get this out of the way first, golf is hard enough as is. We can all agree.

Now on to me personally, I already carry 3 wedges in my bag. When I'm within 100 or so yards, I'm automatically into those 3 clubs. When it comes to anything other than a full swing, I don't need more in my mind on whether I should do a 1/4 50*, 1/2 54*, or 3/4 58*, or a full swing with maybe a 60* wedge as well. More clubs mean more choices, yes, but more choices can also lead to more second guessing. More second guessing can lead to being too loose in your swing, and then who knows what that leads to, and it isn't a good shot. Like I said before, I only play 13 clubs, and truthfully I should only be carrying 12. This is the setup that works for me. I could honestly add maybe a 7w, 5h or something to better the gap between my 4h and 6i, but I'm rarely in that yardage, and therefor don't really need​ that club. For me, 14 is enough.

I mean this in a completely polite way:

Are you carrying 3 identical wedges?

For example, I have 5 wedges. But I know exactly when to grab one over the others.

1. I grab a wedge with a 14 bounce for rough or sand.

2. I grab a wedge with 08 bounce (or less) on tight lies.

3. I grab a higher lofted wedge I need to have the ball high and land soft.

4. I grab a less lofted wedge when I want the ball to be in the air briefly and run.

5. I grab the highest lofted wedge in the bag to lob.

For me, there's no confusion. None at all. There's no painful choice. Now maybe I'm unusual that I practice many shots will all my clubs and have a strong point of view about what I can do with them well and what I cannot. And I play a lot of par 3s for training. But for me, there's no worry or anxiety or ANYTHING about having additional clubs other than having more options at my fingertips.

Now on to me personally, I already carry 3 wedges in my bag. When I'm within 100 or so yards, I'm automatically into those 3 clubs. When it comes to anything other than a full swing, I don't need more in my mind on whether I should do a 1/4 50*, 1/2 54*, or 3/4 58*, or a full swing with maybe a 60* wedge as well. More clubs mean more choices, yes, but more choices can also lead to more second guessing. .

I certainly cant tell one how to feel. But I can suggest that its more about the view one takes and how one understands it all that creates the complication and not the extra club.
Its not about more choices and decisions to make as they are (in a way) not really choices after all. What I mean is that (especially as we get closer to the green) what we think is a choice is really just what the remainder of the hole is dictating to us as the offered route we are left with. If that offered route calls for club "x" then the only thing that extra club does is simply allow one to take that route. Without that club is what complicates things as one is now forced to get creative with the next best club for the shot.

We seem to make more of things than what actually is. In your example above your hitting a 60* to 100 and then say you have choice to use the 54* (basic sw) at 1/2 strength. I know your just generalizing but your hitting the sw 200yrds? I know you know that is not the case. But none those numbers make sense when you really look at them. They are just not real or practical. The whole thing just gets over exaggerated in ones mind. Understanding the reality of it all instead of the illusion the extra club creates is only what makes it seem more or less complicated. Its not the extra club.

You get close to a green and may do anything from bump/running an 8i,9i, to chipping a pw, to pitching a gw, sw, or any combo at any strength percentage. Your going to have such choices anyway so its not all that different anyway. In fact when that offered route calls for the club in question you will have it. The club doesn't create complication. It actually helps it. The whole thoughts of it is whats over exaggerated and creates a false sense complication.

Personally I'd go for one or two more than 14, if it were allowed. Options are good... within reason. Even though I'm not on tour, I do belong to an MGA. And they enforce the 14-club rule as I assume many MGAs do. So, it's not just tour players who have to abide by it currently.

Interestingly, by bag has 15 distinct slots for clubs. I assume the 15th is meant for things like ball retrievers and orange whips, but interesting nonetheless.

I honestly dont always use all 14 clubs every round, so I really dont see the need for 16. If they upped it to 16, I honestly dont know what I would add to the bag. Maybe a chipper and a 62 degree wedge.

