Are Ray Cook putters THAT good?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm trying to get a putter for my son who is showing interest in golf... I've got him a set of irons now and was looking on eBay for putters. He's 14, likes the color blue, so I thought a Ray Cook M1 in blue (limited edition) would be a good idea.

i keep getting out bid on the putters I see... So far I've lost 2 because they went for a price above what I'm willing to pay.

Are Ray Cook M1 putters that good where they're commanding a price over $25?

i just want a starter putter for him... Preferably mallet style because I've heard they're easier to hit...

I've only ever used blade style so no experience with mallets other than in the store. I'd let him use my old one but he's right handed and I'm lefty.

are my expectations out of whack? I thought Ray Cook putters were bottom end putters.

Over $25 is high?

I have no experience with Ray Cooks but I'm confused over the price concern.

Well, yeah $25 is high. Especially when an auction starts at $0.01, I bid $16, and the auction closes at $29. That's high. But I'm being cheap I guess

Well, yeah $25 is high. Especially when an auction starts at $0.01, I bid $16, and the auction closes at $29. That's high. But I'm being cheap I guess

25 bucks isn't a lot for a putter. I don't know anything about ray cook but regardless of make 25 isn't much

What are they going for at "buy it now" prices?

And aren't they a rockbottom house brand? Maybe check there.

That is confusing man.... I got one on ebay once for a bid of $4.79...plus 5 bucks shipping... it wasn't a mallet style but still I don't understand why they're selling that high....

I think as mentioned above they are a house brand at rockbottomgolf.com check there and I bet you can get one with less frustration for a similar price.

Uh Oh...I just looked at their site and they are selling the M1s for $79.99.... so if you can throw in a last minute 30 dollar bid and snipe one on the bay you will have gotten a great deal.

I don't know about these putter's quality. I do see them at highly discounted prices at Rockbottomgolf.com. Maybe go there to see baseline prices and base your bidding accordingly.

That's the thing... I'm seeing these putters go pretty cheaply on eBay until I try to get one then lose out on the bid... I'm trying together it in the cheap because my wife doesn't want me spending a lot of money on something if my son quits golf. I agree with that sentiment.

I notice that Ray Cook has putters very similar to other manufacturers at lower prices hence my thinking they were a low tier company... But seeing the putters sell for buy it now prices at $79.99 from reputable companies has me confused.

That's the thing... I'm seeing these putters go pretty cheaply on eBay until I try to get one then lose out on the bid... I'm trying together it in the cheap because my wife doesn't want me spending a lot of money on something if my son quits golf. I agree with that sentiment.

I notice that Ray Cook has putters very similar to other manufacturers at lower prices hence my thinking they were a low tier company... But seeing the putters sell for buy it now prices at $79.99 from reputable companies has me confused.
Does it have to be a new putter? If you put a WTB add up for a mallet putter and include your budget (and maybe even explain that its for your son) I'd bet that you are offered higher quality putters from members here who have stuff laying around and would want to help you get your son set up.

Does it have to be a new putter? If you put a WTB add up for a mallet putter and include your budget (and maybe even explain that its for your son) I'd bet that you are offered higher quality putters from members here who have stuff laying around and would want to help you get your son set up.
Second this. I guarantee someone on here will help you out

A wtb thread is a good idea. If I lose out on the next auction I've bid on then I might try that... I've got my eye on a yes! Putter for myself that I've already lost on one auction and bid on a second... If I lose that one I'll just buy it now from amazon.

This thread makes me think I may have spent too much on my putter...

Does it have to be a blue mallet?

I just went into the garage and checked my old bags. I have a Ray Cook Blue Goose II that was my putter when I was a kid.

To get another kid going in golf I'll sell it to you for $1.00 + shipping.

Ray Cook designed and sold putters out of a shop in San Antonio through the 1960's and 70's. Many pros used and won with these putters. The best known from this period is the M1 design.

He sold the company in the mid 70's and the company moved to California. In the mid to late 80's Kia Ma (now with TaylorMade) and Scotty Cameron were both on staff with Ray Cook Golf Co. Some of the early Blue Goose putters are believed to be Scotty designs.

In 2011 the Ray Cook Golf company was purchased at auction by Rock Bottom Golf.

This is why tere is such a large variation of prices for Ray Cook putters.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Back