Help me think through my wedge setup/distances

I agree with you, I guess my point before was that you need to be a good enough player to take this approach.

I don't know that I would suggest a 30 handicapper attempt to learn a bunch different kinds of shots. In theory, it could help scoring, but it's just a matter of opportunity cost. That player would be better better off spending his time honing his ball striking and developing some level of consistency.

Learning to hit your wedge 3 different distances is great, but if you duff 5 shots per round, it's not going to help that much.

How do you think one becomes a better player? I learned touch shots as I learned full shots. Knowing how to hit various shots can off set those duffer shots.

I use a PW, 45? A 52 and a 58. I can flop the 58 easy and use the 52 for most chipping unless I have a ton of green.

For me, there wasn't much difference between 52 and 56. So I went this way and work on learning to hit each the distance I need.

How do you think one becomes a better player? I learned touch shots as I learned full shots. Knowing how to hit various shots can off set those duffer shots.

I agree, if you have the skills to reliably hit a 60 degree wedge, without skulling or shanking it, you have the skills to hit it 75% when needed.

I agree with you, I guess my point before was that you need to be a good enough player to take this approach.

I don't know that I would suggest a 30 handicapper attempt to learn a bunch different kinds of shots. In theory, it could help scoring, but it's just a matter of opportunity cost. That player would be better better off spending his time honing his ball striking and developing some level of consistency.

Learning to hit your wedge 3 different distances is great, but if you duff 5 shots per round, it's not going to help that much.
Actually hitting 3/4 or 1/2 shots is probably the best way to work on your swing. A lot of teaching pros use a drill they call 9-3 or L to L to work on making consistent contact. It helps you sync up your rotation and find a consistent bottom to your swing arc. It is something I do regularly on the range for that reason, and the side benefit is I develop a much better short and mid range game that has become more of my go to shot than a full swing.

I guess for me, this is really a case of economics (limited practice time).

What drills and practice are going to help somebody improve the most?

For a guy who shoots 120, "creative wedges" probably isn't where I would spend a lot of time.

For a guy who shoots 90, "creative wedges" might be the perfect place to spend time.

For a guy who shoots 120, "creative wedges" probably isn't where I would spend a lot of time.

For a guy who shoots 90, "creative wedges" might be the perfect place to spend time.

Maybe. It only takes one range session to get a distance for Full vs Half (giving you 2 shots) and Full chocked down, Half Chocked down (giving you 4 shots). I started out half and full shots and now have a 3/4 and and a soft full. Thats 8 shots I can do with each wedge. At the least, having full and half should be in everyone's arsenal.

Maybe. It only takes one range session to get a distance for Full vs Half (giving you 2 shots) and Full chocked down, Half Chocked down (giving you 4 shots). I started out half and full shots and now have a 3/4 and and a soft full. Thats 8 shots I can do with each wedge. At the least, having full and half should be in everyone's arsenal.

Eh. Maybe you guys are right.

I just know I'm helping the girlfriend learn the game, and I don't think trying to teach her a variety of shots is going to help her break 100. It would flood her with a lot of options that she wouldn't know what to do with, or how to execute consistently.

But, I guess that's why I'm some guy typing on the internet and I'm not a golf pro. I could be 100% wrong.

I guess but I don't really trust the distances at my range tbh.

Why take the extreme to prove your point? The guy that shots 120 isn't asking for help with wedge distances.

I have similar distances to you but different wedges.
52* about 105-115
56* about 85-105
And then from about 25-85 yards in I usually hit my 60*. I can usually visualize where I'm going to land the ball on (or around the green) to get it decently close to the pin. I recently started using my 60* a lot more because I like the higher trajectory and I seem to control the spin a little more. My short game has improved so much more because of this.

From 25 yards in I probably use my 56* about 70% of the time, my 60* about 20% of the time, and then my 52* about 9%. The other 1% I'll usually putt or go with an 8 iron for a bump and run, although I'm not really big on doing that.

I agree that you probably don't need 4 wedges. I like to have 4* between each wedge so if it was me I would probably ditch the 60* bc you have the 58. I would just go with a low bounce for the 58* and would go for a higher bounce on the 54*.

I hit pw about 135-140, 52* md2 125-130, 56* md2 115-120, 60* md2 105-110 , use pw for all chipping off short grass and 52* for chipping in longer grass, and use 56* and 60* for chipping over things like bunkers depending on green to work with, anything between 40-100 yards i just hit a 60* with a varying length of backswing trying to keep my ball strike the same, and move it around in my stance to adjust how much spin i want from the 40-100 yard shot

Back