Course Review: Chehalem Glenn Golf Course

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Webster’s defines a “Glen” as a narrow secluded valley. Although that isn’t a precisely correct description of the Chehalem Glenn Golf Course, it comes close enough to give prospective golfers a sense of what awaits them. This is true because the course is located in the rolling hills which form the heart of Oregon’s wine country, approximately 25 miles west of downtown Portland in the city of Newberg, Oregon.

The modest clubhouse

Practice Area
(Grade: B+)

The practice facilities at Chehalem Glenn are solid, if not spectacular, and offer the golfer everything they need to practice or prepare for their round.

Driving Range – Located across the street from the clubhouse, the range is large enough to utilize all of our clubs and has multiple well marked targets to shoot at. On my most recent visit they had netted baskets for partial shots. I believe the range allows both grass and mats. The range is picturesque, surrounded by a forest and fronted by smartly manicured grounds.

Putting Greens – The course offers two putting greens (one near the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee, another near the driving range). Both perfectly represent the size, speed and undulations that will be experienced on the course, and offer multiple holes to putt to.

Chipping/Sand – The second of the two putting greens (closest to the driving range) is also the short game practice area. It offers bunkers and an array of conditions to work on short game shots. I am not aware that any fairway bunkers are available at the practice facilities.

Driving Range

Course Conditions
(Grade: B)

Superior course conditions are typically a hallmark of Chehalem Glenn. The course is normally extremely well maintained, with beautifully well-defined green fairways, multiple cuts of rough and fast firm greens that roll extremely true. Unfortunately, the course was not quite up to its normal standards on my most recent visit. I suspect this was merely an anomaly. I am basing my grade off this recent experience and not what I have seen during previous rounds. If the course returns to those conditions it would easily deserve an A rating.

Tee Boxes – flat, well defined and properly maintained.

Fairways – cut tight, firm and plush (although on the most recent trip there were signs of discoloration, which may have been invasive grass)

Rough – there are typically multiple cuts of rough. Also, the course smartly uses rough on several holes to protect the golfer from losing their ball to hazards. It can be a tough challenge getting out of this rough, but that is better than taking the penalty.

Sand Traps
– They are properly maintained and the sand is consistent throughout the course.

Greens
– They typically are fast and firm, among the best in the area.

Layout

There is a symmetry to Chahelem Glenn’s routing. The opening four holes mostly run parallel to each other and are mostly placed on gently rolling terrain. This is also the primary characteristic of the closing four holes. The result is that the opening four holes ease us into the round and the closing four holes offer the hope of scoring opportunities. Each set of four has an interior hole that is mostly devoid of any hazard. This is a much appreciated break from the rigors of the rest of the course.

The interior eight holes offer a contrast to the relatively gentle nature of the previously described holes. These holes are routed through rolling hills, a housing development, cross a natural ravine several times and feature more pronounced elevation changes and harder forced carries. Nearly every hole has OB on at least one side. Several holes require course management skills to a) not hit driver off the tee; and b) hit your shot to a particular – usually small – target. The holes where we can hit driver often involve long carries over a deep ravine. While the skilled golfer will more easily appreciate this layout for the diverse golf challenge it presents, the rest of us mere mortals will see it as a bear.

The course offers five sets of tees:
  • Black – 7054 / 74.6 / 145
  • Blue – 6572 / 72.4 / 140
  • White – 6159 / 70.5 / 137
  • Green (long) – 5667 / 68.2 / 131
  • Green (short) – 5511 / 67.4 / 128

Although such diverse tee box options typically allow a course to be more accessible for a wide range of players, I am not sure that is true here. Several of the forced carries and elevation changes could simply be too much for a novice player, regardless of distance.

Chehalem Glenn used to be a tough track with two very flawed holes. To its credit, the course has made some adjustments which have greatly improved the layout.

The par 4 9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole used to feature a 45* angled tee shot through a heavily wooded chute to a very tight landing area which provided absolutely no safe areas to miss. Although not unfair, it was simply too hard for most golfers. The hole is still extremely hard – there is still a small landing area and the second shot is dramatically uphill (as much as two clubs) to a heavily bunkered green with a false front. However, the tee box was moved to make this a straight away hole, allowing the golfer to see the preferred landing area from the tee box.

The 12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole previously played as a par 5 which required the player to hit something other than driver off the tee to find a landing area maybe 25 to 50 square feet in size for a second shot that required a long carry over a large ravine and up a big hill to a preferred landing area. Thankfully, the course has changed the hole, making it a par 4 and placing the new tee boxes at the previous landing area.

In order to stay at par 72 the course has lengthened the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] hole, changing it from a par 4 to a par 5. This hole is now among the weakest on the course because the fairway bunkers are no longer in play for most tee shots. However, as this change was needed to fix the other holes and any easy hole on this course is a welcome respite, it was a wise decision.

