Walmart Refuses to Sell Alcohol to Man Who Was Shopping with Teen Daughter

I think the whole story and incident sounds overblown to me. A cashier takes the letter of the policy instead of the intent of the policy. I wonder if the sale would have proceeded if the daughter had had an ID so the cashier could see that it was in fact the guy's daughter. I can kind of see how a cashier afraid to sell something (be it alcohol or tobacco) that could be traced to a minor could question this situation given ways some teens will attempt to circumvent the age limits.

Had it happen to my wife and I at Publix. Went to buy a 12 pack and only one of us brought our wallet, wouldn't sell to us since we both didn't have ID.

I have a buddy who lives in Knoxville, IA (30 miles outside DesMoines) who had the same thing happen to him about a month ago....he is 37 years old, and his wife is a younger looking 33 year old... they checked out with a cart full of groceries that included a 24 pack of Bud Light.... his wife left her purse in the car and they wanted to see her ID as well even though he was the one paying... after quite an argument she offered to go get her ID out of the car and the clerk at WM said that wasn't going to work either...since they tried to buy beer without proper ID they would not be allowed to buy any that day regardless....

I would never let my son see me buying alcohol . Never .. Your going to see your 7 year old see that ? Really ? To each there own , but I just couldn't not do that

We're talking alcohol, right? Not a line of coke or a hooker? Because, honestly, I would rather have my 7 year old son (and yes, I have one that is turning 8 next month) see me buy beer than see me buy a bag a chips. The latter has a MUCH greater chance of killing him early than the former, even taking into account drunk drivers.

As for Wal-Mart, don't get me started. I don't shop there but not for the usual reasons. I don't shop there because their store management is generally horrible and leads to black and white interpretations all the time. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said,

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

That could be Wal-Mart's training motto.

I'm going to be an over protective parent . I can't help it , if I could buy a backpack and carry him everywhere I go I would . I know sounds crazy , but I think I have more mother instincts in me than I should :). To each his own , I just couldn't

Chris, I respect your decision, and it's a fine one. Honorable to a degree. I don't follow suit but I can appreciate what you're doing.

But aren't you the same person that posts on the internet about how many Bud Lights you've had during a bad round? Didn't you also post about how good looking the bev cart girl was and that's part of the reason why you were buying so many Bud Lights?

I have a buddy who lives in Knoxville, IA (30 miles outside DesMoines) who had the same thing happen to him about a month ago....he is 37 years old, and his wife is a younger looking 33 year old... they checked out with a cart full of groceries that included a 24 pack of Bud Light.... his wife left her purse in the car and they wanted to see her ID as well even though he was the one paying... after quite an argument she offered to go get her ID out of the car and the clerk at WM said that wasn't going to work either...since they tried to buy beer without proper ID they would not be allowed to buy any that day regardless....

Wow, really? That's just dumb. Why not just let her go get her ID. But, in a world of over centralized big business, discretion is not really allowed anymore I suppose.

~Rock

I once had a liquor store clerk call the manager over to approve my purchase of a fifth of whiskey. He didn't card me (jerk! :D) but he carded my wife. About a month before her 32nd birthday. She didn't have her ID so he let the manager make the call. Fortunately the manager wanted the business more than he wanted to follow that asinine rule.

FWIW, it's not a law. At least not here. It's just a policy.

This actually (to me) isn't much of a story. Went shopping at the local Meijer once before I was 21, along with my cousin (3 months younger than me) and his gf and friend, both were legal age to buy. We tried to separate before the register, but we weren't quick enough and since the cashier initially say the 4 of us together, and then just the 2 girls trying to buy the alcohol, she knew, and therefor refused to sell the alcohol.

Back