Thursday Jul 31 - Sunday Aug 3, 2014
Purse: $3,000,000
Winning Share: $540,000
FedExCup Points: 300

Thurs/Fri/Sat
Golf Channel 6:30pm - 9:00pm

Sun
Golf Channel 7:00pm - 9:30pm

RENO, Nev. -- The Barracuda Championship changed its scoring format for 2012 and is now the only tournament on the PGA TOUR to use the Modified Stableford system. Here are answers to a few questions to help you get acquainted (or perhaps re-acquainted) with the scoring format that will be in place again this week at Montreux Golf and Country Club.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/07/28/stableford-scoring-primer-barracuda.html

It's a shame this tournament shares a weekend with the WGC. Montreaux is a really nice course, I'm sure if it were on a weekend by itself it wouldn't struggle as much as it does and would draw some top players.

I like watching this tournament. My normal Saturday group (12-16 golfers) play a modified stableford format. 8 pts for eagle/double eagle, 4 pts for birdie, 2 pts for par, 1 for bogey, bream even at double and -1 for triple or worse. It's based on hdcp with max of 36. Ex if you have a 20 hdcp you need to get 16 pts to get to even. Money goes to top 3 scores. +4-8 usually wins.

I like watching this tournament. My normal Saturday group (12-16 golfers) play a modified stableford format. 8 pts for eagle/double eagle, 4 pts for birdie, 2 pts for par, 1 for bogey, bream even at double and -1 for triple or worse. It's based on hdcp with max of 36. Ex if you have a 20 hdcp you need to get 16 pts to get to even. Money goes to top 3 scores. +4-8 usually wins.

That's how my Saturday points game is, except it goes over a 9 week period and you have to play at least 5 rounds to get a halfway accurate target number and be eligible for the money. It works really well when you go in playing poorly and then get it together half way through and start pulling 7-10 points a round.

We use it for our Wed afternoon 9 hole game. Works out very well until someone comes in +11pts over their quota lol.

My fantasy team for the Barracuda:

Rory Sabbaweinie
Stuart appleby
Alex Cejka
Nicholas Thompson
Nick Watney
Brian Stuard
Michael Putnam
Brendan Steele
Roberto Castro
Patrick Rodgers

My Barracuda Champions:

Sabbatini
Romero
Appleby
Wagner
Pride
RH Lee
Steele
Henry
Byrd
Bae -NIF Great!

Through Day 1 my picks are 1, 10, 22, 31, 36, 58, 78, 86, 103, 121

1, T6, T31, T36, T45, T58, T58, T68, T86, T103, for me.

2014 Barracuda Championship

What a horrible field. Really shows how lackluster the Tour is after the top 30-50. Fantasy kicked me in the ass again. Took Clark with such a weak field not realizing he made it into the other tournament. Wonder if he was available to pick in other tourney? Hope he wins WGC and nobody could pick him...

Last edited:
After day 2 I stand at 1st, 2 T-6th, T-14th, T-23rd, T-33rd, T-44th, T-56th & 2 also rans at T-100th T-126th.

tgtt - the pay check for winning this one is only $540,000 vs $1,530,000 for the Bridgestone. I know if I were a pro player and had the choice I would certainly play the Bridgestone, Clark was just doing what any of us would have done.

Love this scoring format

Had three guys in contention starting the final round and they go +2, -1 & -5...pretty bad for stableford.

This one has been has been posted in the standings and I moved back into first, it will be close between me and a few folks when the Bridgestone is posted later. I may just stay in 2nd after all is said and done.

Last edited:
Well I hung on to first after both tourney's reported. Would love to be in first in 6 weeks.

Back