Driver Shaft- D+ 72 vs Fuel

Sully

Reaction score
Handicap
So I currently play a D+ 72 Stiff flex in my 913 D2. The shaft is quite stout for me and very boardy feeling and have been looking for a while now to replace the shaft. I just can't feel it load much and always feel like I'm fighting it.

Last month I went through a full bag fitting a club champion and my fitter recommended the Fuji Fuel 50 shaft in Regular. I really liked the feel of it but I'm just worried it may be too light, nor have I ever played a regular flex.

What do you guys think? Going from a heavier 70+ gram shaft to a lighter and less stiff shaft. Should I go with the 50 fuel or bump up to the 60 fuel? I've heard the shaft profile is different in the fuel 50 vs 60 (60 playing stiffer). I can't make up my mind so any help is appreciated!

SS is around 95-100, never really above 100 as I don't step on it too hard off the tee. Transition is fairly smooth with smooth/average tempo and I have a pretty early release. Also I don't get to parallel on the back swing.

Last edited:
Bump. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900V

Try a fuel 60. Just to see. Be warned, the Fuel from the Amp Cell was different than the aftermarket Fuel.

Have you tried doing the online fitting from Fuji? Would give you a good place to start

I have the real deal Fuel 60 in stiff & like it. I swing 100-110 depending on the day. It feels stout to waggle, almost intimidating but still kicks nicely at impact and doesnt feel boardy/harsh. It's smooth but not like my Ilima or Blueboard which after using the Fuel can feel quite soft. Also very straight :)

Try a fuel 60. Just to see. Be warned, the Fuel from the Amp Cell was different than the aftermarket Fuel.
Ya that's what I'm thinking as well. Ive heard they are fairly stout so I may try the 60 Regular. This D+ 72 is just too stiff and always a battle swinging it. And I don't swing above 100 or have a hard transition.

I'm thinking the 50 may be too light, even though that's what the fitter recommended. He said the fuel in general fit my swing.

Sent from my SM-G900V

And yes the fuel I will be getting will be the real deal, not the amp cell fuel.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Ya that's what I'm thinking as well. Ive heard they are fairly stout so I may try the 60 Regular. This D+ 72 is just too stiff and always a battle swinging it. And I don't swing above 100 or have a hard transition.

I'm thinking the 50 may be too light, even though that's what the fitter recommended. He said the fuel in general fit my swing.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I really like the Fuel. It is boardy, not a ton of feel there. I like boardy driver shafts though.

I really like the Fuel. It is boardy, not a ton of feel there. I like boardy driver shafts though.
Ya that's why I think I'm going to go with regular. It'll be lighter and less stiff than my current shaft.

The D+ 72 is boardy as well and I play that in stiff right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Ya that's why I think I'm going to go with regular. It'll be lighter and less stiff than my current shaft.

The D+ 72 is boardy as well and I play that in stiff right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Hehe. I love the D+ in a driver. Such a wonderful shaft for a transition like mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I played the 60 in my R1 last year it is very stout but gives a nice mid flight but will not have as much feel as the D+

Hehe. I love the D+ in a driver. Such a wonderful shaft for a transition like mine.
So since you have experience with both what do you think for flex in the 60? If the D+ 72 S is too stiff for me and I can't really load it.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I played the 60 in my R1 last year it is very stout but gives a nice mid flight but will not have as much feel as the D+
Hmmm see I tried the 50 Fuel in Regular, he didn't have the 60 available, and I thought it had much more feel than the D+. I could actually feel it loading

Sent from my SM-G900V

Now I'm thinking I should stick with the 50 since everyone is saying the fuel is just as stout. Pondering.......

I just don't want to be stuck with a 2x4 like my current shaft.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Now I'm thinking I should stick with the 50 since everyone is saying the fuel is just as stout. Pondering.......

I just don't want to be stuck with a 2x4 like my current shaft.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Trust your fitter

Trust your fitter
I know I know! I just want to trust him. 50 gram just seems so light coming from 70! Not to mention stiff to regular flex.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Your as puts you at bottom end of stiff and upper end of regular. I would recommend trying the Diamana blue+ stiff or reg. maybe consider the aldilla tour green. Talked to different people about the fuel before and results are mixed.

Your as puts you at bottom end of stiff and upper end of regular. I would recommend trying the Diamana blue+ stiff or reg. maybe consider the aldilla tour green. Talked to different people about the fuel before and results are mixed.
You can't just go off his ss tho. How he loads the shaft will play a big role. To the OP trust your fitter as he's seen you swing

You can't just go off his ss tho. How he loads the shaft will play a big role. To the OP trust your fitter as he's seen you swing
Yea that's the one thing my fitter said. With my current shaft he couldn't see me load and said it was just too boardy for me. Put me in a couple different shafts in the same head and nothing special. Then he put me in the fuel 50 regular and said how'd that feel. Felt great and he said he could see it load standing behind me.

The only thing I'm worried about is going down to that light of a shaft. Never played a 50 gram shaft. I'm also worried that it's regular flex. Is I step on it will it be to loose? I want to trust him, I just don't want to be stuck with a 200$ shaft and hate it.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Well just ordered the Fuel 60 in regular. I'll report back when its in!

Got a great deal on eBay. Brand new from reputable Fuji dealer for $140 with OEM titleist adapter ($15 extra). And free 2 day shipping.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Back