nike sq sumo2 hybrid irons vs cleveland hb3

mwilson63

Reaction score
Handicap
I am getting back into golf after a few years and need some help. When I played I had a set of Adams A2 hybrids and am looking for a different set hybrid irons. I found a set of Nike sq sumo2 irons on ebay that I like the look of. A friend of mine told me of a set cleveland hb3 also at a good price. Can ayone give me your opinion on these to help me decide?

I was not a big fan of the Sumo2, but liked the HB3. Sound was a bit higher pitched on the Cleveland.

what sort of budget have you got to spend if you don't mind me asking? because i got a set of nike vr_s x irons new for £200 about a month ago.

I am looking to stay around $200 but that can go up some if needed. I am looking at the nike sumo2 and clevelands due to the way I played with the Adams. If there is something else out there that is game improving I am open to all suggestions. I need all the help I can get.

SUMO2 hybrid sets in good condition still bring a pretty penny, particularly in graphite and even more so if you're trying to go low with the hybrids (I think they made down to a 7). This is a set that has kind of reached a cult status. I think they're good clubs, and I really liked the Sumo/Sumo2 irons.

If you want the all hybrid setup, Cleveland makes XLIs (which were the set before the HB3). I actually liked those better than the HB3 due to the lofts. Because they're another iteration older, the price is lower.

You can find lots of Adams sets in the < $200 range. My favorite is the A4OS because I really liked those hybrids with the Graphite Design shafts. Many like the slotted A12OS which you might be able to pick up if you bargain shop. I prefer the A4OS, but the A12OS are good as well. You'll have to determine how you feel about the transition clubs and the irons. I'm not as much of a fan of the transition clubs on those older Adams sets, but the new Idea set transition irons are fantastic. Unfortunately those new Ideas aren't in your budget.

Finally, you can't go wrong with a set of the SGI Callaways. The 2008 Big Bertha irons with the Ibrids are great (not sure I've ever hit an easier to use 4 iron than that set) and could be had for this price. The Callaway FT ibrids are arguably the most forgiving SGI club Callaway has made recently. You might be able to find a set in that price, but they were mega-expensive initially and still have some value. I really like the Callaway Razr HL set. The first year had a few hybrids and irons and the second year had some transition clubs like Adams. You might be able to find a first year set in steel for your budget. The good thing about the Callaway sets in Uniflex is that you get some room to grow with the shaft because it is kind of a "tweener" between regular and stiff.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help. I found a set of Adams Tech v3r in very good condition for a steal. From what I have read these are some really good irons.

Back