Slight-arc and putter model

AndreaIT

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, I have been fitted as slight-arc putting (ca. 5 degrees closed). Although I feel much more stable in the short putting with a face balanced putter, ie. PING ZING 5 vs PING B60. Am I missing something? Any technical reason for that? Thanks

My opinion which doesn't really matter is that those stroke types are not set in stone. I think the way something looks to your eye and it feels can be just as important.

My opinion which doesn't really matter is that those stroke types are not set in stone. I think the way something looks to your eye and it feels can be just as important.
I tend to agree with this. I believe a putter fitting could be very helpful but I think just hitting a bunch and see what you like and feel most comfortable with is important as well. I wouldn't rule out any based on stroke

Personally I think all the arc talk is overrated and more marketing than anything.

I tried the Ping iPhone putter fitting app last week, was told by the guy at the shop that my swing matches with face balanced putters. He also said that most people are slight arc putters, and that I would be fine with any putter that wasn't toe down.
Turns out my old putter is a toe down, and my current putters are both face balanced.
I guess he was right, and at least in my case, it does make a difference.

Agreed entirely.

I like that the companies are trying to narrow the choices for the customers but I think too many people take the "fitting" they get from the ping app and exclude other options that may work better for them.

Putting fittings are good for the reason spivey gave, after that it's about feel and looks.

I like that the companies are trying to narrow the choices for the customers but I think too many people take the "fitting" they get from the ping app and exclude other options that may work better for them.

Yep, they overlook that despite the great variances in arcs that people use if you don't feel comfortable over a specific putter or weighting/balance in a stroke then it won't matter.

In putters, comfort IS huge.

People talk about feel and look all the time with putters, but for me I am more interested in performance. I want a putter that will enable me to roll the ball on my intended line no matter how long of a putt I am hitting. Failure to hit you line consistently will result in poor distance control, poor green reading, and your making compensations in your stroke.

Putters have different design characteristics (offset, weight, hosel position, COG, etc) to fit different strokes and their rotational component. Find the putter that matches up with your stroke and you will have the best chances at being successful.

Thanks guys, interesting. My next question would be on the benefits of face balanced putters regardless of the type of stroke you have...

Thanks guys, interesting. My next question would be on the benefits of face balanced putters regardless of the type of stroke you have...

Many people will generalize that a face balanced putter is for a SBST stroke; but I don't support that theory. Face balance is just a design characteristic that helps you get the putter in the correct position to hit the ball on your intended line. With a consistent stroke a putter will rotate approximately the same amount each time. Since face angle contributes to about 85% of the balls direction, you need to have the putter rotate the correct amount to get the ball to start online. The other 15% is the path bias for the stroke; most strokes have some left or right bias. Based on path bias and required face angle you have to find the right amount of rotation that will enable you to get to the desired impact position to roll the ball on your intended line.

I can't find the link on the computer I am on but search youtube for SeeMore Face Balanced at Impact. To me this make a much bigger difference than worring about how the putter head hangs when resting on a table.

I got a good understanding of all this from reading Putter Perfection, which is available in the THP store.

Regardless of all that, what feels right to you and gives you good distance control and feel will likely put the ball in the hole more often than something that does not feel right.

Back