Small Hands-Midsize Grips

Iseemoredrop

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering if anyone here with small hands has tried or uses midsize grips? I think I am possibly in the beginning stages of arthritis having sore fingers often. If any users could you please give me your thoughts? Thanks

I've played with some old codgers at my golf course that use the oversize golf grips. They swear by them because the large grips help their arthritic condition. I'm talking about the larger than mid sized grips.

I have small hands and tried a mid size grip but wasn't able to control the club like i wanted so i switched back, but i don't have the issue of dealing with arthritis. Some of the older guys i play with still play whatever their normal size grip should be.

I have small hands and have tried mid sized grips on my irons. However, I only used them for a few rounds. Just couldn't get used to the feel.

I do not have arthritis, so my experience may be different than what you experience.

Im not sure what exactly constitutes small hands. I think my hands are small I were a cadet m/l or cadet l based on diff manufacturers and I use mid size grips in all my clubs. It wasn't for arthritis though. It was because I used to grip the club too tight and when my instructor taught me to loosen my grip I would constantly open my hands and regrip in my back swing.

All of that to say this: you should try them out. When I used standard my hands would hurt at the end of rounds and I'd have blisters all over my right hand (non glove). Now with mid sized I feel great. No more hurting hands and no more blisters and I can grip lighter and still feel like I have control of the club.

My glove size is medium-cadet and I use mid size grips in my irons. I honestly don't notice a big difference either way.

I have tiny hands and play undersize grips on my irons, but stock on my woods. I don't notice a difference switching between clubs, but I also don't have arthritis yet, so I can't comment on that.

The things I could say to this :p

I tinkered with the mid size grips and just could not get use the feel

I have tiny hands and play undersize grips on my irons, but stock on my woods. I don't notice a difference switching between clubs, but I also don't have arthritis yet, so I can't comment on that.

I have short fingers and when i tried mid size i had a hard time turning the club over add a wrap to stand grips was a great in-between

I can go either standard or midsize.

My problem is I use a lot of force when I grip and after a few swings my hands and forearms would hurt.

I went with midsize Winn Dri-Tac and it has done wonders for my hands and no more pain. Didn't notice a performance issue.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if it is arthritis but do have some problems with fingers. Still doesn't stop me from playing which is a good thing. Might have to give a midsize a try and see how it goes for me.

Are they small hands but long fingers? I have a 'thin' hand I guess you could say, and I do add some extra layers of tape to my standard size grips (not at mid-size though), and I love it. Way more comfortable for me.

Surprisingly, there isn't a huge amount of difference between standard and mid-size. You also have to be careful, because if the grip opening is different than the butt-end of your club, then the sizing gets screwy. A professional can clear all that up for you. For the price of a grip and not much to install, its worth giving it a try on a club and see how you like it. Worst case, you don't like it, and go back to what you had.

~Rock

I play with a lot of older guys (60+) and most of them use larger grips for arthritis reasons, my dad included.

Back