I can't remember the last time, if ever, I used every club during a round. I have extra wedges that allow me to change based on a course, but I rarely switch my set up and never find myself wishing I had another choice to hit.

I don't care if others carry more than 14, but i think it could lead to more indecision for players.

Not sure there's a need for a 15th or 16th club, but using the Op's line of thinking you could at least make the argument.

Courses are much longer, more complex. Lots of people taking up the game, etc.

I'd be OK with one more club, allowing people to add another fairway wood or a wedge.

I certainly cant tell one how to feel. But I can suggest that its more about the view one takes and how one understands it all that creates the complication and not the extra club.
Its not about more choices and decisions to make as they are (in a way) not really choices after all. What I mean is that (especially as we get closer to the green) what we think is a choice is really just what the remainder of the hole is dictating to us as the offered route we are left with. If that offered route calls for club "x" then the only thing that extra club does is simply allow one to take that route. Without that club is what complicates things as one is now forced to get creative with the next best club for the shot.

We seem to make more of things than what actually is. In your example above your hitting a 60* to 100 and then say you have choice to use the 54* (basic sw) at 1/2 strength. I know your just generalizing but your hitting the sw 200yrds? I know you know that is not the case. But none those numbers make sense when you really look at them. They are just not real or practical. The whole thing just gets over exaggerated in ones mind. Understanding the reality of it all instead of the illusion the extra club creates is only what makes it seem more or less complicated. Its not the extra club.

You get close to a green and may do anything from bump/running an 8i,9i, to chipping a pw, to pitching a gw, sw, or any combo at any strength percentage. Your going to have such choices anyway so its not all that different anyway. In fact when that offered route calls for the club in question you will have it. The club doesn't create complication. It actually helps it. The whole thoughts of it is whats over exaggerated and creates a false sense complication.

Yardage was a huge generalization on my part. I was saying that if I'm within 100 yards or so, I have a choice of really any of my 3 wedges. I didn't explain however that at 100 yards, leave me with really only one club. Better idea, picture a simple 15-20 yard pitch. Like in your example, you have a choice of bump and run with 7,8,or 9i's, or a simply chip/pitch/flop (if you dare) using any combination of wedges. To me, that amount of choices is enough. That's 7 different clubs you can use to make at least 14 different shots with. Personally, the more choices, the more I start to overthink and tell myself, "Man, I hope that I'm choosing the right club/shot for this." I don't need to be overthinking anymore than I already to before/during/after my shot.

I'm all for making the game easier. And I'll be truthful that I don't always play the "bigger and longer" courses that some of our fellow THP-ers play either. But when I do happen upon those courses, my setup hasn't let me down or caused bad scores because of 1 or 2 missing clubs. Heck even before I put a 3w back into my bag I had plenty of shots where I would say "Man a 3w would be perfect for this shot", but since putting it back in my bag, I haven't used it quite as often as I thought I would of before I got it.

But I only game 13 clubs now and haven't found a recurring example of why I should have 14. So even if the rule where to come into play and be legal tomorrow that we can carry 16 clubs, I'd still stay right at 13. Because this is the number that works for me. Personally, I don't see the need for more than 14.

. Better idea, picture a simple 15-20 yard pitch. Like in your example, you have a choice of bump and run with 7,8,or 9i's, or a simply chip/pitch/flop (if you dare) using any combination of wedges. To me, that amount of choices is enough. That's 7 different clubs you can use to make at least 14 different shots with. Personally, the more choices, the more I start to overthink and tell myself, "Man, I hope that I'm choosing the right club/shot for this." I don't need to be overthinking anymore than I already to before/during/after my shot.

