Where to get distances figured out?

salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Over the last 2 months I have been working on my irons and have seen huge jumps in distance but my gaps have changed. For example my 7 iron has jumped from 145 to 175 but my 8 from 135 to 150-155 as far as I can tell. My problem on the course is no longer really knowing what to hit. Can people buy time on the monitors at places like Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith for the purpose of working their existing bags? I would even be interested in even letting them do the loft adjustments to better create gaps between clubs.

I would say with your 7 iron gap jumping 30 yards and your 8 iron jumping 15-20 yards you would probably benefit from adjustments. It should be easy to find someone to do just that living in N.J. I would find a club fitter and the monitor time will be included with the price of the club adjusting.

Over the last 2 months I have been working on my irons and have seen huge jumps in distance but my gaps have changed. For example my 7 iron has jumped from 145 to 175 but my 8 from 135 to 150-155 as far as I can tell. My problem on the course is no longer really knowing what to hit. Can people buy time on the monitors at places like Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith for the purpose of working their existing bags? I would even be interested in even letting them do the loft adjustments to better create gaps between clubs.
I like to do it on the course. Throw down a few balls in the evening and hit clubs from various distances. After a few times out I get the handle on it and adjust a bit from there.

You could also pick up a device like the voice caddie sc100 which would give you calculated carry distances at the range--or even hitting into a net.

I got an ES14 launch monitor for that very reason. My new set of Apex Irons were delivered the other day and after 1 round it was obvious I hit them much longer but what that distance is has yet TBD.

How accurate are the ES14 or the Voice Caddie? I know I could just go look but...

People walk into Golfsmith here with their own bags and just start hitting all the time.

The Dick's Sporting Goods here charges $35, I think for an hour. I've considered it but with the firing of the pros, I'm not sure it's even worth it now. They wouldn't be able to adjust the clubs if you did indeed have a weird yardage gap. If Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith can adjust the clubs on the spot, then ask them what their rate is.

How accurate are the ES14 or the Voice Caddie? I know I could just go look but...
I found it (the voice caddie sc100) to be very accurate. Others questioned it. There is a lengthy review thread on the forum, but I'm sitting on a plane and can't link it.

I am interested in the voice caddy and the ES12 as well. Driving range will not tell you anything and the only other place to go where I live is an Edwin Watts that charges $60 an hour if not getting fitted for a club (which is reasonable... I'm just cheap).

I will let you know in regards to the ES14 after I get everything dialed in and compare it to course results. I was going to get a GC2 Launch Monitor but wanted to try the ES14 first to see if I can get good, dependable results. I don't need exact precision, but a pretty good ballpark idea.

I am interested in the voice caddy and the ES12 as well. Driving range will not tell you anything and the only other place to go where I live is an Edwin Watts that charges $60 an hour if not getting fitted for a club (which is reasonable... I'm just cheap).
Trying to get distance from my local driving range is worthless. I can hit the same club (6i), make the same contact and there is a good 30 to 40 yards difference in distance. The balls there sucks.

There is a local club fitter/builder near me where I think I am going to go see and then have him make all of the adjustments as well.

Find a range or teaching professional that will let you use their launch monitor or as suggested Dicks/Golf Galaxy if they allow it. I have seen mixed reviews on the ES devices. I do the same as lightiningbolt44 and go to the course and hit balls from various distances.

Going to the course and hitting balls would be your best bet IMO. Make sure you factor in everything on the course, try to find a flat lie and use the normal ball you play with. Also consider wind if you try this.

Going to the range to calculate distances can be misleading. Using range balls and hitting off mats can play a factor in the distance you're seeing.

Back