Looking at the par 3 5th hole from the tees. Carry the ravine. Avoid the false front but do not go in the bunkers long. Don't miss left (it isn't obvious from the picture but the terrain slopes steeply left, taking most balls OB).

A view from the new and improved 9th tee box. The fairway pointing to the left indicates the general direction of the old tees. Notice the severe downhill then uphill elevation changes. The players shown in the picture are well less than a driver away; the ravine/waste area in front of them gobbles up balls.

A view from behind the 10th tee. Be sure to clear that ravine. Bonus points for reaching a flat landing area.

Pace of play
(Grade: B)

Pace of play is okay at Chehalem Glenn. Because the course is usually in impeccable condition and reasonably priced it can get surprisingly heavy play, considering its more remote location. I always see marshals on the course but the terrain, occasional long distances from greens to tee boxes and difficulty of the course work against pace of play. This is the kind of course where you may not have waited at all to hit shots, but you somehow still end up with a round that lasted nearly 5 hours.

Price
(Grade: A)

The prices offered at Chehalem Glenn are very fair. Current summer midday walking rates are $35 for weekday and $39 for weekend. The price decreases by a few dollars for early bird and twilight rounds. Given the quality of the course, this is a real deal.

The single best promotion Chehalem Glenn offers is this: if it rains at all during your round – even if you complete the round – you get 50% off your next round. As a reminder, this course is in Oregon…it rains a little bit here, so this is a great promotion for golfers.

Although I listed the walking prices (I am a walker at heart), this is a tough course to walk. Even die hard walkers like myself start to second guess the decision somewhere on the back 9. Go ahead and add another $15-$20 to the prices listed above for the cart that you undoubtedly will be very happy you rented.

Amenities
(Grade: D)

Chehalem Glenn supposedly was meant to be private course situated in a somewhat upscale housing community. The development was poorly timed relative to the economic downturn and the course ended up opening as a public course. One clue that this story may be true is that Chehalem Glenn offers fairly modest amenities.

The clubhouse is a manufactured building stocked with basic merchandise. It also includes a snack shop. There are no locker rooms. There is a port-a-potty near the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] green (the back 9 routing takes us near the clubhouse several times so facilities on this part of the course is not really a concern). The course does offer an outdoor tented area for group events, but generally I have not seen this in use as a facility for regular golfers. This is admittedly pretty utilitarian, but on the other hand I have never been unable to get something that I wanted or needed either. This is thanks in part to the cart girls who make the rounds selling beverages and snacks.

Overall

Chehalem Glenn is a diverse, challenging and picturesque golf course (I like that several holes are adjacent to open farm land - it is beautiful hitting an approach to a green that is backed by a field of blossoming produce). The course also offers the opportunity to have a quintessential Oregon day – golf by morning and fine dining with world class locally produced wine in the afternoon and evening. The course is a little out of the way, but it is worth the trek.

Last edited:
Nice review T4K. Nice looking course. Greens look fairly generous, but those fairways have a tight look to them.

Pretty course and fantastic review Frank!

Seems like a great value for the $$.

Well done buddy!

Well done, I played there a few years ago. I found it to be difficult especially in the elevation changes seen around the course.

The last time I played there is when the 9th hole was the dogleg you are referring to. I did not like that hole. Good review of the challenges. I was not aware they made the changes.

The last time I played there is when the 9th hole was the dogleg you are referring to. I did not like that hole. Good review of the challenges. I was not aware they made the changes.

Last time I played it I didn't know either. It was a pleasant surprise. I use to hate #12...just not a fan of par 5s that take driver out of your hand. I was very happy to see that change.

Managed to play there a few years back while visiting in Vancouver. Couldn't stand the 12th as a par 5, one of the worst par 5's I've ever played. Other than that I'll sing high praise for the course.

I remember I aimed straight ahead from the back tees on #9 and snapped a tee shot. I was grumpy thinking I'd have to drop and it was in the fairway lol

I have played this course many times and I will say, the changes to #9 and #12 are the best things that this course could have done for itself. You always went away feeling like you played a nice course that had to make compromises that just plain ruined it.

I played it a month ago and liked it MUCH better and that was even before #12 was fixed.

As was mentioned above, if you think you are going to walk this course and have a nice enjoyable round, think twice. I prefer to walk most all courses and tried to walk this one,,,,,,, Once. I accepted a ride from one of the guys I was paired up with after the 15th hole and would not consider walking it again. I do feel like they get you on the cart rental though as a result of the need to ride. 8 months of the year you can play this course for about $27-$30 but they hit you for $17 for a 1/2 cart.

Still, a great course that is usually in very nice shape!

Back