Firstly, Please don't take the fact that I will continue this debate/discussion with you as though its an argument. I dont believe at all that you are but wanted to get that out of the way as I just find it a good discussion worth continuing :)

Anyway, I can understand the confusion of too many choices. Who wouldn't? But here is where imo the difference is.
In reality we really are not going to have 7 choices and 14 shots to choose from. Obviously (based on all conditions in front of us) most of the choices are not going to be correct for the given situation. I think you would probably agree with that right? Ok,

I don't view them as choices because =. Instead I view them as (with an extra club) I now simply have more option to meet what is offered by the remainder of play. You see, in my view its the remainder of what is left of the hole that will say "this is the desired shot" or "this is the choice you need to make". The only thing an extra club does is give me that. It didn't give me more choices. It gave me an answer for what was asked of me. Executing the shot is a whole other story :( lol.

A hole and pin are telling me that I'm 140 out but the pin is tucked very close to a front bunker. So with that info I now take the next longer club right? Well now imagine if I don't have that club. So its not really that the club caused too many choices. Its more so that the club just gave me the extra option to meet the shot that was asked for. It simply allowed me to take that shot.

Its the same thing closer around the greens. There is simply going to be a best offered shot. The only thing is for one to recognize that shot. Your not really making many choices and many times any at all. Your simply playing to what has been dictated to you. Now it just becomes a matter of whether or not you have that club in the bag in order to attempt it. The club didn't give you too many choices, it just allowed you to meet what was asked of you.

Its just that imo the confusing thoughts of too many clubs is misplaced. Its just not viewed from the correct vantage point imo. Just one of things that I believe if understood in a different light is not confusing after all. With that said I don't think one has to force themselves into anything. If one is happy and doesn't want to bother then by all means just keep going they way you are. But perhaps imo it is worth something to think about at some point.

Firstly, Please don't take the fact that I will continue this debate/discussion with you as though its an argument. I dont believe at all that you are but wanted to get that out of the way as I just find it a good discussion worth continuing :)

Anyway, I can understand the confusion of too many choices. Who wouldn't? But here is where imo the difference is.
In reality we really are not going to have 7 choices and 14 shots to choose from. Obviously (based on all conditions in front of us) most of the choices are not going to be correct for the given situation. I think you would probably agree with that right? Ok,

I don't view them as choices because =. Instead I view them as (with an extra club) I now simply have more option to meet what is offered by the remainder of play. You see, in my view its the remainder of what is left of the hole that will say "this is the desired shot" or "this is the choice you need to make". The only thing an extra club does is give me that. It didn't give me more choices. It gave me an answer for what was asked of me. Executing the shot is a whole other story :( lol.

A hole and pin are telling me that I'm 140 out but the pin is tucked very close to a front bunker. So with that info I now take the next longer club right? Well now imagine if I don't have that club. So its not really that the club caused too many choices. Its more so that the club just gave me the extra option to meet the shot that was asked for. It simply allowed me to take that shot.

Its the same thing closer around the greens. There is simply going to be a best offered shot. The only thing is for one to recognize that shot. Your not really making many choices and many times any at all. Your simply playing to what has been dictated to you. Now it just becomes a matter of whether or not you have that club in the bag in order to attempt it. The club didn't give you too many choices, it just allowed you to meet what was asked of you.

Its just that imo the confusing thoughts of too many clubs is misplaced. Its just not viewed from the correct vantage point imo. Just one of things that I believe if understood in a different light is not confusing after all. With that said I don't think one has to force themselves into anything. If one is happy and doesn't want to bother then by all means just keep going they way you are. But perhaps imo it is worth something to think about at some point.

I do understand where you are coming from with the added club or two. I really do. All I've been saying is the to myself, the extra 3 clubs are not going to make a difference, as currently I only game 13. Yes I know that could mean carrying 3 extra clubs for that "once a season golf shot" that I would need one of those clubs that I currently don't bag.

But in rebuttal to what you guys have been saying; Instead of asking for 1 or 2 extra clubs to carry for these kind of shots, why isn't your bag set up to either 1) hit nearly every shot in a given round, or 2) set up to where you can have an extra club for the "once a season golf shot"?

For myself, any par 4 that is under 475 (and face it, for amateurs that's a pretty long par 4) is within reason of being reached in 2 (250 yard drive, 225 3w, and yes on a good day). I have yet to play a hole that plays true to 475, so therefor for myself, every par 4 has a chance of a GIR given perfect conditions and swings. If in my next round I were to say encounter a mammoth par 4 that isn't reachable in 2 (would suck but might happen) then my best outcome would be par. Right now in my game, to be honest, I play for par and take my birdie chances where they come.

I'm not a perfect golfer, and am in not way trying to impose the way I play golf onto anybody else, but like it was mentioned previously in this thread, why not try to learn to hit every shot with every club in your bag on the given day that you are playing?

QUOTE ="But in rebuttal to what you guys have been saying; Instead of asking for 1 or 2 extra clubs to carry for these kind of shots, why isn't your bag set up to either 1) hit nearly every shot in a given round, or 2) set up to where you can have an extra club for the "once a season golf shot"? " QUOTE

Because we can only carry 14 clubs. So most then try to carry a happy medium of clubs somewhere between the most common shots and the ones the individual feels is most important. For many, reaching that happy medium usually results in a give and take somewhere in the bag even if minor. Been plenty of discussions alluding to that in the past. They try to take the hit in the area of the bag they feel would be least detrimental in order to improve the area they feel is more important. Basically it comes down to a lessor of two evils because they cant have it both ways. Not quite enough clubs to satisfy it both ways. Hence this topic about the 14 rule and is probably part of why it exists.

QuUOTE "but like it was mentioned previously in this thread, why not try to learn to hit every shot with every club in your bag on the given day that you are playing? "QUOTE"

You are correct of course. If one truly wants to be as good as possible he should learn to hit every type shot with each club. However, that takes a whole lot of time, money and efforts. In most cases they are resources the average person doesnt have enough of. So most try to find a happy medium spending the resources between improvements and filling the desire to have fun playing. Many may varry in that and lean more to one side or the other. But this answer is probably part of why you carry 13. Your (i asssume) currently satisfied and happy where you are with 13 while in your current game. And just may be as your game moves forward you still might feel great about the 13 or heck, even dare i say even drop one to 12, or perhaps you would go to the 14, who knows? I would never say that is ever wrong of you or anyone at all. The only thing i would ever debate is this logic that some have which says that carrying more clubs is a bad and confusing thing. They may not feel its advantageous but as long as its viewed from the proper perspective it would never be bad.

My take is that when the ruling bodies set a limit at 14 clubs, it was mostly just an arbitrary number. It allowed enough clubs to address most of the shots that a player needs, but it left enough space that the better player was required to make certain adjustments in certain situations. It kept the skill of shotmaking in the game, and in theory that skill is still a necessary part of the player's arsenal.

If a player chooses to ignore the 14 club limitation, that's his choice - have at it, enjoy it, and I hope the added load doesn't weigh you down too much. However, to say that the equipment differences have made it necessary to change the rule is a rationalization. The reasoning behind the rule is just as valid today as it ever was. The player decides where he can best afford to leave a gap in his club distances, and then he finds a way within his game to compensate. Or he carries extra clubs and ignores the rule.

The players who rationalize that because the game has changed, they are justified in carrying 15 or 16 or 18 clubs are no different from the players who justify to themselves that it's okay to improve their lie or make "advantageous" relief drops. They all feel that they have good reasons for creating those "rules", and if they think that it's more fun that way, go for it.

But to say that the rule is wrong because you don't like it is just wrong thinking. The rule isn't wrong or right, it's just the rule. You can choose to play by it or not, and that isn't wrong or right either (in casual golf, not in competition). If the rule holds to the fundamental principles of the game (in this case that golf is a game of skill), then it's more in keeping with that foundation to leave the rule as it is and let the casual player make his choice to abide by it or not.

Back